Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2009, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Jeff - since it is a CF replacement of the factory front aero lip, i assume it would be the same as how mine is mounted. If you still need help, i can look at how mine is mounted and snap a few pics when i get home.

Did you go with the Tein S-Techs? I am torn between getting springs or a coilover set. Plus, that almost 1 and a half inch drop in the front might not be street/hill friendly around here. Let me know how you like them.
go with coilovers. in my experience springs do nothing but trash your stock struts.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blueberryyumyum
Oh and also i purchased TEIN lowering springs. If anyone you know thats up for a side job PM me =).. (Im also thinking about purchasing a 200+ piece craftsman tool set, jack, and jack stands at sears so i can start wrentchin on my own damn car lol)
Its a good little purchase to have! I drive around with that exact same tool kit in my car all the time.. Although you really only need an 8mm,10mm,12mm,14mm phillips head and some hose clamps. If you break something that requires a different tool, its not something you can fix on the evo anyways

you need a spring compressor to do the springs on your car, you can skate around using one taking it off, but the chances are you will break something in the garage when you release it from the strut.. You can pick em up cheap also, and kinda nice to have.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MondoBongo
go with coilovers. in my experience springs do nothing but trash your stock struts.
Ya, so far that argument is what has kept me from buying anything. I hate to say it, but i want to lower the car strictly for aesthetics. I dont need competition stuff while im sitting at a redlight. Coilovers - of any sort - would be overkill, but springs tend to wear out shocks and struts if they are not revalved. I'd probably end up spending just as much to either get them taken off, revalved, and put back on (or if they blow and i have to replace them) as if i would just buy coilovers.

I dunno, i have all winter to decide.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 When i was removing my stock ones ...the whole front drivers side assembly fell apart when i dropped it out..literally the whole shaft came apart from the top...
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:32 AM
Evolving Member

Tim that's the same reason why i bought springs. I make it to one or two auto x events a yr at beaverun just for fun but nothing to crazy.. I dd my car and looking for a softer ride.. I'm also a broke college kid stuck with a $1000 car payment/insurance a month
Old Oct 15, 2009, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tim that's the same reason why i bought springs. I make it to one or two auto x events a yr at beaverun just for fun but nothing to crazy.. I dd my car and looking for a softer ride.. I'm also a broke college kid stuck with a $1000 car payment/insurance a month
Save a little while and get some low mileage coilovers. I paid 700 shipped for Megan Track's with 500 miles on them (hadn't even seen rain). Regardless of other's issues with them, they have been great for me - I think alot of it has to do with the installation. Really tightens up the handling and gives more feedback. I turned mine down to the softest settings and they ride better than my old Bilsteins and are only noticeably harder over expansion joints/giant pittsburgh sinkholes (known locally as, "potholes.")
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Canexican
giant pittsburgh sinkholes (known locally as, "potholes.")

Your not driving you car through a sink hole even a small one would swallow the front of a car (see pic)....and a pothole is not local terminology that is the actual terminology of what is on a road - if a sink hole forms you got problems .

From Google IMG

Sinkhole:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinkhole

Pothole:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pothole
Old Oct 15, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Ya, so far that argument is what has kept me from buying anything. I hate to say it, but i want to lower the car strictly for aesthetics. I dont need competition stuff while im sitting at a redlight. Coilovers - of any sort - would be overkill, but springs tend to wear out shocks and struts if they are not revalved. I'd probably end up spending just as much to either get them taken off, revalved, and put back on (or if they blow and i have to replace them) as if i would just buy coilovers.

I dunno, i have all winter to decide.
to my knowledge factory struts cannot be revalved, but i could be wrong.

even if they can once you add up the exspense of having them re-done, buying the springs, and install, might as well have just bought coilovers.

trust me, you will regret getting springs.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:06 PM
Evolving Member

to my knowledge factory struts cannot be revalved, but i could be wrong.

even if they can once you add up the exspense of having them re-done, buying the springs, and install, might as well have just bought coilovers.

trust me, you will regret getting springs.
thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:43 PM
Evolving Member

used the advanced search and found a decent how to do a spring install.. instead of dishing out money for the install goin to make a trip down to sears to get me a few early little xmas present =) Thanks you capital one 0% interest credit card lol
Old Oct 15, 2009, 02:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
one of the vendors on here sells the megan streets on group buys like once a month...price was low!!!
Old Oct 15, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by travman

Your not driving you car through a sink hole even a small one would swallow the front of a car (see pic)....and a pothole is not local terminology that is the actual terminology of what is on a road
Trav, I was being facetious and am quite aware of the difference. Thanks though .
Old Oct 15, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

facetious.... nice word lol
Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

used the advanced search and found a decent how to do a spring install.. instead of dishing out money for the install goin to make a trip down to sears to get me a few early little xmas present =) Thanks you capital one 0% interest credit card lol
doing the actual spring swap is pretty easy, it's just tedious.

when we did my springs jeremy rented a spring compressor from autozone, a nice sturdy one made from cast iron.

then we sat there for 4 hours drinking beer and cranking on ratchets till we had everything swapped over.

a little tip, make sure the spring seats correctly in the perch. you will see a small lip on the top and bottom perch where the end of the spring will fit in. to align the perches there are small holes drilled in them, line the holes up between the top and bottom perch, then stick your top hats on.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

If any locals like the MR BBS SE wheels, i am currently have mine in the FS section.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ml#post7617314

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet