Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2009, 12:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ya I was rocking slicks last night, still wasn't hooking for **** but what can u expect from a 500hp fwd car lol best part is it's pump gas still so it's an enjoyable street car
Old Apr 26, 2009, 04:38 PM

north park

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZ1BGirOkE

Just a quick video from the auto X today...
Old Apr 26, 2009, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mitsmaster
Nice... Looks like that first straight was a bit to long.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

It was alittle long. I did short shift 3rd on my last run because i was hitting the rev limiter about 4 times. I'ts a hard call weather to shift at that point or not.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

Unexpectedly went to Erie yesterday and stayed the night, sorry I didn't make it!
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:18 PM

I was looking at getting a set of race wheels. I was looking at volks something like a TE37. probably a 17 inch rim. just had a few question. what is the widest rim i could get and what offset. and would there be any advantage to getting an 18 inch?
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JMCZ
I was looking at getting a set of race wheels. I was looking at volks something like a TE37. probably a 17 inch rim. just had a few question. what is the widest rim i could get and what offset. and would there be any advantage to getting an 18 inch?
there are some advantages to going to an 18in, but really depends on what you're going for.

are you planning on modifying the fenders at all? if not you're pretty much limited to a 255 width tire, which will sit nicely on a stock width wheel. if you're going to go wider though i would suggest going with a 35 or possibly even less series tire. i have 255/40's on the car right now and there is a bit too much side wall for my liking.

while the grip isn't bad, even with fairly high air pressure in the tire they feel a bit gooshy in corners.

as far as offset you can fudge that a bit with spacers if you don't mind beating up your fenders a bit, so you can have some play there.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

It all depends what size tire you want to run. And if you want to roll fenders. If you don't want to roll fenders and get into other issues, go with a 17x9 +35 and a set of 255-40-17' tires and your set. Its actually probably the best setup for under 400hp. Now if you want to go bigger, thats where it gets crazy. Personnaly your better going 18's if you want to run bigger tires.

There is plenty more to this but i'm not really interested in typing it all. If you want to talk sometime let me kno and i'll fill you in. I'd say, decide how much your willing to spend. Also realize how short of a life span good race rubber has and how much it will cost you. That might deter you from expensive rims. Plus if your changing them all the time and racing on them you will trash them.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
there are some advantages to going to an 18in, but really depends on what you're going for.

are you planning on modifying the fenders at all? if not you're pretty much limited to a 255 width tire, which will sit nicely on a stock width wheel. if you're going to go wider though i would suggest going with a 35 or possibly even less series tire. i have 255/40's on the car right now and there is a bit too much side wall for my liking.

while the grip isn't bad, even with fairly high air pressure in the tire they feel a bit gooshy in corners.

as far as offset you can fudge that a bit with spacers if you don't mind beating up your fenders a bit, so you can have some play there.
Im going to get the fenders rolled. because the wheels i have now are rubbing and im looking for these volks to me my track wheels. so the more grip the better. and i dont mind more rubber if it means the ability to get better tire and space and all that. so what width do you think is the max i could squeeze in there, 9-9.5?
Old Apr 26, 2009, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsmaster
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCZ1BGirOkE

Pshhh...I'd go faster on a bicycle.
Old Apr 26, 2009, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone looking for a slim line fan. Last of part out, and looking for a stock fan and controller. I know someone has to be rocking a bigger turbo out there in Pittsburgh-land.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 04:16 AM
Evolved Member

Im going to get the fenders rolled. because the wheels i have now are rubbing and im looking for these volks to me my track wheels. so the more grip the better. and i dont mind more rubber if it means the ability to get better tire and space and all that. so what width do you think is the max i could squeeze in there, 9-9.5?
don't quote me on this (read as find someone who has done it to be absolutely sure) but with the right amount of convincing (and that's a damn good bit of convincing) you should be able to fit a 9.5" wide wheel under there.

for the final word though i will have to defer to some of the crazier guys on here who are brave enough to take a hammer, roller, and heat gun to their body panels.
Old Apr 27, 2009, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
i have 255/40's on the car right now
255 not STU legal, are switching classes?
Old Apr 27, 2009, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have 9-1/2" W w 255/35/18
Old Apr 27, 2009, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

9.5 is about the biggest. Plus you will need spacers and longer wheel studs. Again it all depends on tire size. I'd go 18's only if you want to run 285-30-18's. Anything smaller and your better off with a 17. And like a said unless you have over 400whp you will have too much tire for the car for track days. Auto-x is completely different! I just ran 1:04's at Beaverun on 255 toyo R888 (with a good compound tire like a hoosier or the likes it would've been a 102 i believe. 1;04 is only 1 sec off of Buschur's "magnum" Time attack car. And they were on 315 or something ungodly huge. Really for price and availiblity i'd go 17x9 with 255 tires. But that just me!.

Ps. 255 toyo's cost $200 a piece for a tire that will last a decent amount of time( 7-8 flat out days). A hoosier will last about 3 flat out days and run you $320 a piece in 285's. Make the choice from how much your willing to spend on tires!

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet