Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Warning signs...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning signs...

Man...today I learned that when the universe is telling you to stay home, you keep your butt at home.

The first sign was the ticket I got on the way to see Captain America (mentioned in the other thread about going for a record). The second, was when I slept until 11 pm because I was up so long during the day. (I'm a night shifter and rarely sleep past 4 or 5 pm, even on nights off.)

I ignored both of those warning signs and decided I just had to go eat at IHOP. But I can't just eat at the ones nearby, that'd be too easy. No, I have cruise around until I find one "empty" enough to feel safe leaving my car in the parking lot while I eat (drunks aren't too careful with their doors, you know). So, while searching for this mystical near-empty IHOP, some moron in a Civic nearly takes my front end with her because she doesn't understand what a yield sign means. (Thank Mitsubishi for the Evo/RA's maneuverability.)

Then, after changing my mind and going to Jack In The Box to grab a sandwich and bring it home, I see tons of cops parked at various intersections with their lights on. It's clear to me something has gone down in the area and they are establishing a perimeter.

Well, I'm literally 2 blocks from my complex, and see a cop leaving the 7-11 parking lot up ahead. He stops kinda short, so I stop to let him out. I figure he's heading to whatever call is going on in the area so I figured his need was a bit more important than mine. After an awkward pause, that ended with me going first, he gets behind me and turns his flashers on....pulling ME over. He gives me a speech about how driving with headphones on is illegal and my car should have a front plate, but doesn't even take my insurance card before handing back my license and tearing butt down the road to where there's another cop with his flashers on.

Obviously I'm glad he didn't give me a ticket. But I know full-well why he pulled me over and it wasn't for headphones or a front plate. My momentary act of kindness probably came off as suspicious to him and he thought I might be driving drunk and wanted to find out.

I should have just stayed home and eaten one of my microwave breakfasts.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

ok ok ok.... I just have to know.... Are you a black guy driving in a white area? or a white guy driving in a black area? Cause the cops really pick on you. LOL or are you unshaven or have dreadlocks or corn rows? Or a nasty mullet? Do you have a nose ring or some other piercings? Or maybe a big tattoo with the words I nailed a cops wife?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
ok ok ok.... I just have to know.... Are you a black guy driving in a white area? or a white guy driving in a black area? Cause the cops really pick on you. LOL or are you unshaven or have dreadlocks or corn rows? Or a nasty mullet? Do you have a nose ring or some other piercings? Or maybe a big tattoo with the words I nailed a cops wife?
You'd certainly think so. But no, I'm just an average white guy in a...mixed area I guess (I sat next to you at the BBQ meet in May). And the stops have been all over the map. North of Allen, South of 635, in my neighborhood, etc.

Lately it just seems I've been the "lucky" one to find the speed traps. The ticket I got in May was *only* because I needed to get a new toll tag after class one day. Absolutely no other reason for me to drive down that road at that time of day. (We even got out of class early that morning, or else the school zone would have been over and there'd have been no stop.) The stop Friday morning was *only* because I beat my friend to the theater and didn't want to sit idling and waiting for him, so I drove around a bit and stumbled into the trap.

I posted in the Spotted thread that I spotted a WW X go past me as I was patiently waiting for my ticket. Don't know if the driver's on this board, but if he is I'd say he owes me a thank you. Had I not found that trap first, I guarantee he would have. Cops just seem to love the cars with the big spoilers. I'd remove mine if I didn't like the look of it so much (and if it didn't prove its worth already by blocking the headlights of cars behind me at night).

I guess the "real" luck comes not on the side of the road, but in the court room. My lawyer only charged me $45 for the bogus school zone ticket and it was dismissed outright in June. According to police records, I'm a mild-mannered, law-abiding driver whose last ticket was in 2003...in another state. According to my lawyer's records, however, I'm The Bandit....or one of them Duke boys. You know how it is....just a good ol' boy...never meanin' no harm...."

Last edited by Bullett; Jul 23, 2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bullett
I'd remove mine if I didn't like the look of it so much (and if it didn't prove its worth already by blocking the headlights of cars behind me at night).

Window tint and the small flip switch on your rear view mirror
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:35 AM

Window tint and the small flip switch on your rear view mirror
Flip switch for what?
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Bullett
Flip switch for what?
There is a small flipper on your rear view mirror that changes the amount of light that's transmitted to your eyes. By changing the angle of the mirror just the right amount it lessens the amount of light that shines in yours eyes.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 05:51 AM

There is a small flipper on your rear view mirror that changes the amount of light that's transmitted to your eyes. By changing the angle of the mirror just the right amount it lessens the amount of light that shines in yours eyes.
Ahh. Well, I have both tint and the switch, though I never mess with the switch. The spoiler prevents that need.

I just like how it looks and replacing the entire trunk lid with the one from a "touring package" (to avoid holes in the trunk lid) is far down on my list of upcoming mods.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:05 PM

I resemble that comment and I never have issues with cops. Usually flash my badge and get a "have a nice day" due to professional courtesy.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by krisiun
I resemble that comment and I never have issues with cops. Usually flash my badge and get a "have a nice day" due to professional courtesy.
Can I borrow it?
Old Jul 24, 2011, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by krisiun
Since when were you a cop?
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

He's an RN.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mrMTB
He's an RN.

Yeah I know that. RN's don't have "Badges" an ID sure not a "Badge". Unless he used to work for a city under the fire dept.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 05:42 AM

I got another "warning sign" today. Got into my car at work, drove about 40 feet and my low tire pressure light came on and stayed on all the way home (I drove slow and easy to be safe).

When I got here, the light went off and wouldn't come back. I whipped out my gauge and checked and all my tires were at the same level -- just a shade under 30 psi. So I went to the station and brought 'em all up to 35, give or take. Near as I can figure, they were all lower than they should be, but no one tire was any lower. Maybe it was my car's way of telling me to check my pressure and stop trusting the people I got it from.

I guess I'll know for sure when I leave this afternoon to go back to work. Sure wasn't what I expected (or wanted) to see when heading home this morning.
Old Jul 25, 2011, 09:16 AM

^^^^ Fix it! Cops're gonna' pull you over for low tire pressure next.