Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
she cant do any worse than me - im horrid and will admit it, but damn i have fun
technically i think you mean she couldn't do any worse than me. if memory serves me correctly, you beat me by a few tenths the last time you came out.

i have high hopes for this season though. tell jo she needs to man up and hit some cones!
Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After all of these cold winter mornings, I am seriously looking into a remote starter for the car. Any ideas? Specific choices? What have all of you gone with, if anything?

Much appreciated.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

^^

You have a girlfriend? haha
Old Jan 7, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Ok guys, I'm getting things planned for this spring regarding upgrades to the EVO.

Getting the Exedy Twin Disc clutch installed
FP Red/Black Turbo - Still up in the air about that.
Porting done on the turbo
Larger Injectors

Was talking with Dan at Buschur's and the AEM EMS was brought up (long term build E85/built engine). I'm not familiar with them at all, was hoping you guys could offer some opinions. Could anyone post up thoughts/links regarding AEM EMS setup? Pros & Cons? Performance enhancements over stock ECU?

Last edited by metalsaber; Jan 7, 2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Could anyone post up thoughts/links regarding AEM EMS setup?
It's pointless on a street car. On a pure race car it's something you can get if you want.

Pros & Cons?
You can't pass inspection with one.-con

Performance enhancements over stock ECU?
None for what you have.

What did Buschur say to justify such a purchase? I admit I am curious.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evol.ved
It's pointless on a street car. On a pure race car it's something you can get if you want.

You can't pass inspection with one.-con

None for what you have.

What did Buschur say to justify such a purchase? I admit I am curious.
We were talking about long term build such as possible E85 and built engine. Should have prefaced my questions with that. Though luckily we don't have emissions inspections in my county. Thanks for the input!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
Ok guys, I'm getting things planned for this spring regarding upgrades to the EVO.

Getting the Exedy Twin Disc clutch installed
FP Red/Black Turbo - Still up in the air about that.
Porting done on the turbo
Larger Injectors

Was talking with Dan at Buschur's and the AEM EMS was brought up. I'm not familiar with them at all, was hoping you guys could offer some opinions. Could anyone post up thoughts/links regarding AEM EMS setup? Pros & Cons? Performance enhancements over stock ECU?
For those parts you DO NOT need an AEM - thanks to the wonderful guys that have created patch after patch you can do just about anything you will ever need on the stock ecu. I can go very in depth as I have done everything to my car (MYSELF) that is available including running no MAF - Speed Density just like the good ole AEM.

Also thanks to the new big maps we have resolution out the ying yang for load/rpm scaling in the fuel / timing maps not to mention gear based boost control, Speed Density, NLTS, Launch Control, etc etc the list goes on and on and on.

Pros?

For a stock frame turbo in street car trim? - NONE over a stock ecu, 100% total waste of money......

Cons:

Unless you know someone that will risk there inspection license to give you an emissions sticker, wont be happening.

No factory knock control - You will get to log knock voltage, yeah will totally save your motor - i pinky promise lol:

Cost - you pay for the ecu, all sensors to make it work, plus you will have a nice big tuning bill (great for the vendor pushing it).

You wont get the best overall daily drive ability that you have with a stock ecu and worry free use that you need for a daily driver, wait till you wake up some cold morning go to start the car and the AEM just happened to lose the tune through the night - whoops!

I can keep going and going if i keep thinking - honestly the fact they offered the AEM to you with that setup is a scam imo....
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

We were talking about long term build such as possible E85 and built engine. Should have prefaced my questions with that. Though luckily we don't have emissions inspections in my county. Thanks for the input!
No need for AEM still.....

I run E85 on a stock ecu? A stock ecu will run the ID2000 injectors - doubt u will ever need bigger than that? Built motor has nothing to do with needing an AEM....all lies and propaganda

Mellon tuning has been dyno'd at like 700whp on a big turbo and stock MAF / stock ecu car..

Talk to the guys at English Racing - one of the the huge contributors in the ecuflash (Aaron aka John Bradley) forum has a built motor, big turbo, etc and LOVES the stock ecu and they are not known to have slow cars.

I mean nobody can tell you what to do but its seriously a waste of money and many people that are very familiar as myself with the stock ecu will all agree.....
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by travman
For those parts you DO NOT need an AEM - thanks to the wonderful guys that have created patch after patch you can do just about anything you will ever need on the stock ecu. I can go very in depth as I have done everything to my car (MYSELF) that is available including running no MAF - Speed Density just like the good ole AEM.

Also thanks to the new big maps we have resolution out the ying yang for load/rpm scaling in the fuel / timing maps not to mention gear based boost control, Speed Density, NLTS, Launch Control, etc etc the list goes on and on and on.

Pros?

For a stock frame turbo in street car trim? - NONE over a stock ecu, 100% total waste of money......

Cons:

Unless you know someone that will risk there inspection license to give you an emissions sticker, wont be happening.

No factory knock control - You will get to log knock voltage, yeah will totally save your motor - i pinky promise lol:

Cost - you pay for the ecu, all sensors to make it work, plus you will have a nice big tuning bill (great for the vendor pushing it).

You wont get the best overall daily drive ability that you have with a stock ecu and worry free use that you need for a daily driver, wait till you wake up some cold morning go to start the car and the AEM just happened to lose the tune through the night - whoops!

I can keep going and going if i keep thinking - honestly the fact they offered the AEM to you with that setup is a scam imo....

Never thought I would agree with Trav, but this I do.

AEM is VERY undependable, is difficult to perfect (Cold starts, Idle issues with throttle body hang etc etc) but it can be done.

As it goes for automobiles its technically illegal to modify the ECU or CAT when attempting to get inspected. HOWEVER, its nothing more than a plug and play system that is under your glove box, and with a base map saved on the stock ECU you could theoretically change it out that 1 day a year. Just gotta keep your maf etc handy unless you plan to tune the stock ECU to handle it like TRAV said, and in that case might as well just stick with it.

I had an AEM and thought it was a useless. Stock ECU is doing amazing stuff now.

stay with the stock ECU and save the $1300+ and put it towards more mods or a big screen TV
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
Never thought I would agree with Trav, but this I do.

Hey now its not like i spit out total BS all the time and pretend to know what im doing? I have yet to lead anyone astray that has asked for my help.....

we just don't agree because you like to turn screws - i like to turn screws with the proper settings and understanding to set stuff up correctly and not just "guess" or "close enough".

Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

I have an aem, and so does steelcity.

My car isn't daily driven, but if it were I'd pull my hair out.

I personally like it, but that's only because Ive learned the software pretty well since I got it.
It's tough to learn on, it's complex, and the Evo ecu is more than capable to put out big power. Consider yourself fortunate because many cars NEED aem to make power... Evo isn't one of them.

If u were building an all out drag/track car that got trailored everywhere and needed the little bit extra power some tuners can get on a standalone, then I would suggest it. Until then, stick with the stock computer, you're biting off more than u can chew with 'the box'
Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

^^

Thanks guys!
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Any thoughts on Red vs Black on pump gas (for now)? By the time you get the upgraded oil lines for the Red you are basically $25-$50 from the Black. Seems like the lag between the Red and Black are minor. Obviously on pump gas the hp differences will be minor, but thinking long term again with possible E85.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Any thoughts on Red vs Black on pump gas (for now)? By the time you get the upgraded oil lines for the Red you are basically $25-$50 from the Black. Seems like the lag between the Red and Black are minor. Obviously on pump gas the hp differences will be minor, but thinking long term again with possible E85.
go black - if your future goals are full of more power just spend the money once.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Get the red so you can spend the fifty dollars on a good pair of leather soled shoes.

After you go e85 and a red turbo and put that power through an evo transfer case you'll be doing a lot of walking so those shoes will really come in handy.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet