Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Results after Huge Hail Storm

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2012, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acts of god. Ouch !!!! Well I'm glad to see that it worked out for you . My buddy got hammered by a hail storm on the way back ffrom las Vegas ! It felt like we were being hit with golf ***** .. Not a fun time. Lol
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Bullett
No clue where you got this from. See, in 2012 we have these people called weather forecasters and this thing called radar. They let us know when bad storm are coming. If we pay attention to them, we can move our cars *before* the hail arrives and then no one is at risk.
So Trade Secret is supposed to suspend all business operations and cram as many cars into their shop as possible every time a potential storm may be headed our way? According to the OP, they had approximately 48 cars in their possession at the time, exactly how much time do you suspect it would take to jockey 48 cars around a shop/lot? That alone is going to kill a full day of productivity considering they'd all have to be moved twice, not to mention put work in-progress at risk of imperfections and/or contamination. I think you need to get real and realize we don't drive priceless exotics, and yes, acts of God can and do occur no matter where your car is, and again, is exactly why you should carry insurance with a deductible you can reasonably afford.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
So Trade Secret is supposed to suspend all business operations and cram as many cars into their shop as possible every time a potential storm may be headed our way? According to the OP, they had approximately 48 cars in their possession at the time, exactly how much time do you suspect it would take to jockey 48 cars around a shop/lot? That alone is going to kill a full day of productivity considering they'd all have to be moved twice, not to mention put work in-progress at risk of imperfections and/or contamination. I think you need to get real and realize we don't drive priceless exotics, and yes, acts of God can and do occur no matter where your car is, and again, is exactly why you should carry insurance with a deductible you can reasonably afford.
They take the car into their possession, they assume all responsibility for what happens while it's in their care. And you could have a deductible you could afford....but the OP stated he had to pay it a second time. That would get pricey even with some of the cheaper deductibles.

I don't care if I give them an Aston Martin or a Fiesta. If it's there to be repaired, the last thing I want is for them to have to repair it again because they chose to leave it out where a reasonable and foreseeable situation causes more damage to it.

Hell even a dealership gives discounts on cars left outside in a hail storm. No reason at all a repair place can't do the same.

"Oh we know you just had a couple of dings...but now with the broken windshield, your interior was flooded, and the seats were ruined so you'll need to pay us to fix that too."

(Days later)

"Oh yes, we fixed the interior and the windshield, then the back windows were damaged by hail and the exterior is jacked-up again. You'll need to pay us for that as well."

(More days later)

"See, what happened was it stormed again and ....."

Yeah right. Again...at some point common sense has to come into play. I know these days common sense isn't really common. But there has to be a line somewhere.

Here's....just a thought...I know it's going to sound crazy. If they can't protect the number of cars they take in.... maybe....I'm just spit-balling here....maybe don't take that many in? I think someone else said they have less than 10 interior spaces for cars. So why have 48 there at one time? They can't work on 48 simultaneously so the rest are just sitting there.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
TS sucks...overpriced, slow and have to do everything twice. GTI in Euless is way better
I COULD NOT AGREE MORE Trade Secret is HORRIBLE !

When my car was there in March and there were hail storms - I called and told them to put my car in the shop. The receptionist told me my representative (anthony) wasn't there (as usual) and they would pull in all the EXPENSIVE cars and if they have room they put in the Evos, STI's, etc. She said my car was "at the bottom of the list" lolol. They do not care about your car unless it had a sticker price of $100k plus imo.

That was one of the MANY horrible things I experienced at Trade Secret. They scammed me and my insurance, did a horrible job, I had to go up there from Fort Worth (100 miles round-trip) FOUR times in three weeks. The work done to my car should have been less than a week.

They cannot be trusted imo.

The paint job they did to my car sucks ***** btw.

They suck. I cant tell people this enough. Every time I look at my fender I just shake my head and say F*CK Trade Secret lol.

Last edited by Russell K; Sep 11, 2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:33 AM
Evolved Member

Hell even a dealership gives discounts on cars left outside in a hail storm. No reason at all a repair place can't do the same.
Dealerships carry insurance on their inventory, as it is their inventory. Shops do not own your car therefore their shop insurance is only applicable if the damage was by their own hand, they have no control over what mother nature does to your car therefore you insure it. Don't want your car sitting outside? Then don't leave it at the shop until they're ready to work on it. When my coworker had hail damage repaired she was given the choice to leave the car at the shop and drive a rental OR keep driving her damaged car and they'd call her when the new parts arrived and they were ready to perform the repairs.

Last edited by Kracka; Sep 11, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

Dealerships carry insurance on their inventory, as it is their inventory. Shops do not own your car therefore their shop insurance is only applicable if the damage was by their own hand, they have no control over what mother nature does to your car therefore you insure it. Don't want your car sitting outside? Then don't leave it at the shop until they're ready to work on it. When my coworker had hail damage repaired she was given the choice to leave the car at the shop and drive a rental OR keep driving her damaged car and they'd call her when the new parts arrived and they were ready to perform the repairs. Personal decisions require personal responsibility.
Why are you defending Trade Secret so much? What interest do you have in defending them this much? I would just let it go. Some people had a bad experience with them. Dont down play the seriousness of allegations against Trade Secret.

I can say with all confidence that they ripped me off, did not do a good job on my car, and lied to me repeatedly.

I am NOT happy with the work they did, but I am stuck with it. I cant afford a lawyer or I would get one.

I am VERY angry about the whole situation to be very honest about it.

I will not and cannot go into the whole story here. I just dont want to put forth the effort. I do not stay "online" much and do not like forum drama BUT I feel somewhat obligated to express my opinion here.

There are lots of car guys in the area that agree with my opinion. I have talked with several people who had no interest in making money from me tell about Trade Secret. I have seen other cars that have been at Trade Secret and the results are always the same - sub par at best. I just wish I would have done more research before leaving my Evo at Trade Secret. I was in a rush to fix. I will never make that mistake again.

Why you would want to keep recommending these guys and defending them is beyond me.

Bottom Line is if you care about your car take your time, do your research and stay away from Trade Secret. Thats my advice only.

Last edited by Russell K; Sep 11, 2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:44 AM
Evolved Member

I know nothing of your situation nor am I defending them, I am taking a reasonable and realistic approach to the situation just like I would for any shop, business, etc. If you're unhappy, take it up with them and your insurance company.

I recommend them because they've done excellent work on my cars and many other local Evos. They're not the fastest, but the end result is what matters to me (which has been excellent on the cars I have personal experience with).
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

I know nothing of your situation nor am I defending them, I am taking a reasonable and realistic approach to the situation just like I would for any shop, business, etc. If you're unhappy, take it up with them and your insurance company.

I recommend them because they've done excellent work on my cars and many other local Evos. They're not the fastest, but the end result is what matters to me (which has been excellent on the cars I have personal experience with).
Oh I know you wouldnt know anything about my situation nor will anyone else. I didnt expect anyone to already know lol. But I did list some concerning things that happened to me didnt I or am I missing something here?

A realistic and reasonable approach to business would have been to treat me the exact opposite of how they treated me. No one will convince me they are a "good" shop.

I did take it up with my insurance and with Trade Secret. TS took my car across the street for a few hours while I waited - f*cked it up some more and left it with me saying thats all they could do. I took it back to them several times and made them redo several things while it was there. I didnt care if it took a year, I wasnt concerned with time. I wanted everything done RIGHT and not half ***. They did EVERYTHING half ***, nothing they did could be called "quality work" imo.

Like I said, I didnt want to get into a long story, but dont you think I know how to fix the situation? Telling me if "I am unhappy take it up with them and the insurance" lolol - you make it seem so easy. Its not. Thats such a cocky attitude to have.

Progressive is done with the claim and Trade Secret is done with me. Its been four months and there is no resolution possible at this point.

I am done with this, I really dont care to go on and on about this lol. No offense Kracka, I think youre a good dude and do alot for the Evo Community so I respect you for that. Lets just agree to disagree lol. I am rarely on here and dont want to turn this into a long thread.

Last edited by Russell K; Sep 11, 2012 at 07:11 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Agree to disagree, seems like a fantastic idea at this point. It's unfortunate to hear how unhappy you are and I do wish there was something I could do to help, but it sounds like you've done what you feel is the best that can be done at this point. If you ever care to share more, and would like my input in private, feel free to PM me and we'll go from there.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

WOW Russel K, this is a HUGE turn around from your private messages to me when I took the time to offer some help/advice regarding TS. You exclaimed extreme happiness with your car other than the length of time to took to fix. I have said from day one... they are slower than molasses. But I and others feel they do exceptional work.

Personally Kracka has have two cars worked on, I have had three, others more. Other than slow.... the finished product has been fantastic. If you don't agree that's OK, but....

Please don't get a forum troll that never comes to any meets or events, I have personally invited you many times and would love to meet you, and see your car.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Bullett,

Acts of GOD are not held against you for insurance rates... PERIOD. A dealership does not take responsibility for your car other than damage they cause directly. The only indirect responsibility they have is theft or vandalism.

This is why everyone should have full coverage insurance with a reputable company with a trusted agent.

Life happens.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 02:40 PM

Gee, I was just looking for lil validation, props, and most likely some criticism
I wasnt b!tch!ng about TS or trying to start trouble between fellow EVO brethern. I've actually had a good experience with the exception of mother natures delays. I like Anthony and the Father Son team that worked on my car (Bo and Colton), I dont even hold it against them that they both own WRXs I like the fact that they are enthusiasts too. I made several trips to check on progress or answer questions too, however I live like 7 miles from them so I enjoyed it. Would suck to make that trip from FW though. I ended taking the car from them on Friday even though there was some minor touch up to be done cuz I just needed my evo fix and they were very understanding.
I am self employed and I work for very wealthy and picky people. I am proud and protective of my reputation. However, it seems like I do 100 jobs in row to perfection then I get that 1 job that anything that can go wrong will go wrong. I am more than willing to do anything it takes to make the job right if Im allowed to by my usually understanding customers. Some ppl are just born dix though and get all pissy and want stuff for free. I guess my point is, no one is perfect, sux if some have had a bad experience.

back on topic now. the roof looks sweet huh?
Old Sep 11, 2012, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

I was being as nice as i could be to you. I really dont remember what we talked about via pm other than going on a cruise to Austin that I couldnt afford to go on.

I had problems with those guys from day one. I was just happy to have my car back from them.

I didnt tell anyone (including you) the problems I have with the job they did because everyone here seems so happy with TS and love these guys so much that I didnt want my criticism to "fall on deaf ears" as my grampa used to say. I just dont like to stir the pot.

I am far from a troll. I rarely post in here or even visit this forum much. Thats not how a troll would act lol.

I just read this guys post and felt empathy for him and couldnt understand Krackas pov. I felt inclined to post. I dont post alot of topics but have been a member of this board for quite a long time.

A "troll" lol - thats not exactly how you get someone to attend a meet. That was not the statement I thought I would hear from someone in this forum. Its that kind of attitude that will keep people like me away from meets.

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
WOW Russel K, this is a HUGE turn around from your private messages to me when I took the time to offer some help/advice regarding TS. You exclaimed extreme happiness with your car other than the length of time to took to fix. I have said from day one... they are slower than molasses. But I and others feel they do exceptional work.

Personally Kracka has have two cars worked on, I have had three, others more. Other than slow.... the finished product has been fantastic. If you don't agree that's OK, but....

Please don't get a forum troll that never comes to any meets or events, I have personally invited you many times and would love to meet you, and see your car.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Supraboy1
A dealership does not take responsibility for your car other than damage they cause directly. The only indirect responsibility they have is theft or vandalism.
That makes it sound like they could park the car on train tracks and then accept no responsibility when a train destroys it because they weren't driving the train....just doesn't fly. Leaving a car in the path of a destructive storm is the same as leaving it on the train tracks. It's a reasonable and foreseeable danger.

Personally, I wouldn't leave mine long enough to risk that (like Kracka said), but some have no choice (probably why they have 48 cars on the lot). I just don't like the "our cars aren't high-priced exotics) mentality as that somehow suggests that they are inferior or not worth good care and service because they don't cost $100K. The people at Cars & Coffee have that mindset and it pisses me off. I saved for two years to afford my car and it's the only one I have. Without it, I don't get to work everyday. To me, that makes it even more dependent on good service because I have to have it to get to my job. It's not a weekend toy for me.
Old Sep 12, 2012, 05:45 AM
Evolving Member

That makes it sound like they could park the car on train tracks and then accept no responsibility when a train destroys it because they weren't driving the train....just doesn't fly. Leaving a car in the path of a destructive storm is the same as leaving it on the train tracks. It's a reasonable and foreseeable danger.

Personally, I wouldn't leave mine long enough to risk that (like Kracka said), but some have no choice (probably why they have 48 cars on the lot). I just don't like the "our cars aren't high-priced exotics) mentality as that somehow suggests that they are inferior or not worth good care and service because they don't cost $100K. The people at Cars & Coffee have that mindset and it pisses me off. I saved for two years to afford my car and it's the only one I have. Without it, I don't get to work everyday. To me, that makes it even more dependent on good service because I have to have it to get to my job. It's not a weekend toy for me.
Now your just being silly, I clearly said ACTS OF GOD. Taking your car parking it on a train track is not an ACT of GOD nor is that indirect damage.

As far as the hierarchy of life. Its always been like that and always will be. You don't see at a night club where a valet has parked a blacked out Raliart... you will see a Ferrari, Aston Martin etc. Its several factors, 1. they tip more, 2. the club wants people to see PRESTIGE, that they are hip, 3. a Ferrari costs way more to repair than a Mitsubishi; that's just a fact and if there is a lawsuit etc who can better afford an attorney to go after them?

Quick Reply: Results after Huge Hail Storm