Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get an exedy triple. sure it sucks on the street, is the heavier than my bottom end, and sounds like a meat grinder under your hood, but you cant break it.
just my .02
Old Oct 5, 2009, 04:22 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
the clutch will always go from the top gear down. my car drove fine with the clutch in the beginning stages of death until i would try to pass someone on the the highway, then the slipping would start.

i believe it has something to do with the load you're placing on the car as you try to accelerate from low rpms in higher gear, but don't quote me on that.
ahh i see. i havnt seen what it does in 1st or 2nd, i just know it did it in 3rd-5th. i guess it also came at a good time thou since im just over 60K and ive been getting things ready for that task. might as well do it all at once.

im just really bummed that this might mean im done with racing for this year idk i might be wrong, if it holds through some decent work in 3rd maybe i can just really baby it and it'll hold out for just long enough.

but i still need some opinions on what to replace it with if anyone's got any recommendations. I know there are some CHEAP CHEAP options out there but idk if those are even worth the time...
Old Oct 5, 2009, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

^^ Haha yeah, i think thats just a bit outta my price range lol. and for my purposes (DD, even if thats only about once a week)...... impossible

also i guess it would help to understand if you knew my perf. mods: basic run of the mill stuff, int/exh, IC pipes, fuel pump, MBC... 26psi

Last edited by Oki Panoki; Oct 5, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 04:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What clutch do you have in it now that is going? Like I said, I love my exedy twin, minimal noise, very streetable and can take a hell of a beating and can easily handle the mods you have listed...
Old Oct 5, 2009, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

My personal opinion on clutches is even for a moderate power Evo , I still believe the Exedy twin is best purchase. It will grow with your power needs , it WILL have a lighter pdal feel than comparable single disk clutches. Only draw back is some noise upon engagement , but they are actually more streetable than a single plate that compares in TQ capacity
Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

holy shat,
dan nicely is alive!!!!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Garrett WTF , You need to bring your silly A$$ down to MIR with us !!!
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oki Panoki
^^ Haha yeah, i think thats just a bit outta my price range lol. and for my purposes (DD, even if thats only about once a week)...... impossible

also i guess it would help to understand if you knew my perf. mods: basic run of the mill stuff, int/exh, IC pipes, fuel pump, MBC... 26psi

well stock stuff starts slipping soon as you tune the car.

I suggest the Exedy Twin disk. ACT sucks.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by buchnerj
What clutch do you have in it now that is going? Like I said, I love my exedy twin, minimal noise, very streetable and can take a hell of a beating and can easily handle the mods you have listed...
to be honest im not completely sure what is in it. i really think it is stock and the previous owner said it was never changed. im excited in a way to finally know when i take it out. all the evos i can remember driving didnt have stock clutches from what i knew

and the exedy twin was one of the first things that came to mind as an option. Especially with rebuilds available... think id be a good idea to pick up a used one and get it rebuilt since the pad kit is about $500. or are "used" clutches kinda risky. im sorry, i really dont know much about clutches so thanks for helping
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

who all you goin with??
ill request off wednesday if there is a ridiculous crew attending. gombos, hanko, and you, had me cracking up at the buschur shoot out
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Whats a good used stock go for? I have a Exedy Twin HD laying around to be installed on my car. However my Stock used clutch is pretty much perfect from what I can tell. I have no noticeable slip. The car has 28k miles on it. No launches. Was waiting to get my twin HD installed before doing that.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 06:59 PM
Evolved Member

Garrett like 15 of us I think in total rolling down , leaving early Friday come home Sunday shlts gonna be bonkers haha
Old Oct 5, 2009, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Im not really sure about used clutches, I mean if you do go used, make sure to get some detailed pictures and have the seller answer some questions, like launches, miles, etc... However 90% of the time all you need is a friction material pad replacement and your good to go.

Yeah, the twin does have a little noise, but it seriously does go down over time. If it is installed correctly then the noise should be manageable, and if you have a car that is doing the HP necessary for the clutch, you can barely hear it over the engine noise. Also, after some good pulls on the dyno the noise has gone down even more.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 10:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steelcityevo8
Garrett like 15 of us I think in total rolling down , leaving early Friday come home Sunday shlts gonna be bonkers haha
MIR or bust?
Old Oct 6, 2009, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
well stock stuff starts slipping soon as you tune the car.
where do you come up with this stuff?

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet