Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good idea Eric LOL!

Yeah Steve - Honestly, it's not completely ridiculous when you do a search on Autotrader.com...most of the 98-99's are that price, but for what I want to do it's just not gonna happen! If I wanted to stay stock or close to it, I'd probably go talk to them to see if they would deal.

Hell, I saw a 98 with like 45K miles and they want like $16K!! I knew the cars were sought after, but daaaaaaamn!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dennyt4
Good idea Eric LOL!

Yeah Steve - Honestly, it's not completely ridiculous when you do a search on Autotrader.com...most of the 98-99's are that price, but for what I want to do it's just not gonna happen! If I wanted to stay stock or close to it, I'd probably go talk to them to see if they would deal.

Hell, I saw a 98 with like 45K miles and they want like $16K!! I knew the cars were sought after, but daaaaaaamn!

Yeah, either way the prices are fairly high.

I was just browsing and this came up... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...em120224466177

Steve
GnV Motorsports
Old Feb 20, 2008, 06:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by xsolowx
ok so i need ideas...got the injen intake and IC piping all installed. Started up to test and now I have black smoke coming from the exhaust I thought it had been running a bit funny since I got the exhaust on it, so we looked at that and the secondary O2 sensor was not even in the pipe. They had it taped to the floor of the car because the sensor wouldnt clear the floor of the car with the mechanical O2 fix in there. Do you think this would cause the smoke?
ok so i am guessing now it is related to the intake /ic piping install it idles but stalls as soon as you step on the gas
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:17 PM
Evolved Member

ok so i am guessing now it is related to the intake /ic piping install it idles but stalls as soon as you step on the gas
The second O2 sensor would throw a code immediate if not in exhaust stream of some sort , and the ecu would think that the car is running hella lean and attempt to put in fuel to correct the problem , hence the black smoke. It could be stalling from far too much fuel when throttle gets tipped into. and or your plugs could be fouled tremendously from the rich condition.

Also among installing the new intake and piping you could have a massive leak in the piping , and a possible connection problem with the maf sensor creating it to run horribly and stalling . just a few ideas
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steelcityevo8
The second O2 sensor would throw a code immediate if not in exhaust stream of some sort , and the ecu would think that the car is running hella lean and attempt to put in fuel to correct the problem , hence the black smoke. It could be stalling from far too much fuel when throttle gets tipped into. and or your plugs could be fouled tremendously from the rich condition.

Also among installing the new intake and piping you could have a massive leak in the piping , and a possible connection problem with the maf sensor creating it to run horribly and stalling . just a few ideas
It takes a while before the light comes on. I think it is related to something on the intak.IC piping..it will not run at all as soon as i step on the gas it dies out and stalls.it didnt do this before eve with the o2 sensor the way it was.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dennyt4
Good idea Eric LOL!

Denny, you're crazy man

What are you keeping for your nice(r) ride? The SRT8 or... BTW, I had one for about three weeks but the gas trips weren't to friendly everyday ...and yours sounded awesome that day you passed the dealership..which exhaust was that?!
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:41 PM
Evolving Member

ok found the problem...coupler between the uip and lower icp doesnt seem to be big enough to get a good connection. retightened it all, and fixed the problem of it not running.but still having issue of stalling when idle drops same as before i changed all of this
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

if it is puffing black smoke, it is most likely running very rich like dan said.

when do you get the smoke? does it do it while it idles? or does it puff before it stalls when you step on gas?
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
if it is puffing black smoke, it is most likely running very rich like dan said.

when do you get the smoke? does it do it while it idles? or does it puff before it stalls when you step on gas?
Fixed the smoke part..but still having same issue with idle dropping when i push the clutch in or even give the car some gas idle drops too far and wants to stall. sometimes it catches itself and bumps back up and sometimes it doesnt.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

when you push in the clutch... that is strange.

i will readily admit my knowledge the engines and their tuning is limited, but i would say start by checking the spark plugs and double checking vacum lines and ic piping.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Fixed the smoke part..but still having same issue with idle dropping when i push the clutch in or even give the car some gas idle drops too far and wants to stall. sometimes it catches itself and bumps back up and sometimes it doesnt.

Did you put the o2 in? If not...... more than likely you didnt fix the problem. The Ic coupler wouldnt have made it smoke the way it did when I was there.......I knew it had something to do with your sensor. I believe I will have to agree, fix that o2 and you have your fix, that is what I was thinking the whole time, remember when I said you may need to replace it?

Go to advance auto and look for the "spark plug non-fouler" part. It is like 5 bucks and hella shorter than the one you have........sell the one you have. If you need help with it, I can come over again. I like your car, its prettier than mine HHAHA

SJ
Old Feb 20, 2008, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

hey guys, i know it is a bit early to think about, but i wanted to put this out there. there are two very important (to me) autocrosses coming up this season.

i went to the meeting for the NHSCC (Http://www.nhscc.com) tonight, and asked for their approval to do a food drive at one of the racing events this season. my grandma volunteers for St. Paul of the Cross Monastary location of the Greater Pittsburgh Area Foodbank. from what she has told me, food donations have been slow this year, and they have been getting more and more people.

being the generous organization that they are, the NHSCC has given me approval to collect non perishable food items at one of their events this year.

it will be the May 4th autocross in North Park.

it's a great chance to get out and race and to help those less fortunate. as an incentive, i will be paying the registration fee for the person that brings the most non perishable food items.

in addition to that, on May 18th there will be an autocross in North Park to benifit Huntington's Disease. there is a website for it, and i will post the link when i find it.

i know it is a long way off, but it is something to think about, and i am very excited to help out those in need.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 04:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OurLancerEVOs
Denny, you're crazy man

What are you keeping for your nice(r) ride? The SRT8 or... BTW, I had one for about three weeks but the gas trips weren't to friendly everyday ...and yours sounded awesome that day you passed the dealership..which exhaust was that?!
Oh tell me about it! That's why I don't daily drive the Jeep any more - the wife does. In fact, I seem to have lost it to her! She now has claimed it as her own since she works 5 miles from home. I am stuck driving her Audi to work every day and I am BORED AS ****!

It has the Corsa exhaust on it - thanks! It was thiiiiiiiiiis close to being traded, but she *****ed enough that she wanted it so we're keeping it. The Audi lease is up next year so I'm going to drive it and spend that time building a 2nd Gen (if I can find one) and then try to save for a damn GTR.

Justin - count me in for the 4th as long as they will let me auto-x the Jeep. From what I understand, they've let people run the Cayanne (which is a step down from the Jeep ) so I would think they will let me run it. If you could find out I'd appreciate it.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 04:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thegame

"See you at the party, Richter!"
Get your *** to mars.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkyz
Did you put the o2 in? If not...... more than likely you didnt fix the problem. The Ic coupler wouldnt have made it smoke the way it did when I was there.......I knew it had something to do with your sensor. I believe I will have to agree, fix that o2 and you have your fix, that is what I was thinking the whole time, remember when I said you may need to replace it?

Go to advance auto and look for the "spark plug non-fouler" part. It is like 5 bucks and hella shorter than the one you have........sell the one you have. If you need help with it, I can come over again. I like your car, its prettier than mine HHAHA

SJ
The smoking and rough idling was from the bad connection between the upper and lower IC pipe(remember where I said I didnt like the way it was going together) I took it all apart again and retightened everything and it ran fine . Even took it for a ride around the block. Now I am just having the same issue as before will the stalling when the idle drops. Same as with the K&N prior to the rear O2 not being connected.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet