Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If Mike ever gets out of the Evo game, I think you'd see more than a few Evos' going up for sale in the Pittsburgh area.....including mine.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by goforwand
If Mike ever gets out of the Evo game, I think you'd see more than a few Evos' going up for sale in the Pittsburgh area.....including mine.
if mike ever gets out of the evo game, i am kidnapping him and chaining him in my garage so i can keep the evo in tip top shape.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^

No kidding. Then you can pimp out his services.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the offer, Buchnerj, but i'm going to just stick it out until Monday. I talked to super service guy Robert again today and he told me they were trying to tow my car into the garage. Robert told me that genius trying to get my car into the service garage was "having trouble and starting to get angry. I'm worried that the bumper is going to come off." I just started picturing some guy with a helmet trying to get a square block into a round hole. I told Robert in the sincerest voice possible to not worry about it and I'll just wait until Mike gets back.

Robert's voice expressed such a sigh of relief that it was as if I just told him that the illegitimate child he had been fostering for the past 3 days wasn't his after all. Holy hell. So, back to waiting.

I know this may not seem like the time to upgrade, but I can't help it. Quick thought: should I get a Whiteline 26mm sway bar installed while I'm at it? Are front sway bars worth the money? I'd really like to get rid of any remaining body roll...
Old Feb 3, 2010, 08:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Canexican
Thanks for the explanation. I will probably end up going that route...I've never had any lockout with my ACT.

UPDATE on my NIGHTMARE: So, my car has now been at Baierl for a full two days and they have basically refused to even go near it without Mike being there. It is really starting to **** me off. I've talked to the same service guy three times now explaining what I would like him to do for me and he acts like I'm asking him to walk on water. All I want them to do is drain the fluid from the transmission and drain the fluid from the transfer case. Take a look at the respective oils and tell me if and where they see metal shavings and or significant oil discoloration.

Apparently, the reasoning behind why it is so difficult to look at is because they are not certified Evo technicians. So, I keep calling and Robert (the service guy I have to deal with) seems to agree with me that this probably isn't a difficult concept regardless of the platform, yet it doesn't get done. Twice I have been told "it is too complicated" and then followed by, "well, yeah, I guess that makes sense. We should probably just drain the fluid and see what we see." So far, I've been told twice that it would be done by 5:00 and then I don't get a phone call back. Its like every freakin' person at that dealership is completely incompetent and Robert seems to have amnesia. If Mike wasn't there, the majority of the Evo's in this community would be screwed.

So, I still don't have any official determination on what exactly I should replace. I'm still going with transmission over transfer-case due to how the shift knob would move back and forth under any throttle application. Its just that the whining from the transmission is apparently not commonly associated with a failing transmission, but it is with a transfer case.

I'm about ready to go down there, jack up the car, and drain the fluids myself.
Sucks all your problems man, might want to try a different route. Mike is an excellent mechanic, but I am still unsure why everyone runs straight to the dealer for everything. There are a few shops in the area who are really good with evos and are obviously like everyone else looking for work.

Best of luck, hopefully you get it all straightened out
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Ya i don't think you would have to drop your Evo due to one fine mechanic gettin out the game. Ummm I know of another shop not too far away that I would put their skills up against anyones soo....
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:28 AM
Evolved Member

I know dealerships suck in general, but I never had any issues with Baierl prior to this. Rich, the previous service manager (no longer there), was great. And most everyone there seemingly knew their job and were willing to help. Everything went downhill apparently since they merged shops with Subaru. They act like working on an Evo is of similar complexity to fixing a space shuttle. I'm really missing that old dealership and the people that worked there...especially sucks not being able to bull**** with Mike anymore while he fixes my car. I get to sit with all the auto-ignorant Legacy and Outback drivers while drinking the worlds worst cup of coffee in the waiting area .
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

^^

Couldn't agree more. Good thing is Mike has come out of the lair and spoke to me personally in the waiting room. I bet none of the other techs do that. You could have hired the A Team to kidnap Mike from his vacation.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Canexican
I know dealerships suck in general, but I never had any issues with Baierl prior to this. Rich, the previous service manager (no longer there), was great. And most everyone there seemingly knew their job and were willing to help. Everything went downhill apparently since they merged shops with Subaru. They act like working on an Evo is of similar complexity to fixing a space shuttle. I'm really missing that old dealership and the people that worked there...especially sucks not being able to bull**** with Mike anymore while he fixes my car. I get to sit with all the auto-ignorant Legacy and Outback drivers while drinking the worlds worst cup of coffee in the waiting area .

+1 to that.

The previous Bariel set up was good. Rich was easy to work with and even some of the other techs could some basic Evo work.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steelcityevo8
Ya i don't think you would have to drop your Evo due to one fine mechanic gettin out the game. Ummm I know of another shop not too far away that I would put their skills up against anyones soo....

Where would that be?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

+1 to that.

The previous Bariel set up was good. Rich was easy to work with and even some of the other techs could some basic Evo work.
it's a simple case of CYA man.

imagine if they have a non certified person wrench on the evo and something goes wrong. the owner calls mitsu and starts yelling. mitsu checks and sees the person who did the work wasn't certified to. then it's much easier to pin the problem on them. hell, you could even argue the original problem was exacerbated due to a person without the proper knowledge working on your ride.

also, if that happened guaranteed there would be a slough of posts about "i can't believe they let this un-certified idiot wrench on my car, what jerks!".

they're just following the rules. can't fault them for that.

now to the people saying "i don't see why everyone rushes to baierl, there are others out there". of course there are others out there, but a few things come in to play here. i have NEVER had an issue with any of mike's work (except that one time he didn't give me my happy ending ). he knows what he is doing, he is honest, and always takes due diligence to make sure you car gets done right and as quickly as possible.

why mess with that?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

also remember, this is coming from a person who has had in depth experience with a shop that came with rave reviews and turned out to be crap (emage performance in washington pa).

that was an absolute nightmare, then when i confronted them about their shoddy work and problems they caused on my car i got the old "oh it wasn't us". then they threatened to SUE ME FOR LIBEL when i posted about it on the board to warn other owners of how awful a shop they were. with a dealer, you get good recourse should a dispute ever arise and documentation of how the original problem was resolved.

i will never trust my car to anyone else unless i absolutely have to.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
it's a simple case of CYA man.
Yup, totally agree.

I think the thing with the previous set up was that it felt more like your "local garage" where you trusted the folks behind the desk and less like a typical "dealership" take-a-number, look through the glass, type experience.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
(except that one time he didn't give me my happy ending ).
Mike is going to come back her on Monday/Tuesday and ask how the hell we all turned his attention to him in here. He leaves for a week and all hell breaks loose on the Evo community of the Greater Pittsburgh area.

Should make for an interesting read on his part.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Yup, totally agree.

I think the thing with the previous set up was that it felt more like your "local garage" where you trusted the folks behind the desk and less like a typical "dealership" take-a-number, look through the glass, type experience.

oh absolutely, and i loved it.

"here's a glove. stick your finger in that hole so all the fluid doesn't leak out while i am changing this crush washer"

it was cool getting to wander around the shop talking to him and occasionally lending a hand while he was working on your car. made you feel like a V.I.P because i would roam the mitsu dealer at will.

i came in the one day after leaving work early to get some work done, but had to be on a conference call. so i just seized myself an office, set up my laptop and phone, and got to work. got some strange looks from most of the sales staff, but F it, i had been coming there long before most of them had been selling cars there.

good times.

although i will say, the pretzels, brownies, and other various munchies at subie are nice. but it just doesn't feel like home.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet