Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Black Friday deals?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2011, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kracka
With Black Friday being next week already, who's planning on getting what?

Personally, I think I'm going to do a new TV for my living room. Looks like Best Buy is going to have a 50" Panasonic plasma for $599. I currently have a 40" Samsung LCD so it should be a nice upgrade.
still the best for me....Samsung....so real like water.

the downside is this everytime.....i remember the walmart incident in long island ny..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPub7...eature=related

Last edited by ak47m203; Nov 16, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 05:59 PM
T6
Evolving Member

Im gonna look for an amazing deal on a bigger and better brain.

On another note, I might pull the trigger on an ipad2 but most likely will get the samsung 10.1 as I have one sitting at home temporarily. Instead of getting a laptop, i think I am gonna get a touch pad for conference calls or personal skype chats.

I think I do not like about the samsung 10.1 is the fact that you need to shut the thing down to charge it... wtf?

For TV's the US market isnt that familiar with Sharps but they are AMAZING, you wont be disappointed with them if you go with it. My list is like Sony > Sharp > Samsung > Panasonic the rest is just garbage imo. Have fun and dont freeze your *** off too much next friday at 4am waiting for the stores if you are.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:56 PM
Evolving Member

Please dont tell me you're a laptop every year shopper. So much money is wasted on walmart laptops, there is a reason people find themselves staying up all night in line every year for a new laptop, but no one ever realizes it because ZOMG LAPTOP $150 DO WANT
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I buy a new laptop every year... then again I use it 8-16 hours a day 5-7 days a week, so after a year it's beat to hell. I don't buy cheap ones though
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Don't forget about these Black Friday Deals:

"Extreme Turbo Systems

Save up to 15% at ExtremeTurboSystems.Com
It's that time of the year again... The Holdays! ETS would like to thank all of our loyal customers and new customers by offering up to 15% off ETS Products! You do not need a coupon code. The discount will be calculated at checkout. Add the items to your cart to see the savings. 15% off on Intercoolers, Intercooler Kits, Intercooler Piping. 10% off on Turbo Kits, Exhaust Manifolds and Exhaust Systems. This sale will last from now until 11/25 at midnight."
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Thanks!

Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

TV wise, the hierarchy goes like this (those who know me know i'm a major audio/videophile)

1) Pioneer Kuro Plasma (been discontinued for two years, STILL the best picture quality ever produced on a TV)
2) Panasonic Plasma (bought bunch of pioneer's tech when they shut down, latest generation is very very close to matching the kuro. But only buy their higher end ones (3d and non-3d) as that's where the nice PQ is. AKA no s-class tvs
3) Sony XBR LCDs Best LCDs out there, but no match for the panasonic pq. thinner and less heat though, so nice
4) Sharp, LG, Samsung, etc etc etc Little known fact, there's only 3 manufacturers who actually make LCD panels. And almost everyone uses samsung panels. So they're all the same damn tv. Buy the one w/ the aesthetics you like, or the warranty, or the lowest price.

Also, ignore the in-store displays. They're useless. A bright tv isn't a good tv, and they just turn up the brightness on them all. Turn down the brightness, and get it calibrated properly. Or, find a tv w/ THX calibration mode. Thats usually very nice out of the box.

Don't be scared of plasma. Image retention hasn't been a real issue for ten years, it was a first-gen issue, and we're at like gen 20. Ghosting while gaming was an issue, but the last several years panasonic was able to overcome that (from the tech bought from pioneer). So no worries about gaming on them either.
And for 3d, plasma works the best as the refresh rate is way faster than LCD. The whole "480 Hz" lcd thing is bs. All marketing speak. For 3d, plasma is the best way to go.

Last edited by chkmgnt59; Nov 18, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Actually there are four. Samsung, Sharp, NEC, and Hitachi. Samsung in Korea the others in Japan.

I agree the plasmas look mighty nice, but the really good LCD's are just as good. Problem is you have to spend real serious money to get the really good LCD's and you cant get them at CompUSA or other retail site.

The real problem with a lot of LCD or LED TV's is the mistruths about the specs. They will say "120 Hz TV"...unfortunatly thats at 480P... at 1080 P however the screen is smearing and waxing shadows so badly its at maybe 24Hz.

So just look at the specs to see before buying plasma or LED/LCD Any TV with a TRUE 60Hz at 1080 P is perfect for viewing high speed movies and wont result is smearing or tearing. Generally they will say in the specs something like 1080P_60. Most ones on the market wont do the 60Hz at 1080P. Be wary.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Actually there are four. Samsung, Sharp, NEC, and Hitachi. Samsung in Korea the others in Japan.

I agree the plasmas look mighty nice, but the really good LCD's are just as good. Problem is you have to spend real serious money to get the really good LCD's and you cant get them at CompUSA or other retail site.

The real problem with a lot of LCD or LED TV's is the mistruths about the specs. They will say "120 Hz TV"...unfortunatly thats at 480P... at 1080 P however the screen is smearing and waxing shadows so badly its at maybe 24Hz.

So just look at the specs to see before buying plasma or LED/LCD Any TV with a TRUE 60Hz at 1080 P is perfect for viewing high speed movies and wont result is smearing or tearing. Generally they will say in the specs something like 1080P_60. Most ones on the market wont do the 60Hz at 1080P. Be wary.
Trueish enough. You actually want a tv with a refresh rate multiple of 24. As blu-ray is filmed and displayed at 1080P_24. On a 60hz screen, the player has to interpolate.

And find me a lcd of any kind that can do blacks even remotely close to what a kuro or latest-gen panny can do. Color reproduction is just as good, but the reference display by which all others are judged is still the 9th gen Kuro from 2008.

Do any major manufacturers actually use NEC or Hitachi panels? I knew sharp has their own, and obviously hitachi uses theirs. I thought visio, lg, sammy, etc all use the samsung panels. Could be wrong, I don't pay enough attention to LCDs until I see their black level performance be somewhat decent
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah all the Professional Sharp LCD TV that are LED backlit will do pure blacks. Of course they are pricey. You will spend about 6K for a really strong true 60 Hz 1080P TV is the 60 inch range. I paid 2800 for my 46 inch one. The really best ones are LCD with LED backlit which also means they are thick. Mine is about 3.5 inches thick. Kelly and I need to have you and the wife over for dinner anyway. I'll show you then. Of course no one has come up with a replacement for my DLP projector.....
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Yeah all the Professional Sharp LCD TV that are LED backlit will do pure blacks. Of course they are pricey. You will spend about 6K for a really strong true 60 Hz 1080P TV is the 60 inch range. I paid 2800 for my 46 inch one. The really best ones are LCD with LED backlit which also means they are thick. Mine is about 3.5 inches thick. Kelly and I need to have you and the wife over for dinner anyway. I'll show you then. Of course no one has come up with a replacement for my DLP projector.....

Well.. JVC's newest projectors are very nice. LCoS tech. I wish I had one, but i'm not throwing 10k at a projector, not while there's still cars to be had and improved.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
Well.. JVC's newest projectors are very nice. LCoS tech. I wish I had one, but i'm not throwing 10k at a projector, not while there's still cars to be had and improved.
Yeah I looked at them... just not as bright as the DLP..
Old Nov 18, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

1. Sony XBR
2. Panasonic

Samsung makes an acceptable quality cell phone, but the image quality on their TV's is poor. They lean a little too much towards green for me. Panasonic makes a good product. Can't go wrong with them. You have to pay a lot to see a little difference in image quality... kinda like cars... once you have built your car up to go fast, it takes more and more money to make it just a little bit faster.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Even though we're in gen xxx of plasma, I've still had some burn like symptoms after my son has had marathon 4:3 content watching marathons. It's faint.

My FILs Pioneer plasma has an auto source detection routine to auto stretch to avoid this.

Personally I watch so much "low def" (ie. 99% of my watching is of tv rip avi files, upscaled by my NMT), a super duper great PQ really isn't my main concern
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

yea in your case then, no point on spending the big bucks. the day I heard the kuro was going away I went and bought two :-) haven't regretted that since

Quick Reply: Black Friday deals?