Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2009, 06:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats sick and definately worth loading up on some even if you dont need them.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
holy ****! - that is crazy how low they are pricing them.......

Last edited by travman; Feb 23, 2009 at 06:33 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2009, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

78 bucks.. thats insane.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 04:57 AM
Evolving Member

How does the old adage go? If its too good to be true..... They probably only have 3 sets of each left.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

could be old rubber too.

i ordered a set of BFG KD's off tire rack last season. they literally started peeling apart on me at the seams (alot of you have seen this). tire rack eventually just stopped responding to my inquiries about them replacing the defective tires of refunding my money.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

old rubbers should never be used.....
Old Feb 24, 2009, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Doubt it could be old rubber. The RE01's havent been out very long IIRC.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Doubt it could be old rubber. The RE01's havent been out very long IIRC.
They've been out since late 05 when I bought my last EVO.

Justin and I have both had mediocre experiences with tire rack selling use piles of crap for a "discount".

His experience was the most shameful. He's supposed to go 180mph on those tires?

Instead of closeout they should call these deals what they are "round crap "+ shipping.

Last edited by Evol.ved; Feb 24, 2009 at 10:38 AM. Reason: To much coffee most likey
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evol.ved

You going to go 160mph on something that sat 3 years in a warehouse?

Justin and I have both had mediocre experiences with tire rack selling use piles of crap for a "discount".
Yes but you have to understand these were very in demand tires. So whatever they have i bet they are fairly new. Now Justin bought a set of tires that have been around for 7 or 8 years and he bought the size that nobody really ever wanted. That makes a difference! The tire sizes they are selling are some of the most commen out there. The 245-40-17 are pretty much the spec tires for STX and STU. But hey if you don't want to trust them i understand. But for that price i'm not sure i'd pass them up if i needed street tires.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

So i've been talking to a few different people about E85. What do you guys kno about the ethanol mixture gauge? Its not cheap that for sure! Its sounds like that is the way to go if you want to keep things inline. Also it seems to only work with the zeixtronic. Plus it was suggested to me to just buy a barrel of Ethenol and mix my own if i go that route. Im still alittle turned off bye the difficulty of keeping things consistent.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Feb 24, 2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:45 AM
Evolving Member

You going to go 160mph on something that sat 3 years in a warehouse?

His experience was the most shameful. He's supposed to go 180mph on those tires?

Instead of closeout they should call these deals what they are "round crap "+ shipping.
I am not dismissing Justins issue as it is a very serious and dangerous one. And given the visual signs of his tires he definately has a case. What would be the difference in having a dedicated set of snow tires that you run for 3 seasons? They are atleast 3 years old, does that automatically make them unsafe or unfit to be driven on?
Old Feb 24, 2009, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Does anyone have a new exhaust manifold gasket laying around? Just wondering if there is one floating around that someone wants to get rid of.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
I am not dismissing Justins issue as it is a very serious and dangerous one. And given the visual signs of his tires he definately has a case. What would be the difference in having a dedicated set of snow tires that you run for 3 seasons? They are atleast 3 years old, does that automatically make them unsafe or unfit to be driven on?

I store my snow tires in bags, in my basement which is pretty year around temperate.

Even then, while I would throw them on my car, my wife would get new ones every third year no matter what.

We don't go far. Usually I toss tires before they are worn.

Most people would not be so concerned and these tires are likey fine but it's big time buyer beware. Given my lack of positive experience with tire rack I would not buy them for myself.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
So i've been talking to a few different people about E85. What do you guys kno about the ethanol mixture gauge? Its not cheap that for sure! Its sounds like that is the way to go if you want to keep things inline. Also it seems to only work with the zeixtronic. Plus it was suggested to me to just buy a barrel of Ethenol and mix my own if i go that route. Im still alittle turned off bye the difficulty of keeping things consistent.
Its a gauge that tells you the ethanol content %, you have to use a GM flex fuel sensor and they are pricey right now (i read like 300-400 on top of the cost of the analyzer) but regardless you still might have to tweak afr's. There was talks of a possible patch that uses the output from the zeitronix analyzer to auto adjust afr's in the ecu but at this point I dont believe its being worked on. Also how much would you be willing to trust it at a performance level? if it does ever come to pass and works that will be a great solution but at this point its just talk.......

Also the analyzer is its own separate unit from Zietronix - doesn't need the ZT2.

I mean honestly you can tell by seeing the afr go rich or lean that there is more or less ethanol than gas in the mixture....the analyzer tells you the % but the info really isn't that important, what is important is what your afr gauge says. I keep my afr around 11.5 and I have seen it go as low as 11.0 and as high as 12.0 so far from tank to tank on winter blends from different pumps. (Monroeville, Robinson, State College)

Without some work you really wont get the consistancy of race gas out of it.....but if your willing to do the work or make the changes E85 is def. a cost savings and benefits gain, just doesn't come as easy.

Last edited by travman; Feb 24, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old Feb 24, 2009, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to hear about you and Justin's issues - sounds like you had some bad luck. I, on the other hand, have had nothing but good luck with them. My current Pirelli P-Zero Nero's have held up just fine through last years autocrosses and have plenty of tread life remaining. I'm probably going to sell them though as I just sprung for the RE01-R's in the 255/35/18 size. For $359.00 shipped, I'll take my chances on the "round crap" .

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet