Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by V8Hunter
Mike's just some mediocre mechanic I hardly know...thanks for the input though.
yeah the short guy with the mullet, right?

he didn't seem all that bright when i talked to him up there. kept yammering on about how i "should have bought a mustang".
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Well guys after many (back and forth thoughts) on what turbo setup to get for hillclimbing i've finally pulled the trigger. Now i think i got a good deal, and that made the choice alittle easier, but here it is. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...-kit-sale.html. Its won't be a drag monster bye any means but it will be a good "decent" power turbo setup. Now i only need injectors and i'm ready for a tune. SO do i run E85 or just stick with 100 octane fuel. I'm alittle worried about not being able to find E85 in some cases and race gas is much easier to find at a race. Now what size injectors?
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:09 AM

its still a great car and i know some companies are looking into making either a whole new tranny or just some upgraded parts that eliminate the over heating and so it will be able to hold more power. AMS, Xtremeboost, and couple other companies are looking into it but are taking a long time about it..
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I dont know dick about the X compare to some , especially said mechanic. And in no way am I trying to say that Mike dont know anything for sure he has a very excellent reputation.

Also I am not saying that Josh here knows what the hell he is talking about either.

But perhaps there is some truth to the tranny issue with power perhaps. IDK, seriously how many Higher HP X's has Mike had first hand experience with. I only know of one in the local area that is attempting to build some power.

So is Mikes opinion Valid just because he is a very good technician for Mitsu , but all on the factory level. No disrespect to him again , He may have some serious background knowledge on this subject and if he does it would be nice of him to share it with us.

But wouldnt it suck if you bought that MR and started adding power to it and tracking it just to find out that the tranny does overheat and destroyed itself , all basically because you went on a opinion of a brand new never seen tested to the limits opinion.

I dont know the difference between the trannys myself , but I will say that simpler is usually always better. And the more mechanical and not electronic the better IMO. Now that is just my 02 cent..
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
Well guys after many (back and forth thoughts) on what turbo setup to get for hillclimbing i've finally pulled the trigger. Now i think i got a good deal, and that made the choice alittle easier, but here it is. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...-kit-sale.html. Its won't be a drag monster bye any means but it will be a good "decent" power turbo setup. Now i only need injectors and i'm ready for a tune. SO do i run E85 or just stick with 100 octane fuel. I'm alittle worried about not being able to find E85 in some cases and race gas is much easier to find at a race. Now what size injectors?
Awsome Jeremy

I love the thoughts of E85 do it. Just take **** tons of it with you in tanks when you go racing.

Put in the largest injector you can on the stock Ecu. that way you wont have to worry about running out of them down the road. I would maybe consider a double pumper though to assist with that E85 so fuel rail will be fed appropriatly.

You have a tactrix cable right . so switching between everyday 93 to your E85 map is a breeze. And E85 is far cheaper than even 100 octane sunoco

You are buying from a good guy as well. One of the best stock manifolds availible too , it will look as good as it runs!!!

Last edited by steelcityevo8; Feb 21, 2009 at 10:19 AM.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:23 AM

Here i looked up these threads for you on evox it goes over some of the main stuff compared to GSR vs MR in tranny point of view.
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8693
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8541
http://www.evoxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8754
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:40 AM

thanks man...those links help explain the issue
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. 1900 seems like a great deal for what you are getting. Should be very fun.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 10:42 AM

thanks man...those links help explain the issue
yupp if you have any other questions about the car ill do my best to help!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

There are plenty of MR's running around with 300 whp or so. And I even think the EDM FQ400 still uses the normal Getrag SST. So it's not incapable of handling light mods. In a few years someone like TRE will probably come out with ways to strengthen the clutches. I kind of wish I had the SST in my GSR for everyday driving. But I also like the fact that with my 5 speed I'm not as restricted in power limits should I ever want to get crazy. Do a search on tuning and MR's. Big Al at ISC had some interesting theories on the SST.

Also keep in mind that the GSR tranny is not without it's quarks. It may just be by design, but 2nd gear is pretty much unavailable on cold mornings until it's warm. And even when warm, it's still very notchy. Nothing different from my VIII, but's it's still annoying. Other than that though, the tranny is supposed to be great. It's basically the same old Evo tranny with a few upgrades like triple synchro 1st-3rd, and double 4th and 5th. It also eliminates the use of a dedicated reverse gear.

Like Dan said about overheating, I've heard that after a few laps in S-Sport mode the SST does overheat.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

I vote E85 - its a lot of fun. Just get a couple 5 gallon containers or there is also a company that makes a 14 gallon tank on wheels you can load up for race day. I think home depot sells them?

As far as switching back and forth tactrix cable isnt even really needed - I have a switch in my dash that I flip back and forth between E85 and 93, you just have to load a tephra rom on your ecu...and you use the IC spray switch to flip maps.

Def. 1000's or bigger on injectors......

Tuning E85 is a ton of fun to tune on and run....just makes power and doesn't knock. I am addicted to it, running 93 is lame to me anymore and I really dont like it when I have to run it
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Wow. 1900 seems like a great deal for what you are getting. Should be very fun.
I paid even less!
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Thegame
There are plenty of MR's running around with 300 whp or so. And I even think the EDM FQ400 still uses the normal Getrag SST. So it's not incapable of handling light mods. In a few years someone like TRE will probably come out with ways to strengthen the clutches. I kind of wish I had the SST in my GSR for everyday driving. But I also like the fact that with my 5 speed I'm not as restricted in power limits should I ever want to get crazy. Do a search on tuning and MR's. Big Al at ISC had some interesting theories on the SST.

Also keep in mind that the GSR tranny is not without it's quarks. It may just be by design, but 2nd gear is pretty much unavailable on cold mornings until it's warm. And even when warm, it's still very notchy. Nothing different from my VIII, but's it's still annoying. Other than that though, the tranny is supposed to be great. It's basically the same old Evo tranny with a few upgrades like triple synchro 1st-3rd, and double 4th and 5th. It also eliminates the use of a dedicated reverse gear.

Like Dan said about overheating, I've heard that after a few laps in S-Sport mode the SST does overheat.

This is all good info. thanks guys. Those were my thoughts exactly on the SST - daily driving ease. I would most likely never track the car and only lightly mod it and tune it. plus, I do a lot of driving everyday which is one reason i sold my IX.
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks like an AWESOME setup, and I would def. pick the injectors Travis recommends, and I would also pick E85
Old Feb 21, 2009, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Well i just don't want to need a double pumper really. I'm fine with paying more for race gas vs E85. Can i run 1000cc injectors on the single pump and ecu? I'll assume you can since you are huh Travis? Do you want to make some money? You need me to have a wideband tho huh. We need to talk if your interested.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet