Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2009, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats bushner on the new numbers. siiiiick
Old Oct 2, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyones thoughts? I am shopping around for a built 2.0 L so we can get some more out of her, but for now I just ordered a JDM rear bumper and an oil catch, and a greddy profec 2 so that I can have two boost settings just by pushing the button, one for the corn, the other just regular 93. Jason and I couldn't figure out what the bump in the torque and HP curve is around 5200, we think it has something to do with the MIVEC map, any remedies? thoughts?

As always, the guys at J&S are the best around, the money I spent having them tune it was by far the best money I have put into the car to date...
Old Oct 2, 2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
nothing like some el camps at 4:20
somebody read my mind
Old Oct 2, 2009, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by buchnerj

. Jason and I couldn't figure out what the bump in the torque and HP curve is around 5200, we think it has something to do with the MIVEC map, any remedies? thoughts?

Ok, take it to someone that actually tunes for a living, and not as a hobby? That would be my remedy.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

I don't care if it is his hobby, a little fun for him, or whatever, he knows his cars and is a really nice guy. Jason and JS will always have my business. Theres no need to be a d*ck about someone new starting up a shop, we need one here in the area with a dyno, and hopefully he really starts to thrive and do well. How do you think all the other major shops and tuners started off? They bought a space, bought a dyno, and started tuning cars. Just because he is new doesn't mean he isn't skilled. Get your negativity off of the board, and out of this thread.

Last edited by buchnerj; Oct 2, 2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silverfox9
Ok, take it to someone that actually tunes for a living, and not as a hobby? That would be my remedy.

haha wow really?

i edited my post, not worth the bother

Last edited by holiday63; Oct 2, 2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

I don't care if it is his hobby, a little fun for him, or whatever, he knows his cars and is a really nice guy. Jason and JS will always have my business. Theres no need to be a d*ck about someone new starting up a shop, we need one here in the area with a dyno, and hopefully he really starts to thrive and do well. How do you think all the other major shops and tuners started off? They bought a space, bought a dyno, and started tuning cars. Just because he is new doesn't mean he isn't skilled. Get your negativity off of the board, and out of this thread. Ohio sucks anyway....
Hopefully I'm not misreading his post. As you stated, you have a nice curve except at that particular point. You both are stumped as to the cause/remedy, so the best thing to do is take it to someone with more experience. Get the solution and absorb the knowledge gained. Again, hopefully I'm not misreading his post.

As a side note, for those that have been dynoed at Buschurs, how does J&S Dyno readings compare? Higher, Lower or about the same?

Last edited by metalsaber; Oct 2, 2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 07:36 PM
Evolving Member

^ my car made 566 @ 34 psi at BR

on jason's mustang i made 540 something at 32psi (fuct up boost controller). they are about the same bro
Old Oct 2, 2009, 07:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by holiday63
^ my car made 566 @ 34 psi at BR

on jason's mustang i made 540 something at 32psi (fuct up boost controller). they are about the same bro
Good to hear. Since I'm considering the Green, I'm trying to do a somewhat apples to apples comparison in terms of dyno charts.

Hey buchnerj, I see you have an MR, are you still running the 6speed with those #s or did you already swap it for a 5spd? Speaking of the 6spd, does anyone beef up the existing 6spd to handle the higher torque/hp or is the 5spd the only route to go?
Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

still on the stock 6, shifting just fine. no grinding or problems whatsoever.

I didn't mean to come on too strong or offensive, it might have sounded that way and I apologize. Jason knew right away what it was and we were going to work on it, but just didn't have enough time I had to split. I was asking because he has been teaching me about the whole tuning process and I have been looking over his shoulder and wanted to do some research into the reason and how to fix it. That is why I asked for a remedy, reconfiguring the MIVEC settings is tricky and I was interested how to change it. I got upset because some people get down on those who are starting off, and don't give anyone a chance to prove themselves. He knows his stuff.

Last edited by buchnerj; Oct 2, 2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

metal, If the tranny were ever to sh*t the bed I think I would just rebuild it instead of doing the 5 swap. Personally I like having to throw through all the gears, and my car is not really for the drag or autox. I guess its just a preference, and I would be very interested to see how the beefed up 6 speeds handle under high hp/tq situations. My .02.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

metal, If the tranny were ever to sh*t the bed I think I would just rebuild it instead of doing the 5 swap. Personally I like having to throw through all the gears, and my car is not really for the drag or autox. I guess its just a preference, and I would be very interested to see how the beefed up 6 speeds handle under high hp/tq situations. My .02.
Glad to hear the 6spd is holding up. Having a 6spd myself, I'm in complete agreement that going through 6 gears is more fun than 5. My 09 Corolla is a 5spd and I always feel like it's missing an extra gear.
Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

yep, i did an auto to manual swap in my 98 prelude, 5 speed is so weird to me. I have almost shifted down into reverse a couple times thinking I am pulling into 6th ... should have done it and did that thing a favor. It has had a tough life...
Old Oct 3, 2009, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Jason and I couldn't figure out what the bump in the torque and HP curve is around 5200, we think it has something to do with the MIVEC map, any remedies? thoughts?
Remedy - tune it? If it has to do with mivec why didn't he tune the mivec map while it was one the dyno (best place to tune mivec) - doesn't make much sense to me......its not tricky at all there is a map in the rom, start adjusting it in the area of issue and tune the dip out.

Also why a dual stage ebc? you have map switching which provides boost per map as well not to mention that its GEAR based boost control and you can have high boost on your e85 maps and low on the pump gas. Its easier to tune than an ebc, WAY cheaper, and proven to work better - confused on the selection when you have a great ecu to control it?
Old Oct 3, 2009, 08:05 AM
Evolving Member

I switched to 2 MT90 and one Redline heavy shockproof in the tranny recently. It's the best mix I have used in this evo. Thanks to Travis for the recommendation.

Anyone have a decent stereo setup using just the stock speaker locations? I'd like to improve what Jackie Chan put in there.

Last edited by Evol.ved; Oct 3, 2009 at 08:14 AM.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet