Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,
I have been living in Pittsburgh for almost a year now and I just finally changed the address to Pittsburgh because I wasnt sure if I was going to stay or not for job reasons, but now im offically a Pittsburgh resident and im here to stay for atleast a few years...So now I dont have the luxury of having no emissions as I did when I lived in Huntingdon County...So my question, does your cars pass emissions testing with a high-flo cat? I heard in Allegheny County you have to get a snuffer test? Im going to be purchasing a buschur exhaust in the near future and I want to know what I can get away with out here without running into trouble or violations?

Thanks
Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Trav i have been catless for quite some time now and have not had a problem... Welcome to PGH offically, but yet you were welcome to begin with.

Hey guys quick idea... Who would be up for one day an all evo pirates game? I hate the pirates but i do turn 21 in may and would love to say "beer here" to the beer guy.

Also would make for some cool pics.

Oh also Jer, i will call you thursday/friday to meet up and give you the items you ordered.

Steve
GnV Motorsports
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Sweet so I guess I have nothing to worry about then.....When I heard they did the snuffer test and stuff I figured i was screwed with catless or high flo cat and I didnt want to have to swap out my exhaust every year during inspection...Now I can just get my exhaust and be happy

Any recomendations on a garage that does inspections and doesnt hassle you?
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Pirates game sounds cool....Turning 21 is always fun. The next best thing is 25, insurance drop! (which is a great thing, I experienced that in October)
Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:32 AM

Yeah a ball game would be fun.... BEEEEEEEEER HEEEEEEEEEERE!!!!!!!!!
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

hahahaha thanks trav... now i have something to look forward to after turning 21... i thought retirement was the next big age significance. *marking down May 11, 2010... insurance drop)

BEER HERE!!!...

MAN DOWN!

Steve
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GNV Motorsports
Hey guys quick idea... Who would be up for one day an all evo pirates game? I hate the pirates but i do turn 21 in may and would love to say "beer here" to the beer guy.

no one goes to the pir8 games to watch the pir8's.

i'd be down for some beer drinking and staring at evos.

also, in other exciting news i just got my ODB-II datalogger kit and lightrikz set.

i need to get my a$$ in gear today and get the dashboard and hvac lights in.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 12:34 PM
Evolved Member

oops, that would be OBD logger.

ODB is just s dead rapper.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

almost april 8th come on fellas steve, trayman, are u guys coming out to prp for a little meet ???
Old Mar 29, 2006, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

damn i hate waitng for my car and ya id be down for a pirate game maybe one of yins could buy me a beer lol since im still the youngest out of everyone travman welcome to pittsburgh ull like being here i lived here my hole life

Last edited by ozrally0303; Mar 29, 2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2006, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by travman
Sweet so I guess I have nothing to worry about then.....When I heard they did the snuffer test and stuff I figured i was screwed with catless or high flo cat and I didnt want to have to swap out my exhaust every year during inspection...Now I can just get my exhaust and be happy

Any recomendations on a garage that does inspections and doesnt hassle you?
You can get away with it.. unless they look under the car then they will see the cat delete.. but if you get the high flo you will pass if they look
Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

yes im thinking i'm in for prp! Might as well start the season off racing.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Just a little FYI... Even if you have a cat on the car (hi flow like me, or regular), if you have a check engine light, you will fail. If you have a test pipe, you will fail the visual inspection. They only use a sniffer for OBD-I or older I beleive. You will fail unless you know a mechanic. They are extremely strict these days with emmissions. The penalties are too high.

The easiest way to do it is go with a high flow cat that will not cause a CEL. Helix, Random, Vishnu, Buschur, and Ultimate racing high flow cats will cause CEL's most of the time. Not all the time, but most. Works is the only place that makes a HFC 100% CEL free. Of course, I myself wish I didn't have to use any cat. But the pain of having to put the stocker back on every year for emmissions will get old. It's just not worth it to me. But if you really want every horse you can get out of your 4G63, then by all means go with a cat delete. You can decide if 5 horses are worth the headaches or not. I'd say no.

What do the rest of you guys do? I have Works high flow so I don't have to worry.

Steve, what do you do that has allowed you run your test pipe without any problems? I'm curious.

Last edited by Thegame; Mar 30, 2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old Mar 30, 2006, 03:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thegame
Just a little FYI... Even if you have a cat on the car (hi flow like me, or regular), if you have a check engine light, you will fail. If you have a test pipe, you will fail the visual inspection. They only use a sniffer for OBD-I or older I beleive. You will fail unless you know a mechanic. They are extremely strict these days with emmissions. The penalties are too high.

The easiest way to do it is go with a high flow cat that will not cause a CEL. Helix, Random, Vishnu, Buschur, and Ultimate racing high flow cats will cause CEL's most of the time. Not all the time, but most. Works is the only place that makes a HFC 100% CEL free. Of course, I myself wish I didn't have to use any cat. But the pain of having to put the stocker back on every year for emmissions will get old. It's just not worth it to me. But if you really want every horse you can get out of your 4G63, then by all means go with a cat delete. You can decide if 5 horses are worth the headaches or not. I'd say no.

What do the rest of you guys do? I have Works high flow so I don't have to worry.

Steve, what do you do that has allowed you run your test pipe without any problems? I'm curious.
Im running a cat delete with a O2 simulator.. NO CEL for me..!!!
Old Mar 30, 2006, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by VenomEVO8
Im running a cat delete with a O2 simulator.. NO CEL for me..!!!
Well thats good and all. The technical reasoning is this. All 03+ vehicles emissions must be checked through OBDII. But there is still a visual test. So if the place is very strict they won't pass you.

Basicly when it reads the OBDII it checks the front o2 sensor and rear, to see that the rear sensor is reading less than the front, therefore seeing cat is working, polution is not a problem.

But like i said it ALL depends on where you take it. some are **** about the visual check some are not.

Steve

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet