Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's the car!

Patrick, I'm excited myself to have you and your car out there next year. We will have some fun. If things start looking up for me I might get alittle closer to your cars weight. I will need to run a good tire to keep you close tho. .

What tire are you planning on running? I've heard good things about the Michelin blues. Altho there are not many sizes that we can make work on the EVO. I'm sure I will run a few laps on the Hoosier A6's but they won't last. I'm thinking a set of the bfg R1's might be a good all around choice.

Last edited by jerdeitzel; Dec 23, 2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
That's the car!

Patrick, I'm excited myself to have you and your car out there next year. We will have some fun. If things start looking up for me I might get alittle closer to your cars weight. I will need to run a good tire to keep you close tho. .

What tire are you planning on running? I've heard good things about the Michelin blues. Altho there are not many sizes that we can make work on the EVO. I'm sure I will run a few laps on the Hoosier A6's but they won't last. I'm thinking a set of the bfg R1's might be a good all around choice.
Although we still have a long way to go given all the setbacks this year, it will be fun to get the car out on the track! You are more than welcome to take it out on a Friday afternoon at the Beav as I would value your input!

Biggest challenge will be setting up a fairly complex suspension (I think it was you and Mike that were laughing that it will take 20 years to get the car set up properly...likely not too far from the truth!).

I picked up a set of used BFG-R1's from AMS that had a few laps on them, so I will try them 1st. I also have a set of used Advan A08's (also from AMS) that are pretty much new....I'll try them as rain tires as they are full tread. Alot of the Porsche guys use the Blues, but I don't know much about them or availability, etc.

A6's likely aren't in the budget. I don't anticipate the car being that competitive in TTS so the NASA conitingency likely won't be applicable. (Now we could always color your hair grey and put you in the seat for a couple of sessions and score some Hoosiers that way )
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by holiday63
^^thanks. Oh damn, that's bad ***. It isn't by chance the silver (or grey?) mr at domination is it?

Wand, are u building an Evo for time attack?
Yes, that was the wreck that has been in and out of domination chassis since late March/early April.

I'm targeting the car for 3-4 NASA time attack events in TTS (full of Corvettes, so not the best place for an Evo but it will be fun nonetheless!).

I think NASA Great Lakes is trying to run at BeaveRun in June, so definitely come out and see it!
Old Dec 23, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

How are the cars placed in classes? Like what is the tts bracket and how is your car classified to race in it with vettes? Hp-to- weight ratio, engine output, etc?

Last edited by holiday63; Dec 23, 2009 at 01:01 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

How are the cars placed in classes? Like what is the tts bracket and how is your car classified to race in it with vettes? Hp-to- weight ratio, engine output, etc?
Correct; H/P to weight, and then you take/give points for tires and a handful of other items. You can get Vette's to Civics' and everything in between.

TTR/TTS/TTU are the least complex classes to complete in if you have done more than just the basic stuff to your car.

The other classes up to TTA are like watching your weight and counting calories as most anything you do adds points to the equation and is factored into the H/P to weight ratio.

The real trick is to a get nice big chunky "area under the curve". The best set up would be one that produced a ton of TQ as TQ is not in the classing equation.

I asked Mike to look for a good condition 4G64 block for a rainy day....
Old Dec 24, 2009, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Keep us posted. Love to see the car run!!
Old Dec 24, 2009, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Setting up triple adj suspension is going to take a bit of time to get right. I have a few friends that have worked thru the learning process that can help out with any questions. You do have top of the line stuff tho, so once you get a good handle on things, you will be able to make them do whatever you want.

I've been thinking lately about starting to run NASA events myself. My car should fit into TTS also I'm thinking. I actually think a EVO might stand a chance against the vette's in TTS. At least on some of the tighter tracks.

Was this recently you bought the tires from AMS? I saw a thread a while ago about them. Then I went back to look again and it wasn't there. I was thinking of calling them and trying to get a few sets of the R1's myself. I'm guessing your running the 285-18's then?

Let me kno if you need a hand with anything.
Old Dec 24, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
Setting up triple adj suspension is going to take a bit of time to get right. I have a few friends that have worked thru the learning process that can help out with any questions. You do have top of the line stuff tho, so once you get a good handle on things, you will be able to make them do whatever you want.

I've been thinking lately about starting to run NASA events myself. My car should fit into TTS also I'm thinking. I actually think a EVO might stand a chance against the vette's in TTS. At least on some of the tighter tracks.

Was this recently you bought the tires from AMS? I saw a thread a while ago about them. Then I went back to look again and it wasn't there. I was thinking of calling them and trying to get a few sets of the R1's myself. I'm guessing your running the 285-18's then?

Let me kno if you need a hand with anything.
Here's the tire thread https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...ires-sale.html

Not sure what they have left but the pricing was very inexpensive and included the shipping. I got 265's as I wasn't sure what wheel size I was going to run at the time, and anything under 275's doesn't cost points!

It would great to see you out in TTS! BeaveRun, along with the events at Summit and Mid-O, all are within striking distance
Old Dec 26, 2009, 02:25 PM

hey guys...well i think i finally got the itch to buy cams...but wasnt really sure everything i needed to make everything run smoothly...my current mods are ams tbe, ams fmic, ams licp....i was thinking about going with gsc s1 mivec cams, ams head studs, gsc springs, boost controller, aem wideband....i have a ix mr with 32k on it...stock clutch is doing fine at the moment...i dont launch the car or beat on it like crazy...should i be planning on a new clutch with these mods?? thankksss
Old Dec 26, 2009, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Local gurus, I need your vast Evo knowledge.

Got a leaking drivers side axle/axle seal. Replaced the axle seal 2 nights ago, but alas I still have a slow leak. Upon inspection of the axle itself, everything appears structurally fine, nothing remarkable or out of the ordinary. I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Google search brings up enough results to make me think this is a somewhat common occurance, however nobody can provide a definative answer just mere speculation.

Any thoughts?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 07:12 PM

Local gurus, I need your vast Evo knowledge.

Got a leaking drivers side axle/axle seal. Replaced the axle seal 2 nights ago, but alas I still have a slow leak. Upon inspection of the axle itself, everything appears structurally fine, nothing remarkable or out of the ordinary. I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Google search brings up enough results to make me think this is a somewhat common occurance, however nobody can provide a definative answer just mere speculation.

Any thoughts?

Check the lock rings on the stub shaft...if it doesnt lock in the axle shaft can move in and out...causing leak.........
Old Dec 26, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

mike i was hoping you'd chime in.

i had shep build my tcase with a wavetrac diff. i reinstalled the tcase issue free, but im beginning to think the stub shaft may have a little excess play on it. i cant be sure there is excess play because i didnt feel for play before i pulled it out the first time with a slide hammer.

the axles are definatley locked on the lock rings because i need a pry bar to get the axle off the stub shaft.

the metal cup on the end of the axle which mates to the stub shaft is perfectly round, no burrs, no scratches, etc.

ill take one more look at it, then i may bring it in to you to get an experts opinion.

you think you'd be able to check it out mike?

Last edited by holiday63; Dec 26, 2009 at 07:57 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

If the axles been replaced, check the actual Tcase seal could be nicked. The axle is a sealed unit and shouldn't leak ever, check if its leaking from above down on it.. The axel i think has a gray thicker fluid in it.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

I think you have the wrong picture Eric. I'm leaking gear oil (turquoise color redline shockproof) where the axle meets the transmission on the drivers side. I thought it was the seal but it appears as though I have a bigger issue
Old Dec 27, 2009, 05:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is there any free software out there that I can pull the code for a service engine soon light? I had this happen about a month ago. I started the car up and it came on. Took it to Baierl and Mike said it was a speed sensor warning. He reset it. I haven't driven the car much since. So I started it up today just to get it running and it threw the SES light again. I guess it's the same code, but it would be nice to confirm before running down again.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet