Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2009, 08:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LostSolVTEC
hey evodrivesme, was your evo down at hybrid for a little at one point and time?
yes it was. i had dennis weld a flange onto my exhaust for me!
Old Jul 11, 2009, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice pics man! Car looks amazing. Good move with taping up those side openings, haven't really seen anyone do that before. Prolly makes a big difference when you get around 100mph.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

I dont think taping the sides will do any positave. Your only at speeds it would start to matter for about 3 seconds and at that point I don't think its really increasing aero.
Could be wrong Idk, just doesn't seem like it would help at all, or if it did hurt cooling.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Eric Morse
I dont think taping the sides will do any positave. Your only at speeds it would start to matter for about 3 seconds and at that point I don't think its really increasing aero.
Could be wrong Idk, just doesn't seem like it would help at all, or if it did hurt cooling.
I mean I dunno I don't see drag cars with big wholes in their bumpers.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:18 AM
Account Disabled

blocking off the oil cooler is not really a good idea.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

i've always wondered that about drag racing. you see guys doing things like icing their manifolds, cutting holes in their bumpers, and taping things up to stream line the car a bit.

i guess without actual wind tunnel testing it would be hard to say for certain, but i would curious what kind of difference that would make.

if you took that tape off i bet you would see some difference in your MPH. after all those vents are designed to funnel air in.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

ya true but I would think they are made to be used with the skid tray, which i dont have.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

Do a test, pretty easy to test the theory.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 03:05 PM
Evolved Member

It's been proven that running without a oil cooler is not an issue for everyday use & drag racing . I will be personally running minus an oil cooler.

Now if I were to run road courses and hot lapping I would drop the cash and buy a new one. I'll cross that bridge once I decide to go that route
Old Jul 11, 2009, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
i've always wondered that about drag racing. you see guys doing things like icing their manifolds, cutting holes in their bumpers, and taping things up to stream line the car a bit.

i guess without actual wind tunnel testing it would be hard to say for certain, but i would curious what kind of difference that would make.

if you took that tape off i bet you would see some difference in your MPH. after all those vents are designed to funnel air in.
Yea, I dont even open my hood at the track anymore. Dan and I looked at logs on the AEM last year, and we noticed that the sun beating on the valve cover etc etc seemed to not allow the car to cool down properly. Our vent works pretty good, and we all know that things like aluminum are like amp covers etc etc, it probably helps dissipate the heat a little quicker than the oldie cars with the steel hoods that hold it in.

As for holes, the front ones are supposed to be leading to the brakes, and our IX bumpers have them silly round holes that feed to the FMIC.

People do cut like 8 or 10 4" holes in the rear because when air travels under the car, it flows into the rear bumper like a parachute putting resistance in the car...

there are soo many goofy things big time racers do from taking the spoiler off to turning mirrors in to stop resistance.

The sad thing is evos are shaped like a school bus. they will never be super aerodynamic
Old Jul 11, 2009, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Not that I have any experience of which to speak but building/owning and maintaning a race car in my eyes, is kind of like rasing a child. You put the best of everything into it and do every little thing to make it just that much better even if it seems futile at the moment.

Racers, espically drag racers fight tooth and nail for every .01 of a second they can get and don't care about the effort or cost of attaining the little extra bit of perfection.
Old Jul 11, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolved Member

So basicly your telling me that I have not approached my build with putting the best of parts into it in mind ????

So for choosing not to utilize a specific part that is proven not to show a distinct advantage in particular to the form of racing that I am interested in is not putting the best possible build forth???

I doubt you know what my build is really about or how much is vested in what could be argued as the best possible parts in the market availible for the Evo today !!!!!

Please let's not talk children I have 2 of them so I think I know a thing or 2 about wanting the best not only for children but also about a very agressive street/ race machine

I may not do it professionally but I'll see you on the streets homy bring your wallet and rum what ya brung we see whp gets it done

Dan Nicely
Old Jul 11, 2009, 05:56 PM

Well i got my license today!!!! but the clutch in my car is shot also.... i guess 8 launches on the stock clutch doesnt go real well.... using bond money from over the years to buy a nice 1 and a flywheel at that! hopefully will be up and running in a week or two!
Old Jul 11, 2009, 06:11 PM

what I do in my free time.....

Old Jul 11, 2009, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steelcityevo8
So basicly your telling me that I have not approached my build with putting the best of parts into it in mind ????

So for choosing not to utilize a specific part that is proven not to show a distinct advantage in particular to the form of racing that I am interested in is not putting the best possible build forth???

I doubt you know what my build is really about or how much is vested in what could be argued as the best possible parts in the market availible for the Evo today !!!!!

Please let's not talk children I have 2 of them so I think I know a thing or 2 about wanting the best not only for children but also about a very agressive street/ race machine

I may not do it professionally but I'll see you on the streets homy bring your wallet and rum what ya brung we see whp gets it done

Dan Nicely

What on earth are you talking about???

I'm just saying people like YOU put tons of money and the best parts into their cars like their children.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet