Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i agree with you 100% about the interior. you figure for the same money you could have a bmw 3 series, or comparable audi with a much nicer interior.

it always amuses me when i talk to someone who doesn't know what the evo is and see their reaction to how much it costs. then you have to sound like a dweeb saying "no no no you don't understand, what you actually get is..."

are you planning on staying in miami after you finish your grad work? down there having a convertible would actually be rather practical.

if you do decide to sell the IX before you move let me know, i wouldn't mind trying to hammer out a deal with you for those kw's.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If anything I would try and sell the car as a whole, but I'll keep that in mind. I still can't believe I am even considering it. I remember when I bought it from Baierl brand new I said I would never part with it, but getting older (im only 23) and now the city living with no garage. I see it as a problem on the horizon.

I am going for my PhD in Marine and Atmospheric Chemistry at UMiami, so I will be there for at least 5 years for school, but even after that, it is the hub for marine sciences in the US, so I will probably stay.

Somewhere down the road when I have a house, I would LOVE to have this car, but for now I can't afford to make the insurance payments on it while letting it 1) sit in a garage in Pittsburgh or 2) constantly have to pay shops to do work that I could do if I had a garage.

I don't even know what I should ask for on private sale, or how much I could even get for it if I traded it in... So confused. At least I have a little time (~5 months) to make up my mind.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:03 PM

That's a tough decision bro. I will say that having a comfy DD and the Evo as a weekend car isn't so bad, but paying all that insurance on 2 cars sucks when each one is only driven half time, at best.

You could always sell the Honda, move down there and play it by ear? No need to make any decisions you will regret, right?

You could check the local forums down there and see if there are any reputable shops in the area.

BTW You both have IX's, so you're one up on me! JJ, I'm sure you remember
Old Jan 28, 2010, 11:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I know not to rush into anything. On top of that I am pretty sure the dealer wouldn't give me what I was looking for on a trade in anyways, so I would have to sell it privately. Hell, with the ARC exhaust and the Robispec coilovers thats almost 5 grand between the suspension and exhaust. Now I know I won't recoup all of that, but still, I think It should be worth more than the ~21k the dealer would give me on a trade in.

Oh well, looks like I will just play it by ear until I either realize after the move that a change needs to be made, or if Baierl gets a new X in and I take it for a test drive and it blows my mind. So, I guess I will keep my ears to the ground.

Anyone here who switched from a IX to an X, or VIII to X? Thoughts? Reasons? Suggestions?

Many thanks to those who are amusing my thoughts. This snow needs to stop ASAP. I'm freezing my ***** off walking to the car in the AM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by buchnerj
Yeah, I know not to rush into anything. On top of that I am pretty sure the dealer wouldn't give me what I was looking for on a trade in anyways, so I would have to sell it privately. Hell, with the ARC exhaust and the Robispec coilovers thats almost 5 grand between the suspension and exhaust. Now I know I won't recoup all of that, but still, I think It should be worth more than the ~21k the dealer would give me on a trade in.
Yeah I know you seem like you don't want to do it, but parting that beast out would definitely payoff.

Anyone here who switched from a IX to an X, or VIII to X? Thoughts? Reasons? Suggestions?
I'm sure MR Tim will chime in shortly, he went from an IX to an X

Many thanks to those who are amusing my thoughts. This snow needs to stop ASAP. I'm freezing my ***** off walking to the car in the AM.
Cushy DD FTW! Remote start + heated seats = No cleaning snow and nice warm seat every morning!

Although I got my rude awakening I got to my truck yesterday and apparently the remote start killed the battery after sitting for a month so I had to get a jump, scrape my windows, and jump into a cold seat. January in Tokyo (Hence the 4 AM post) was much milder than this crap! Anyone wanna go groundhog killing in Punxy?

Last edited by EvoIan; Jan 29, 2010 at 12:57 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 04:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIan
Anyone wanna go groundhog killing in Punxy?

i'll bring the ghillie suits.

welcome back to the states.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Have you considered getting a Ralliart? It would be a hell of a lot cheaper and you could still get all the creature comforts of a newer car?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

If I were you I'd get rid of the car. Buy something used but nice. (older BMW). Then go enjoy being young and living in Miami. Do lots of partying and have money to go have fun in grad school. Just my opinion!

