Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bvdawg13
ya i agree, i want a custom tune by him as well....we just need some more guys to go.....someone has to want a jester tune!
I am up for a Jestr tune....or CBRD? I just would like to get some dyno time to see where I am at so far...

....and get rid of this dammmm snow ....
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine have grease in them, and I even sprayed some PB Blaster down in there and packed them with grease. Next step is the dealer, if they won't fix it under warranty, I'll do it myself when spring rolls around. Hell, the car only has 16k mi. on it adn its an '05.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:05 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...em330210970064

anyone know anything about this car?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gt420hp
I am up for a Jestr tune....or CBRD? I just would like to get some dyno time to see where I am at so far...

....and get rid of this dammmm snow ....
Sweet well that would make 4 of us....anyone else?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:20 PM

I would def. love a custom Jestr tune...count me in
Old Feb 13, 2008, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by V8Hunter
I would def. love a custom Jestr tune...count me in
Would you be interested in a Chad Block tune aka CBRD tune?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 09:55 PM

To be honest, I would prefer a Jestr tune.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
90% of the time this "clunk" or "thud" noise is the strut mount bearing.

i had a hell of a time narrowing it down. i was dealing with south park mitsu at the time, who i do not like one bit.

i had the car in to them at least a dozen times and they couldn't figure it out. luckily about a year and a half ago some of us local owners met up with a guy from MMNA. he had a fiance in pittsburgh and wanted to stop out and show us the new IX and collect some opinions on what the X should be like while he was visiting with her parents.

well long story short, he ended up seeing my post about the problem, and being the good natured guy that he was, asked the suspension developer for the USDM evo about it. the guy said the only thing he could really think of was that bearing.

sure enough, i go back to south park and tell them to change that part, they did, and what do you know, no more problem.

apperently when they inspected the bearing assembly after removal they noticed that most if not all of the grease had worked it's way out of the assembly, thus causing the spring to bind.

so whenever this kind of noise crops up for people, i always suggest they check this first, because it is an easy thing to look into, and a cheap part to fix. like travis said, a bunch of us have had this problem, and it always seems to come back to that bearing. i believe EvoDan also had the exact same issue.

i always like when i can help people with this, because it is one of the few things on the evo that i have a very good understanding of, and lots of personal experience with.

it is a tricky noise to diagnose too, at first i thought the noise was coming from the rear of the car, because of the way it was echoing around. but after a couple months of driving around with it, it started to progressively get worse, and was easily identifiable as coming from the front end.

mine always happened when i was turning at low speed with the wheel at or near full lock, but i have seen cases of people getting it when going in a straight line or turning at higher speeds.
Yeah that sound sometimes feels like its coming through the floor board on my 04.......it was on the passenger side of the 04 and it sounded like something was hitting the floor board but the I realized that pop is a spring sound. So I had emailed MMNA as well to try and get some help before I went to the dealer...

I was told the same thing about the bearing.....tried to tell baierl while they had it and since it wouldn't make the noise for them they said we cant just replace parts without reason (which I guess me telling them what MMNA said and what I heard didn't mean anything). So I left and traded the car due to other issues, but it never made that noise again. Kind of weird up until the day I took it to the dealer it was non-stop and then it disappeared and they didn't repair anything......

My 06 has done it twice and i knew right away what it was but both times it did it was really cold and it hasn't done it since so I am just holding off till it gets warmer....thinking the cold might have had something to do with it happening.

Last edited by travman; Feb 14, 2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:46 AM
Evolving Member

I have heard the same or at least similar noise but only on the coldest of mornings.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah mine does it mostly if i am backing out somewhere and turning the wheel all of the way..and even then it happens randomly but it is the popping noise.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:41 AM

im still thinkin about the jestr tune but you guys can probably count me in for it too...i sent a pm about a month ago to jestr and heres the reply i got...

Originally Posted by JestrTuning
Originally Posted by Posey075
Do you have any plans of attending any events or have any plans of a dyno day or etc. close to Pittsburgh this year?

-Jason
Yes, when CBRD's car is done, I'll be going up there to tune some cars.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Posey075
im still thinkin about the jestr tune but you guys can probably count me in for it too...i sent a pm about a month ago to jestr and heres the reply i got...
I'll PM Chad and try to coordinate a date!
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:01 AM
Evolved Member

OK can someone Pm me the details of this jester/cbrd tune day. I.e. costs and what is included in this cost, dates, dyno time? etc etc .

I will be interested
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Mike01gsr
I'll PM Chad and try to coordinate a date!
alright sounds good let me know whats goin on...thanks mike
Old Feb 14, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

****in sweet! jester tune!....when is chads car gonna be done?

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet