Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Black Friday deals?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Supraboy1
Absolutely you can see a difference between 720p and 1080p and then again to 2K and 4K both the newest tech.
I couldn't. I was standing at Best Buy with a 720p on one side and a 1080p on the other and I couldn't tell a difference at all.

Also, a little-known fact. Unless you're watching a blu-ray all the time, 1080p is useless. Most cable/satellite providers do not have the capability to broadcast in anything over 720p.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bullett
I couldn't. I was standing at Best Buy with a 720p on one side and a 1080p on the other and I couldn't tell a difference at all.

Also, a little-known fact. Unless you're watching a blu-ray all the time, 1080p is useless. Most cable/satellite providers do not have the capability to broadcast in anything over 720p.
Zune actually does broadcast in 1080p with 7.1 audio. I watch Blu-ray every chance I get, especially since it is only $0.20 more expensive now than DVD with Redbox. Directv has 1080p, if you are willing to pay. Hell Netflix for $8 a month has 720p+...
Old Dec 3, 2011, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bullett
Little-known because its completely untrue.

Any provider can do any resolution. It is up to the channel. Fox does 720. CBS is 1080. Discovery is 1080. etc etc etc. The real issue is they all compress the picture to make it easier on their cables - except for fios, which sends everything uncompressed.

There's lots of people saying lots of incorrect info here. Anything you've heard at best buy is most likely wrong. If you want to actually know what you're talking about, spend a few months at avsforums.com. Then you can at least give accurate info. E.G. 720 v 1080. You can tell, but for most people, screens below 42" you can't tell.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by SiliconTek
Zune actually does broadcast in 1080p with 7.1 audio. I watch Blu-ray every chance I get, especially since it is only $0.20 more expensive now than DVD with Redbox. Directv has 1080p, if you are willing to pay. Hell Netflix for $8 a month has 720p+...
Some have been making small strides in the 1080p area. But I know Time Warner doesn't have much, if any 1080p and I primarily watch my movies from DVR recordings. I may upgrade as they inch closer to wide-spread 1080p, but when I got my TV, it wasn't necessary.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by chkmgnt59
Little-known because its completely untrue.

Any provider can do any resolution. It is up to the channel. Fox does 720. CBS is 1080. Discovery is 1080. etc etc etc. The real issue is they all compress the picture to make it easier on their cables - except for fios, which sends everything uncompressed.

There's lots of people saying lots of incorrect info here. Anything you've heard at best buy is most likely wrong. If you want to actually know what you're talking about, spend a few months at avsforums.com. Then you can at least give accurate info. E.G. 720 v 1080. You can tell, but for most people, screens below 42" you can't tell.
It may be less true now. But when I bought my TV a year or two ago it was true. And even if it is dependent on the channel, if they all compress the signal, it's the same effect.

And the least untrue I said was about telling the difference. I stood next to 2 units showing the same thing and couldn't tell the difference at all.