As for what your car is worth. I'd be suprised if the dealer gave you more then 18g. I don't think you even sell it privatly for 21g. I know that sounds depressing. Now maybe you will get lucky and find a buyer that will pay more but I bet it would be a hard sell.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Oh well, looks like I will just play it by ear until I either realize after the move that a change needs to be made, or if Baierl gets a new X in and I take it for a test drive and it blows my mind. So, I guess I will keep my ears to the ground.

I would part the car out for sure if you do get rid of it. Do cash + stock parts if you don't have them all. I know I'd be interested in the Robi spec and the exhaust.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

I went from the IX to the X (actually had both cars for a while).

The 2 cars are very different IMHO. The X is a very nice car on it's own, but lacks the raw edge of the IX (which makes the IX a car that is more "fun").

The X does not have all the accountrements that BMW's and Audi's offer (albeit doesn't cost as much) so in that respect it falls short as a perfromance luxury sedan. So, I think the X is a "tweener"...not qute a IX, and not quite a BMW/Audi.

If you elect to sell your car, completely part it out (no question) and bring it back to stock. You will get nowhere near what you have into it from a dealer, and unless you have someone that can fully apprciate the mods you've added, they will likely not pay top dollar either.

I had Mike do the conversion back to stock (mostly suspension/brakes/etc.) when I sold my IX via private party and it was money well spent. The IX sold in less than 2 weeks for around the 21K mark just through Autotrader; sold off the mods I didn't need with ease...

BTW, congrats on on the move and the pursuit of your PhD....once you are South you will likely never come back
Old Jan 29, 2010, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went from a IX MR to an X GSR. Surprisingly, it was a drastic difference. My X is much easier and more comfortable to DD when i used it for that - and ultimately that is why i chose to move to the X. I also knew that i was never going to mod it beyond BPU's. Especially since you are considering an MR, you will not get the high numbers out of it as what you currently have without some serious investment into the SST. You may say that you wont mod, but i said that also. Twice. My X was modded faster than my IX. Before 1000 miles were on the odometer, i had already started.

The X's are very underwhelming in stock form. Partly due to the stock tune, partly due to the girth and in the MR's case, partly due to the SST. Although i understand that they have made head over heels changes to the SST software for 2010 that atleast matches the GSR's stock performance.

The best thing you can do is test drive one. As many times as you can. If you feel that its right for you, then roll with it. If i had to do it over again, I may have kept my IX. Sometimes i miss it enough that i contemplate getting rid of my X.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there is something you wanna check out. Although my car wont be available for a few weeks since im getting the wing painted due to a buffing accident

I'm sure MR Tim will chime in shortly, he went from an IX to an X
Thanks for the segway Ian How was Tokyo? Any pics from the land of the rising sun?
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
=
Thanks for the segway Ian How was Tokyo? Any pics from the land of the rising sun?
Just to say its awesome doesn't really do it any justice!! I saw just about every site anyone had reccomended and I didn't want to leave. Unfortunately I didn't make it to Mitsubishi Motors due to the whole language barrier thing but maybe next time
Attached Thumbnails local Pittsburgh Meet-sodegaura-pics-193.jpg   local Pittsburgh Meet-sodegaura-pics-090.jpg   local Pittsburgh Meet-sodegaura-pics-276.jpg  
Old Jan 29, 2010, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

^^

Nice. Love to get there someday. However without a company picking up the tab, I seriously doubt I would make it in my lifetime.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:19 AM

Yeah I can't complain about this trip, usually they send me to some dump of a power gen plant in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Just to say its awesome doesn't really do it any justice!! I saw just about every site anyone had reccomended and I didn't want to leave. Unfortunately I didn't make it to Mitsubishi Motors due to the whole language barrier thing but maybe next time
sweet pictures, would love to visit there

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet