Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just got shut down on the peeling caliper and wing by baeirl..oh well was worth a shot
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by xsolowx
just got shut down on the peeling caliper and wing by baeirl..oh well was worth a shot
What reason did they give you?
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

He said the 03 only had a 3 year 36,000 warranty. He said maybe if i was the original owner they might have taken care of it..
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

He said the 03 only had a 3 year 36,000 warranty. He said maybe if i was the original owner they might have taken care of it..
Or if you would have given them a lot of business in the past they probably would have as well....

You could have the wing re-finished, someone on the board charges $150.00 I think? supposedly they are pretty good.....and the calipers can be painted, there is some good info in the "how-to" section.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

The second owner I though received the balance of the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty? The powertrain warranty is what changes for second owners, isn't it?

Anyhow, I already got my calipers replaced at Biondi. Now needing to go in for the wing. I need to do it soon, I think my bumper to bumper warranty ends Feb 14th. The district guy already knows me and told me I take very good care of my car. That's how I scored the Brembo's. And the fact that they were hideous looking.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

They just called back and said the district guy needs to look at it next week...he said not to get my hopes up though
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

They just called back and said the district guy needs to look at it next week...he said not to get my hopes up though
I know it's tough, but wash your car and try to keep it really clean for the district guy. He likes it when guys take care of their cars. Just be straight up with him and don't try to hide any mods or anything. Don't tell them you ever bled the brakes. I didn't have to lie about that one. Vacuum the interior really well. It's worth a try. The district guy is easier than the service manager at Biondi.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

One last thing... A TSB is out from Mitsubishi stating that brake fluid is the cause of the calipers peeling. Total BS IMO. You know that's what they'll bring up.

With Mike in your corner though, I'm sure he'll try to help you out. He seems like a great guy.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
One last thing... A TSB is out from Mitsubishi stating that brake fluid is the cause of the calipers peeling. Total BS IMO. You know that's what they'll bring up.

With Mike in your corner though, I'm sure he'll try to help you out. He seems like a great guy.
I agree

Although that could be part of the issue but it still reflects on poor finish qualities of the caliper, what other calipers on higher end car have that issue when bleeding the brakes? It all comes down to how cheap mitsu is on there finishes - our paint has to be the worst paint ever on a 30k+ car. (Well I guess Brembo is to blame, but im sure mitsu said use the cheaper clear coat, hopefully it works!)

I hope they take care of it...its not like your the only one - its a known problem whether under warranty or not, it should be a recall by mitsu. But we all now how cheap they are

Unfortunately your at the mercy of the district guy......hopefully he is in a good mood that day!
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:14 PM
Account Disabled

The mitsu paint is nothing to brag about that is for sure. The good thing is alumiumn doesen't rust as bad as steel. The bad, I found surface rust on the lips of my rear wheel wells.

Travis mitsu doesen't paint our calipers. Brembo does. It is a finished piece when mitsu gets them. Brake fluid ruins paint and clear coats. The quality of paint has nothing to do with the fact that it ruins the paint. Some paints hold up better than others but brake fluid is basically acid to paint.

The fact that mitsu doesen't paint the car before putting on the bumpers pisses me off. Its also gay that they won't warranty that safety defect when your bumper falls off.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
Travis mitsu doesen't paint our calipers. Brembo does. It is a finished piece when mitsu gets them. Brake fluid ruins paint and clear coats. The quality of paint has nothing to do with the fact that it ruins the paint. Some paints hold up better than others but brake fluid is basically acid to paint.
I know....but the point i was saying is that you don't see to many other higher priced cars with brembos have this issue. So far the IX's don't seem to have an issue which means they did something to correct this problem. There was probably more of a defect from the manufacturer than brake fluid directly causing the problem.

You dont see to many 03-04's without this problem....and 05 seems to be hit and miss and not many cases at all on the 06's.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 03:47 PM
Evolving Member

yeah we will see how it goes next week. I guess i will have to clean it this weekend. On a happier note....I got my Exhaust today....now i just have to put it on...
Old Jan 24, 2008, 05:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine is an 06 with only 5300 miles on it and my passenger rear caliper was peeling around the bleed valve. I scored a look at the warranty claim when i picked the car up tonight and just for the one caliper itself was $1375 Dont know if that includes labor.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Mine is an 06 with only 5300 miles on it and my passenger rear caliper was peeling around the bleed valve. I scored a look at the warranty claim when i picked the car up tonight and just for the one caliper itself was $1375 Dont know if that includes labor.
Not sure if i can brag about this, but i have almost 52,000 miles on and 03 no caliper problems yet. Also i have not changed my rotors yet, that is next on the to do list. The steering wheel is getting a bit shaky at higher speeds lol.

Steve
Old Jan 25, 2008, 05:30 AM
Evolving Member

I want to be prepared when i go to see the district guy, so I sent Brembo an Email to see what info I could get out of them. I was suprised that the guy replied within 15 minutes of me sending the email. So this weekend I have to get some good pictures to send to him.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet