Notices
North Texas Evo Club (NTEC) For discussions in and around North Texas

Results after Huge Hail Storm

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2012, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Results after Huge Hail Storm

Hello NTEC! My car got hit with one major hail storm by Northpark Mall a couple of months ago and ANOTHER hail storm in Plano a couple of weeks ago while it was still sitting on the lot at Trade Secrets! Its not over yet. Its real close though. Picked up my car Friday even though we found some minor issues. I couldnt take it anymore, I needed my evo fix and I had a set of brand new Rota Grids sitting in my living room just mocking me. Gonna take her back some time this week to correct minor ripples close to the roof rails on the drivers side. I pretty sure this is from the 2nd hail storm. There are some weird blemishes/blushing in the clear coat on the hood and roof and a pretty deep scratch in the tint on the back window. Other than that, I couldnt be happier with the roof (just noticed crooked antenna, thats NOT going to work for me) and trunk. The hood is sh!tty. Several manufacturing defects like dimples. Seibon and Showstoppers have not even bothered to return my phone calls or emails. Oh well, it is what it is. Kind of expect it from carbon fiber/fiberglass parts.Speaking of fiber glass, the roof reeks of fiberglass resin in the cabin lol, something I didnt anticipate but makes sense. The roof and trunk did not have much of an effect at all on the stereo acoustics although you can really see the deck lid vibrate with the bass. No additional road noise from the roof, may even be a lil quieter. Loving the wheels too. Its been a major pain in the *** but I definitely feel like we came out ahead. In the end the grand total from damage including parts and labor, $12,000! That does not include rims and tires. Gotta hurry up do some performance mods now though! All show and no go. Here are a few pics

sorry if this is too many pics, I tried to post a link, wouldnt work for reason
Old Sep 9, 2012, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car looks nice but 12 K?!?! Heck you should have up that as a down payment on another toy and just used your evo as a rally car. What kind of trunk is that? Do-Luck?
Old Sep 9, 2012, 04:52 PM

The cost kept growing, I think they got 3 supplement checks from insurance and then the car got hit with hail again right before they put the roof and deck lid on which required a second claim. It's been a nightmare. I've owned the car less than a year, still owe too much to be a dedicated rally car, that would be awesome though! The trunk is the CSL style by Seibon.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 05:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Oh your insurance covered it? Lol I thought that came out of your pocket lol.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:16 PM

I think I'd let TS cover some. If they let it sit out, that's on them. I had/have/will have a garage where I live, which means if the car's in my possession, it doesn't get additional storm damage. If it got additional damage when in their care, they need to repair it.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Trade Secret can't control the weather, that's why we all [should] carry full coverage insurance.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, wife's car got hammered last year @ BMW of Dallas. Their insurance doesn't cover acts of god. You have to carry full coverage.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:08 AM

TS sucks...overpriced, slow and have to do everything twice. GTI in Euless is way better
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kracka
Trade Secret can't control the weather, that's why we all [should] carry full coverage insurance.
The car's still in their care. They control where it's kept when the weather is bad.

It ain't an "act of god" if the humans park the car out in the open during a storm knowing full-well it's there to have hail damage removed. At that point, it becomes a reasonable and foreseeable occurrence. If the news says hail is on the way, and they leave the car outside knowing that, it becomes an active choice on their part that could reasonably be expected to result in more damage, thus more business for them. Who's to say if the insurance reps cut yet another check....and then another storm blows through...and it's left out again....etc. At some point common sense has got to come into play.

Last edited by Bullett; Sep 10, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Life happens, get over it. OP has insurance, and I'd rather an already damaged car become damaged further than have a repaired car become damaged again. There is only so much effort they can reasonably be expected to make. With all the hail work being done shops are booked solid, it wouldn't surprise me if their shop was already full of cars in the process of being repaired while the cars waiting sat outside.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup. Buddy runs a body shop and he's backed up still from months ago. There's not enough covered parking at these places to "actively protect your baby" anyway, so I don't know what you expect.

Also if it's hailing, are they supposed to risk their life to move your car? Seems... odd that that's what you value more. The hail that hit Amy's car was softball sized, and spiky.

Guys... I realize this might offend you... but it's just a car. It's not your child or even your pet. Guess what, they made thousands of them.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Guys... I realize this might offend you... but it's just a car. It's not your child or even your pet. Guess what, they made thousands of them.

When it comes down to it, metal and plastic can all be repaired. I take care of my car the best I can while attempting to protect it from the elements, but I also carry good insurance so I'm able to value my safety and that of others far more than that of my car.

Last edited by Kracka; Sep 10, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 02:43 PM

I have had several ppl say TS should pay, it should have been covered. They are slammed like every body shop in town is. There's at least 40 cars on the lot and maybe 8 covered bays including paint booths. Ever seen the damage caused by awnings, covered parking, and roofs that are destroyed by high winds? Its one of the main reasons besides cost that most dealerships don't have them. TS is surrounded by dealerships there all got nailed with this storm, including a Mitsu dealership that now has 13 hail damaged Evos on the lot not to mention EVERY single other car on the lot including all their goofy looking electric cars.
I was just pissed I had to pay ANOTHER deductible lol

So anyway, now that its done, do you all think its too Ricey? I was torn between painting and not painting the hood and trunk. My wife loves the CF, so it was a pretty easy decision to go unpainted for the time being. I had been planning on doing my own flat white wrap eventually until I recently saw a white plastidipped evo. Its cheaper, easier, and also temporary. Whats everyone's thought on plastidipping?
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by goofygrin
Also if it's hailing, are they supposed to risk their life to move your car? Seems... odd that that's what you value more.
No clue where you got this from. See, in 2012 we have these people called weather forecasters and this thing called radar. They let us know when bad storm are coming. If we pay attention to them, we can move our cars *before* the hail arrives and then no one is at risk.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Prickuliar
I was just pissed I had to pay ANOTHER deductible lol
And this, kids, is why the "life happens, that's why you have insurance" argument doesn't work. If you have to shell out the deductible every time a storm rolls through, eventually you'll not be able to afford to get the car fixed at all.

When I need something done to my car, I make sure it can be done in one day. The one time that wasn't possible, the fine folks at Cobb left it inside on the lift. I think it's safe to say Cobb does tons of business on tons of cars, many that are more expensive than mine.

Quick Reply: Results after Huge Hail Storm