Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
Starting issues I have are not related to the fuel nor injectors - still working it out......and yes you can tune most starting issues out using the ipw adder at start-up.

Yes direct boost control is money.....especially now that its gear based, its wonderful once you get past the learning curve and initial settings.
Yeah Im still getting there... I had it pretty close to dialed in then I got sent on the road... One more night of logging and I should have a decent WGDC starting point... After that I plan to switch to gear dependent on the new version of tephra mods

Originally Posted by travman
Ian speaking of 3-port.....did you see the thread on the factory 3port found that controls the EGR? one guy has used it and is controlling boost the same as the GM but its plug/play with the oem harness.

Mrfred will be bench testing the OEM 3port solenoid and if he finds its equal to the gm we will have an oem option that requires no cutting/splicing or resistors. The cost is on par with the GM if you bought a new one OR you can disable the EGR and pull it off the back of the intake manifold and use it

wish we would have known this many moons ago when I went to the GM solenoid.....but always cool to have additional options.
Unfortunately I spliced in the GM 3port did some logs and came back to be greeted by that EGR find Oh well

I have a test copy of the new rom but I think I'll wait until its release... Hopefully I can get back to PA to tend to my car soon, as I wanted to do the Mini Flatout at BR Octoberfest. But maybe I'll just have to settle for a NP autox.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:19 AM

Hey Trav,

I know its a shot in the dark since you have a completely different ROM but you wouldn't know where I could find the direct boost control patch for the 96530006 Rom would ya? I can't seem to find it and Im hoping it does exist

Thanks

Last edited by EvoIan; Sep 30, 2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIan
Hey Trav,

I know its a shot in the dark since you have a completely different ROM but you wouldn't know where I could find the direct boost control patch for the 96530006 Rom would ya? I can't seem to find it and Im hoping it does exist

Thanks

Yes I do have the info in my personal files.....phenem who uses the same rom as you has been the main tester on the tephra rom for the VIII, he is a buddy of mine from Altoona. I have everything for that rom as well that I got through him. I will be converting a locals car soon to the universal rom, just finished up getting his injectors dialed in and the next step is rom mods + some special fuel.

pm me your email and i will get you the info u need buddy
Old Sep 30, 2009, 12:41 PM

You have a PM Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2009, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by buchnerj
metal saber, not sure yet what I would go with, heading over to JS now to hook up all the stuff needed for, and the gauge. When I see where the numbers are and what the curve looks like then ill decide on the short block or not. Just gotta run out to monroeville and get a few jugs of that good 'ol E85...
Well depending on if you decide on a larger turbo, I might be interested in your HTA Green. I won't be doing my upgrade till next year. Just thought I'd throw that out.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

buchner,
lookin at that ethanol sensor tonight, and damn its gonna be a treat to try to mount that bulky *** thing.

if you dont mind me asking. how much did it cost you and what was the rationale behind that purchase? my question is not to be taken disrespectfully, Im legitimately curious as to why you'd want to know the e% as opposed to afrs.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

I went with the gauge so I could definitively tell when the fuel switched from 77-85 or so so i could update the map on the car. It was really not needed, just nice to have and a good check as to wether or not I have e85 in the tank too, my dad drives it on a blue moon so it also is a good check as to what map to use. It is big as hell, I told jason he would have fun with that little toy, but I am interested to see how it works out. Somewhere on the firewall? Did you take a look under the hood, what do you think? I got the longer wiring harness, but that really isn't the problem, the problem is rerouting the fuel lines and not making them longer as to disrupt the pressure. I was going to come up tomorrow at some point, anxious to see what the final product will be, you going to be there?

edit: another thing too is that with the outputs from that display you can have it electronically control the map selection based on e% in the fuel, all you need is a little logic board with an electric switch, so if I was so motivated I could build it so that I would never have to worry about switching maps, the control would do that just based on the e% in the fuel that is running through the lines.... so, all of those reasons, plus it is a cool little toy... No offense taken at all, I really appreciate all the help you have offered me, if it wasn't for you I would have never gone up to get it on the dyno, and never have gotten this far building her up...

Last edited by buchnerj; Sep 30, 2009 at 09:45 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2009, 09:41 PM
Evolved Member

I actually did get a wideband too, and am looking into A/F gauges too, just something i can keep out of sight, but look at if necessary. I was going for a while without one, but I caved and went with it. Looking around for a good built 2.0l shortblock, im on the edge though, want to see the numbers tomorrow before committing to one...
Old Oct 1, 2009, 03:10 AM
Evolving Member

the fuel lines shouldn't be an issue. rather that placing the sensor on the feed line before the fuel rail, i think its gonna be mounted off the return line. thereby still reading the ethanol content, but not messing with fuel distribution or volume.

car looks strong, im curious to see what it does too
Old Oct 1, 2009, 04:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by holiday63
the fuel lines shouldn't be an issue. rather that placing the sensor on the feed line before the fuel rail, i think its gonna be mounted off the return line. thereby still reading the ethanol content, but not messing with fuel distribution or volume.

car looks strong, im curious to see what it does too
yes that sensor is made to go on the return line - not the feed
Old Oct 1, 2009, 05:18 AM
Evolving Member

Holiday, was that you I saw in Plum/Monroeville yesterday on my way home around 420pm?
Old Oct 1, 2009, 03:54 PM
Evolved Member

Well, the sensor is in and running great. Replaced the plugs and whatnot and she is all ready for her first pull n E85 tomorrow afternoon. I have been trying to run her out of gas here tonight so it will be completely out by the time i get to J&S tomorrow, then jason said we'd put 2 gallons of E85 in and put a base tune on it to get rid of any of the 93 still in the lines/tank, then drive it to the station in Monroeville and fill it all the way up. Tomorrow I will try and post up the graphs of the before/after E85 conversion and see what you guys think.
Old Oct 1, 2009, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LostSolVTEC
Holiday, was that you I saw in Plum/Monroeville yesterday on my way home around 420pm?

ya twas me. i was headed to el campasino to meet the gf for some mexican
Old Oct 1, 2009, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

nothing like some el camps at 4:20
Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

thought so, I definitely want to check your car out one of these days. I heard it's pretty mean.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet