Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 4, 2009, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, you won't need this if your not tuning the car yourself, all you need to log is EVOscan.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spend the extra $ and someday you'll thank yourself... Just my $.02.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Ok. I ordered the one with ability to reflash.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ian have you checked out AMS's thread where they tested all the different name brands of cams? They were on a decently modded car but i think the consensus was that the tests still showed valid results in powerband/streetability.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Ian have you checked out AMS's thread where they tested all the different name brands of cams? They were on a decently modded car but i think the consensus was that the tests still showed valid results in powerband/streetability.
Yea go with something good. Wont regret that purchase...

BF 272
GSC's
FP 4Pr cams are NASTY
and cosworth M2 are nice.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Cool thanks thats what I was looking for

Originally Posted by metalsaber
Ok. I ordered the one with ability to reflash.
Good move... It will come in handy if you ever need to make slight adjustments or more if you decide to later...
Old Oct 4, 2009, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIan
Hey guys I'm lookin for a little advice... I want the 272 cams but I am not sure which ones to get... The Crowers look to be the cheapest. Does anyone know of a particular problem with them?

Jer if you don't mind chiming in here I'd appreciate it... If I remember correctly you were running the crowers right?

I had the BC 272/272 in the 05. They were acceptable.

HKS 272 or 280 can be made to idle pretty smooth.. GSC makes some very good cams as well that will idle like stock.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Evol.ved
I had the BC 272/272 in the 05. They were acceptable.

HKS 272 or 280 can be made to idle pretty smooth.. GSC makes some very good cams as well that will idle like stock.
Thanks Dave

Any thoughts on cam gears? Which ones were you running?
Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoIan
Thanks Dave

Any thoughts on cam gears? Which ones were you running?

Cam gears look really nice under one of those clear cam belt covers. I really enjoyed having them every time I drove around with the hood off while sitting in the passenger seat.

I had AEM cam gears. If you can get a cheap set you might as well do it while you are putting in cams but I wouldn't go spend $200 for a fancy set.

Don't worry to much about what you spend on cams. Labor will be more of a factor then the parts themselves so get whatever set you think will be best and go from there.

Last edited by Evol.ved; Oct 5, 2009 at 03:50 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

I went with the HKS 272s for the idle.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Ian, I run crower cams ( not BC). They are great cams, I made just sbout 30 whp from them. The idle is alittle loopy but just turn up the idle allitl and your fine. Cower has been making cams for a long time so I trusted them myself. Now they were on par pricing with the HKS ones but maybe they have come down in price.

And let's say that I have some real world testing on the cams and they do the job. Now cams are not some special part that you need to be too picky, just buy the right ones for where you want the power to be. . Or you can listen to the idiot peteypab.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Oct 5, 2009 at 08:58 AM.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
I went with the HKS 272s for the idle.
I'm happy with mine as well. While they won't produce as much power as others, they are a good all around cam.

On a side note (hopefully it won't get deleted), do any of you guys know of someone in the area looking to get rid of a stock hood? I would prefer in Apex Silver so I don't have to repaint.

Also, any good sources for a SE front lip? Again, Apex Silver preferred.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

So my clutch just basically died on me yesterday. It cant handle any power. I realized this when i was on the highway last evening and tried to accelerate past someone. 5th gear and a little boost and the rpms just went straight up.

This was on the way home from north park, so im pretty sure the autox was the thing that finally did it in. what kinda confuses me is that it was working perfectly normal all day, nothing different than any other time. And my last run i get my best time of the day (by far). which leads me to believe it must have been working alright. that run was the last time the car was driven until the ride home. so idk how it went from being fine (it seems) to basically toasted, when all i had done was street driving in between me noticing it was **** and the run when it seemed okay. Also i dont do hard launches on the thing.

im not really complaining because now i can upgrade it instead of babying it like i usto, worrying about this exact thing. My question is what would you guys recommend for a new one. im kinda looking for a cheap option but a decent one lol. also what else should i do while im gonna be in there for the work...
Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oki Panoki
So my clutch just basically died on me yesterday. It cant handle any power. I realized this when i was on the highway last evening and tried to accelerate past someone. 5th gear and a little boost and the rpms just went straight up.

This was on the way home from north park, so im pretty sure the autox was the thing that finally did it in. what kinda confuses me is that it was working perfectly normal all day, nothing different than any other time. And my last run i get my best time of the day (by far). which leads me to believe it must have been working alright. that run was the last time the car was driven until the ride home. so idk how it went from being fine (it seems) to basically toasted, when all i had done was street driving in between me noticing it was **** and the run when it seemed okay. Also i dont do hard launches on the thing.

im not really complaining because now i can upgrade it instead of babying it like i usto, worrying about this exact thing. My question is what would you guys recommend for a new one. im kinda looking for a cheap option but a decent one lol. also what else should i do while im gonna be in there for the work...

the clutch will always go from the top gear down. my car drove fine with the clutch in the beginning stages of death until i would try to pass someone on the the highway, then the slipping would start.

i believe it has something to do with the load you're placing on the car as you try to accelerate from low rpms in higher gear, but don't quote me on that.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:41 PM
Evolved Member

I replaced the turbo before I went to mike for the clutch job, and the OEM clutch held just fine in the lower gears, but he said in 4th or 5th gear when he went to WOT you could just walk right past the catch and the RPMs would skyrocket. I knew it was in trouble though, because even after some beating the stock clutch would noticeably change catch positions in the pedal during stops and starts... I chose the exedy because I had had a few nightmares with ACT in the past on my turbo honda when i changed the clutch. Constant lockouts at high RPMs, and when I read of similar things happening to people on the evo platform, I said no thanks. I AM NOT BASHING ACT, I know many people use them with no problem, and they are significantly cheaper depending on the setup, but IMO I chose to pay more up front for the clutch than to have problems and start over again... just my .02

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet