Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
LOL, Nice quote! And hey if your here for arguement sake then pittsburgh thread is always open. So can we have the whole story on the evo?
Here is the whole story...

Bought evo. planned to not touch it. few months later was going to trade (steve@NRG) my stock motor for his built plus cash. Pulled it, and he sold his whole car over the weekend. So, then i had a motor out of the car, with nothing to replace it with. Didn't have the money to build it immediately, so it took a VERY long time for me to do it. So long i actually kinda got bored of the build and just wanted my car back to drive. One of the first things i bought was a turbo kit from ETS/PaulNelson/LucasEnglish and did not know that it was junk. it sat for almost a year before it actually got put on my car, and when it did I hated it. wouldnt hold boost, took forever to build it, and made the driving experience crappy.

Soo, I was having my car towed up this week to have a custom top mount turbo manifold designed for it and going to get an HTA3586 put on it. Called all the potential buyers and told them i couldnt sell the parts, and would refund them the money. 12 hours later (which would be last thursday night) I was in a horrible accident, and immediately found my self in hot water for money. Citations/deductables/Points etc etc are all being given to me (not to mention i have to pay for the parts on the car that were not covered on the car by the insruance).

Soo, then the next morning, i called everyone back, and agreed to do the part out again. I will have a stock evo within like 2 weeks, and plan to finally put some miles on it 3 years later.

Thats the story.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike01gsr
Not that I want to mess up the drama since it's been awhile, but you guys that have rolled the rear fenders, looking for input. I've read it's all about heating up the paint well and taking your time. Is it doable at home? Brian, Justin, Jeremy or anyone else with feedback? Where can you get the roller and good heat gun? Thanks guys!
My friend and I just did my car last week. It is time consuming if you really try to be careful and getting a feel for how much you have to roll them. There is a local subaru guy who has one and is cool about letting people use it. On my car my rear are 18 X9-1/2" with +26 offset. I think the car has lowering springs and I rub a little cornering...another note.... we compared tires i had on my rotas (Falken Ze512) Vs the tires on the new wheels(Nitto 555R) both 255/35/18 and the designs are totally different. The falkens look more streched and the sidewall is angled. The nittos are totally square and the contact ptach is much wider. so i would check into actual dimensions before you order tires

ps even being very careful the paint did crack a little bit under the fender lip....

Hopefully this helps
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
I got a decent 9 map. Will give it to you for FREE.
it seems every board has a isht stirrer.

Originally Posted by travman
throwing random maps on a car isn't the smartest choice....even for FREE.
agreed, unless the cars have the exact same mods i wouldn't even try it.

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
so once again you're out to scam someone. i see you haven't changed a bit.
someday you will learn young padawan. if ya just ignore it, he'll go away
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Every car is different. A tune for one does not mean it will work on another. That is Russian Roulette - at best.
true dat!

fender rollin, if anyone needs to borrow one. I know the guy and can hook it up. It the same one Jer and Brian used.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

What kinda tires and wheels are you running Mike? Your 9.5 will work for anything you can fit on our cars. If your thinking race tires, you really need to look at 285-30--18's, They fit better then the 275's. Now if they are street tires i'd just run 265's, Thats plenty of meat unless you get a good deal on some 275's. Understand that its not neccasarily the fenders that are going to cause you problems. There are body seams (front) and the rear fender bolt that throw a wrench in the equation.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDLTURBO
it seems every board has a isht stirrer.

agreed, unless the cars have the exact same mods i wouldn't even try it.

someday you will learn young padawan. if ya just ignore it, he'll go away

true dat!

fender rollin, if anyone needs to borrow one. I know the guy and can hook it up. It the same one Jer and Brian used.
I dont recall having any issues with you. Can you please explain why you are being hostile towards me?

Not a sh]t stirrer. what, do you think i am taking money out of travs pocket or something?

I am not going anywhere. I wake up every morning thinking about what to do next on evom. besides, i still have over 45 points to go till this account goes inactive.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

First thanks Brian, Paul and Jeremy for the feedback. I currently have the Enkei NT03+M's that Robi sells and they are 17 x 9.5 +38 . With that said I'm running Bridgestone Potenza RE050a's at 255/40/17 the section width is 10.3" and the only place it rubs right now is the front ever so slightly at full lock. Even though my bridgestones did ok, they are not a track or time attack tire like I had hoped. I am now looking at Nitto NT-05's and Dunlop Z1 Star spec's. I know the leading street tire in time attack this year will probably be the Bridgestone RE-11 or Advan AD-08 but those are almost 100 more then the Nitto's and 70 more then the Dunlops per tire. NT-05 is 10.1" section width and dunlop is 10.4" section width in 255/40/17. The NT-05 is 10.79 in 275/40/17. The 10.3" Bridgestones I have now clear the rear fender by a C hair. So the only one that would fit now is the NT-05 in 255, the Dunlop in 255 might need a slight roll and the NT-05 in 275 would need totally rolled. I just don't know if the 275 is worth the effort for performance gain or not. Hopefully that's not hard to follow it is long though..lol
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:35 PM
Evolving Member

I was wondering if anyone is interested in doing a Karting day at Beaverun this weekend or possibly next weekend. I need 8 more people to make this happen to rent out the Wilson Circuit for the day!! I have 4 people that already are signed up and ready to go. I am hoping to get 12 in total at the price of $50 a person. This includes practice laps, heat 1, Timed session 1, timed session 2. That may vary depending on what we want to do when we get there. Remember prices for cooperate events are usually 100 dollars an hour per kart!! This is a very good deal and the more people i get the cheaper it will be! PM me if you are interested so i can make a list of the people that are going.

-Dan
Old Mar 10, 2009, 01:39 PM

Hmm i might be interested ^ ill ask parents tonight and let you know a little l8r
Old Mar 10, 2009, 02:13 PM
Evolved Member

Well I see a nice shlt storm rolled thru today!!! Kinda unfortunate that I had nothing to do with it WTF!!!!!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

to everyone that PM'ed me about Karting. I will get more information out to you tonight when i hear back from Beaverun...it should be no more then $50 if i get 14 people. It may even go up to 16-20 openings depending on how much interest i get..which will lower the price even more. Each session is about 15-20 minutes.

date is March 22nd at noon..for now. If it changes i will notify!

Last edited by killthelights14; Mar 10, 2009 at 03:16 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steelcityevo8
Well I see a nice shlt storm rolled thru today!!! Kinda unfortunate that I had nothing to do with it WTF!!!!!
I am on my way to meet up with the silver supra! lol will let you know whats up
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Mike01gsr
First thanks Brian, Paul and Jeremy for the feedback. I currently have the Enkei NT03+M's that Robi sells and they are 17 x 9.5 +38 . With that said I'm running Bridgestone Potenza RE050a's at 255/40/17 the section width is 10.3" and the only place it rubs right now is the front ever so slightly at full lock. Even though my bridgestones did ok, they are not a track or time attack tire like I had hoped. I am now looking at Nitto NT-05's and Dunlop Z1 Star spec's. I know the leading street tire in time attack this year will probably be the Bridgestone RE-11 or Advan AD-08 but those are almost 100 more then the Nitto's and 70 more then the Dunlops per tire. NT-05 is 10.1" section width and dunlop is 10.4" section width in 255/40/17. The NT-05 is 10.79 in 275/40/17. The 10.3" Bridgestones I have now clear the rear fender by a C hair. So the only one that would fit now is the NT-05 in 255, the Dunlop in 255 might need a slight roll and the NT-05 in 275 would need totally rolled. I just don't know if the 275 is worth the effort for performance gain or not. Hopefully that's not hard to follow it is long though..lol
Well Mike, you should also look into if there are any restrictions in tire size in any events that you might be interested in. I kno Redline Time attacks have a maximum tire size of 255 for there street tire class. So do a few others. Now if you don't care about that, its still a toss up. I've read about many people who have tested both sizes and found that the 255 is no slower then the 275. Now please understand this is sorta a HP related thing. I would say a typical modded EVO with the usual bolt-on's would be better off with the 255. Now if you were a bigger turbo, big HP car then i'd say the 275's. Now my choice for track tires this year will be 285-18's for the hills and auto-x, and a set of 255 -17's for track days and Time attacks. I beleive the 255 will be plenty fast!
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:22 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
Here is the whole story...

Soo, then the next morning, i called everyone back, and agreed to do the part out again. I will have a stock evo within like 2 weeks, and plan to finally put some miles on it 3 years later.
Hi eric, my name is dan. First time poster long time listener of your work. I too have a stock evo. Would you like to race in 2 weeks? Say march 28 of 2009?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by holiday63
matt, you get your cams installed?
I didnt talk to him today but Im sure they got the install done. Tomoro is dyno day I would guess.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry i can't do the go cart thing. Sounds like fun!.

Mike, I was thinking back and you have a pretty darn nice setup going. Why not some race rubber? Altho those new tires are pretty darn close to race rubber

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet