Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MondoBongo
i had the stock airbox with a k&n drop in. worked just fine for me till it got dirty. i was too lazy to clean it so i just tossed in one of the extra stock filters i had laying around.

travis may want to chime in here. he was doing a good bit of testing in his air flow rates for the stock air box vs and aftermarket intake. i believe he said he was able to flow a couple more lbs/min of air up top with the after market piece.

-edit- travis beat me to it. ;]
Indeed I have.....been back and forth numerous times w/ numerous filters myself.

Second note:

I have also been able to hold about 2 psi more boost up top on the cone filter, stock intake at 100% wgdc fell to 20 no matter what. Cone at 100% I can get it to hold upper 22's....4th gear it will hold 23 no problem.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by travman
Indeed I have.....been back and forth numerous times w/ numerous filters myself.

Second note:

I have also been able to hold about 2 psi more boost up top on the cone filter, stock intake at 100% wgdc fell to 20 no matter what. Cone at 100% I can get it to hold upper 22's....4th gear it will hold 23 no problem.
Thanks once again for your input Trav.. always appreciated I will have to take a look at these different intakes later. I may hit you up for that AEM, whats your price?

One other question is there some sort of Stock Evo Ecu terminology for dummies guide? I have a good idea how some of these variables play into the big equation but Im not positive... If not am I correct in saying the WGDC does not come into play if your using an MBC? Only when load controlled/boost controlled right?

Thanks
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIan
Thanks once again for your input Trav.. always appreciated I will have to take a look at these different intakes later. I may hit you up for that AEM, whats your price?

One other question is there some sort of Stock Evo Ecu terminology for dummies guide? I have a good idea how some of these variables play into the big equation but Im not positive... If not am I correct in saying the WGDC does not come into play if your using an MBC? Only when load controlled/boost controlled right?

Thanks
Yeah mbc is what controls the wastegate to regulate boost so you are at its mercy with how boost comes on and tapers off....with no adjustment but how much peak boost do u want to run.

(I am speaking from a stock turbo that will taper)
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by travman
Yeah mbc is what controls the wastegate to regulate boost so you are at its mercy with how boost comes on and tapers off....with no adjustment but how much peak boost do u want to run.

(I am speaking from a stock turbo that will taper)
Ok thanks... Mine never had as much of a noticeable taper as I have heard others mention. It would usually peak and hold fairly consistent right up to redline. Maybe thats due to mine still being so stockish
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Ok thanks... Mine never had as much of a noticeable taper as I have heard others mention. It would usually peak and hold fairly consistent right up to redline. Maybe thats due to mine still being so stockish
What kind of boost are you running?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:04 PM

21-22 lbs.... up til I started having the knock issues I was telling you about in the fall.

Which by the way I got all my exhaust parts and the ZT-2!! When I get the time I am gonna put everything on and make a few pulls just to figure it out. At that point I will probably need to ask for some assistance.

I am getting anxious as I havent had it at WOT for quite a few months and was rarely even going into boost, just waiting to get everything straightened out finally!!!
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ian, are you still using the stock boost control solenoid or an EBC/MBC. I dont remember....
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:12 PM

MBC - hallman
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

21-22 lbs.... up til I started having the knock issues I was telling you about in the fall.

Which by the way I got all my exhaust parts and the ZT-2!! When I get the time I am gonna put everything on and make a few pulls just to figure it out. At that point I will probably need to ask for some assistance.

I am getting anxious as I havent had it at WOT for quite a few months and was rarely even going into boost, just waiting to get everything straightened out finally!!!

ZT2 is a nice choice.......super easy to install, use, and works well with evoscan to log everything at once.

Yeah I am the same way - im ready for the weather to change so I can go back to the fun fuel, re-tune the car and have some fun again.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Closest E85 pump to Greensburg, is in Monroeville. At a sheetz none the less ......
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Closest E85 pump to Greensburg, is in Monroeville. At a sheetz none the less ......
Its not sheetz fuel......its Verasun ethanol, and sheetz sells it.

http://www.verasun.com/Fuel/e85.cfm

Last edited by travman; Feb 19, 2009 at 12:50 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:52 PM

I still need to do some digging and deciding how I am gonna wire it up. Not a huge fan of tapping into the wiring harness but I will want to simulate the narrowband in the future. So I cant just keep it separate.

I have been looking for a way you can log both through the Tactrix cable into Evoscan? or am I stuck with both serial and tactrix?
Old Feb 19, 2009, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

I still need to do some digging and deciding how I am gonna wire it up. Not a huge fan of tapping into the wiring harness but I will want to simulate the narrowband in the future. So I cant just keep it separate.

I have been looking for a way you can log both through the Tactrix cable into Evoscan? or am I stuck with both serial and tactrix?
Get 12v power from the fuse panel (empty slot), ground it to the framing around the ecu, there are a few bolts there. (This is how mine is setup)

You can wire the wideband directly into the ecu with a ecu pin in place of the rear O2. Then the rear O2 is simulated and you can log the wideband directly from the ecu through the rear channel. No cutting, splicing, hacking, etc of the harness - pull one pin out / plug the new pin in.

For tuning I hook the serial up and the tactrix and log through evoscan, the data is better and more accurate. During normal logging rough checking I just see the wideband data that comes through the ecu.

There is also a patch by mrfred you can run the car directly from the wideband with no narrowband simulating. You enter your afr you want to target in the fuel map and the car will run it through the wideband. You would have to see if your rom ID is supported or not.......(edit: only evo IX)

Kinda hard to explain it all in detail by typing - if you have questions feel free to ask, I have done everything through my ecu - its basically a ***** now. Thanks to all the opensource guys (mrfred, tephra,acumus, etc) we have a lot of wonderful features now through the stock ecu.

Last edited by travman; Feb 19, 2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Some Links:

Wideband through ecu for logging: Says LC1 but works for all.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...ial-cable.html

Rear O2 sim: Typical 05 rom (not sure what yours is?)
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ec...sim-patch.html
- This you can run instead of an anti-fouler etc and pass emissions w/ visual and scanner - will never have a cel OR to use the input for something more useful.

Unfortunately there is no wideband control patch for you, only for the evo IX guys currently. So you could run the narrowband sim to the front O2 input or have wideband logging through the ecu from the rear O2 input. Since the ZT2 only has 1 linear output...........
Old Feb 19, 2009, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

Guys can you confirm this for me real quick.

Is the NGK iridium BPR7EIX plugs the stock heat rang plug. I believe they are almost 100%

I havnt run the iridium plug in quite some time and I just cant remember

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet