Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also had my car dyno'd and...I was also disappointed. 289whp/305wtq w/a super rich and flat 10.0AFR@WOT. I NEED to get this excessively rich AFR under control. Gotta do some logging real soon...there was so much black smoke coming out of my tailpipe that it looked like a diesel. It is pretty cool though seeing your car spin the rollers, just not as fun looking at that screen immediately after .

Justin, I will be at the next TT fo sho. Saving up now. I can't even imagine how much fun that must have been. If I didn't have a playoff game, I would have been there. In retrospect, if I had known how badly we were going to get destroyed, I probably just would have done the TT - hard to skip though when you are the manager, head coach, and starting 1st baseman .
Old Jul 27, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canexican
I also had my car dyno'd and...I was also disappointed. 289whp/305wtq w/a super rich and flat 10.0AFR@WOT. I NEED to get this excessively rich AFR under control. Gotta do some logging real soon...there was so much black smoke coming out of my tailpipe that it looked like a diesel. It is pretty cool though seeing your car spin the rollers, just not as fun looking at that screen immediately after .

Justin, I will be at the next TT fo sho. Saving up now. I can't even imagine how much fun that must have been. If I didn't have a playoff game, I would have been there. In retrospect, if I had known how badly we were going to get destroyed, I probably just would have done the TT - hard to skip though when you are the manager, head coach, and starting 1st baseman .
Have you done a boost leak test? I know you have added a bunch of new charge system parts...

In a lot of cases a rich condition that will not go away adjusting the fuel map within reason usually is caused by a boost leak......Always start with the boost leak and work your way from there.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
Have you done a boost leak test? I know you have added a bunch of new charge system parts...

In a lot of cases a rich condition that will not go away adjusting the fuel map within reason usually is caused by a boost leak......Always start with the boost leak and work your way from there.
Yeah, kinda doubt its a boost leak. It seems to hold boost just fine, but the AFR's were never logged and Jestr never tuned for them. Once I send him the logs, it should be fine...just got to get the logging done.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, kinda doubt its a boost leak. It seems to hold boost just fine, but the AFR's were never logged and Jestr never tuned for them. Once I send him the logs, it should be fine...just got to get the logging done.
Dave if it makes you feel any better, when i got my X tuned, during the stock run i bottomed out at 9.5 after 5200. Also, just because it holds boost fine doesnt mean that there isnt a boost leak. It just means the turbo has to work harder to sustain said levels of boost to compensate for the leak.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Yea your probably right.....im sure once jestr actually tunes your afr it will be much better.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

just remember to get in touch with beaver run first. you will need to submit a stack of paper work from medical history to license application, and you will need to find out what it will take to get approved to drive out there. it seems this will be a very individual thing as far as driver approval goes unless you already have experience on that track.

i don't mean to discourage anyone from doing this, just know that this is the real deal and there is a very high potential for badness. especially since you will be alone in the car without an instructor to watch your back.

fresh pads, fluids, and rotors are highly advised. it's a hell of alot of fun, but very serious at the same time.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

On my VIII with a turboback, hiflow cat, S1 cams, intake, MBC, fuel pump, and a tune i only made like 270 whp on CBRD's mustang. So, where you guys are is really pretty good. Like Trav said as soon as you throw on a ported manifold, O2 housing, and the larger 10.5 hotside, you'll see quite a nice gain. With a new tune, a test pipe, and the above mods, I made 345 whp on a Dynojet. Never been to the track, so I have no idea about that.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
just remember to get in touch with beaver run first. you will need to submit a stack of paper work from medical history to license application, and you will need to find out what it will take to get approved to drive out there. it seems this will be a very individual thing as far as driver approval goes unless you already have experience on that track.

i don't mean to discourage anyone from doing this, just know that this is the real deal and there is a very high potential for badness. especially since you will be alone in the car without an instructor to watch your back.

fresh pads, fluids, and rotors are highly advised. it's a hell of alot of fun, but very serious at the same time.
okay before this gets out of hand again. There are new rules in the works as to how to get permission to run. There may be a group of level 1 and 2 drivers that can have instructors in the future. There is also a tt school this coming weekend if you interested. This is a good way to get your foot in the door. Another way is if I say you can run! I do have the authority to decide if your ready or not. This means if I kno you and have seen you do any type of racing and feel comfortable with you out there, you will be able to run. This didn't mean I'm letting just anyone. So there will be multiple was to get in. Just let me kno if your interested and we will talk.

The bottem line is we are trying to make this alittle easier to do do stay tuned for updates.

And yes Justin is right. This is serious and not something to take lightly. No matter how bad **** you think you are at driving
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
okay before this gets out of hand again. There are new rules in the works as to how to get permission to run. There may be a group of level 1 and 2 drivers that can have instructors in the future. There is also a tt school this coming weekend if you interested. This is a good way to get your foot in the door. Another way is if I say you can run! I do have the authority to decide if your ready or not. This means if I kno you and have seen you do any type of racing and feel comfortable with you out there, you will be able to run. This didn't mean I'm letting just anyone. So there will be multiple was to get in. Just let me kno if your interested and we will talk.

The bottem line is we are trying to make this alittle easier to do do stay tuned for updates.

And yes Justin is right. This is serious and not something to take lightly. No matter how bad **** you think you are at driving
i would really like to get an instructor for the next session. i'm positive that could shave a good amount off my time. even the couple quick tips AJ gave me watching from the tower helped me drop 3/4's of a second. some in car instruction would be invaluable.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
On my VIII with a turboback, hiflow cat, S1 cams, intake, MBC, fuel pump, and a tune i only made like 270 whp on CBRD's mustang. So, where you guys are is really pretty good. Like Trav said as soon as you throw on a ported manifold, O2 housing, and the larger 10.5 hotside, you'll see quite a nice gain. With a new tune, a test pipe, and the above mods, I made 345 whp on a Dynojet. Never been to the track, so I have no idea about that.
Yeah, I've already got those mods. I just need to get it properly tuned. Anyone here ever get tuning from Nate at TPG? He may be doing tuning at J&S Auto, but it is still too soon to tell. I just don't know a whole lot about him, but I've heard that his tunes are decent. Don't know prices either.

Thanks for the heads up Justin and Jeremy. I'll be crossing that bridge as soon as i'm making the power that I'm looking for - and as soon as I have some cash.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the heads up Justin and Jeremy. I'll be crossing that bridge as soon as i'm making the power that I'm looking for - and as soon as I have some cash.

F the power. you will have your hands (and head) full out there enough.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
F the power. you will have your hands (and head) full out there enough.
Oh, I'm not concerned that my car is not going to be fast enough. My car is much more likely to be handicapped by my driving ability than I will be by it's lack of power, haha. I just want to get rid of the issues with my tune - been bugging me for far too long.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:51 PM

Hello fellow Pittsburghers. Thought I'd introduce myself in this thread.

I'm Dave, and live in the North Hills not far from North Park. Currently I drive a 2008 STi with a few mods, but I'm looking to get into the Evo soon. I'm familiar with a few of you (Jeremy, Justin, Dan, Denny, etc.) Just have to figure everyone's username now.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 03:59 PM

JJ What tires were you running at BR Dz101's? Im just wandering what your thoughts on them were?

Welcome to the thread man... I assume youve Autox'd at NP then?

Last edited by EvoIan; Jul 27, 2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old Jul 27, 2009, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by travman

What would cause one run to be 11's then the next 9's & 10's? and keep repeating that? boost leak?

BTW, I have gotten so lazy that I picked up the Zeitronix gauge that way since Im too lazy to log it, it displays my AFR's and forces me either be embarassed at how bad my tune is and fix it or just ignore it. I've chosen the latter...

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet