Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:15 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsmaster
Exemptions

If the car is driven under 5000 miles a year, it can have a check engine light on , no cat...no exhaust... etc , it still passes as a exempt car... I only know one guy that has an evo but hardly drives it ...
I thought it still had to pass visual?
Old Jan 4, 2008, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dan l
I thought it still had to pass visual?
Nope, under 5k you get a nice little exempt sticker. At least one of our cars gets one each year.

Ditto our diesel powered friends. Also if your car was factory rated at over 6000lbs GVW then you don't need emissions. There was a NICE tax break for 6k lb + vehicles for year too.

For those interested road race engineering makes a "rally cat" that should provide the flow characteristics you are looking for while still passing the visual tests.

Last edited by Evol.ved; Jan 4, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

mine has one of those nice exempt stickers. The problem there is you really don't drive your car all that much then.
Old Jan 4, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
mine has one of those nice exempt stickers. The problem there is you really don't drive your car all that much then.

+1 , just driven really F'n hard !!!
Old Jan 4, 2008, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by mitsmaster
Exemptions

If the car is driven under 5000 miles a year, it can have a check engine light on , no cat...no exhaust... etc , it still passes as a exempt car... I only know one guy that has an evo but hardly drives it ...
I'm going to have to try and take a guess on who this guy could be.............. oh wait, it's me!

I wish I had more time to play!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Yes Mike we knew who he was talking about. You may be the only 03 in the country with under 5000 miles on the car!
Old Jan 5, 2008, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
Yes Mike we knew who he was talking about. You may be the only 03 in the country with under 5000 miles on the car!
Hahaha! Sorry I have 15000 on mine! I'm graduate in May and that number should go up dramatically!

Last edited by Jabba08; Jan 5, 2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 11:26 AM
Account Disabled

I've been emissions exempt for the past two visits to the inspection station but they still did a visual on the car. My car is not OBD2 compliant so they can't scan it even if they wanted (but I also have no CEL anyways). I was just confused as to why I have to pass a visual and get my gas cap checked, tires, suspension, etc....
Old Jan 5, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

I've been emissions exempt for the past two visits to the inspection station but they still did a visual on the car. My car is not OBD2 compliant so they can't scan it even if they wanted (but I also have no CEL anyways). I was just confused as to why I have to pass a visual and get my gas cap checked, tires, suspension, etc....
I never liked inspections until I spent some serious time driving around Ohio where they have(had?) no safety or emissions inspections.

The unsafe **** boxes that remained on the road there would boggle the mind.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

When my car was registered in Huntington County I was emissions exempt but still had to have a visual and gas cap test....ghey.
Old Jan 5, 2008, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evol.ved
I never liked inspections until I spent some serious time driving around Ohio where they have(had?) no safety or emissions inspections.

The unsafe **** boxes that remained on the road there would boggle the mind.

yeah, if it rolls they will let you drive it.

i have seen some scary crappy cars driving around there. always makes nervous because most of them look like they could spontaneously combust at any moment. haha.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

^--- that's all i have to say about last night.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:03 PM

so how about thursday at work we get a call from one of our customers in texas and said their motor died and they needed another one right away and needed it by the next day so only way that would ever happen is if we delivered it ourselves so thats what went down...me and another guy from work ordered the 8000lb motor and rented a 30ft Penske flatbed truck so we drove up to Indiana,Pa to pick it up and drove straight to Texas and it took us about 29 hours to get there nonstop and took our time to get back home so we finally made it back sunday night...me and the other guy did the math and itll be roughly 2 months regular pay for each of us so ill finally buy some new toys for the evo
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Posey075
so how about thursday at work we get a call from one of our customers in texas and said their motor died and they needed another one right away and needed it by the next day so only way that would ever happen is if we delivered it ourselves so thats what went down...me and another guy from work ordered the 8000lb motor and rented a 30ft Penske flatbed truck so we drove up to Indiana,Pa to pick it up and drove straight to Texas and it took us about 29 hours to get there nonstop and took our time to get back home so we finally made it back sunday night...me and the other guy did the math and itll be roughly 2 months regular pay for each of us so ill finally buy some new toys for the evo
what has an 8k lb motor?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wait a second.. i dont think the fine for not having a cat is $5,000, but the fine for the inspector is $5,000. The guy I go to always tells me if i get caught make sure i tell them them I changed it since inspection.

Anyways, happy new year to all... I got my wheels on and the car looks way better. Also got the downpipe and test pipe ordered.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet