Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Canexican
Considering that all i've been thinking about is AutoX and my wicked sunburn, I will probably try gettin out there for Cans and Cars. I've been scanning over the SCCA AutoX rule book for the past hour figuring out what I can put on and what I can't. All I know is, I DON'T want to be running against R compound guys like I was yesterday - stupid lack of catalytic converter...it looks like there is no way around it.
Thats why you go out and just have fun - I run with those guys on all-seasons at North Park but I sure have a blast whipping the car around.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Considering that all i've been thinking about is AutoX and my wicked sunburn, I will probably try gettin out there for Cans and Cars. I've been scanning over the SCCA AutoX rule book for the past hour figuring out what I can put on and what I can't. All I know is, I DON'T want to be running against R compound guys like I was yesterday - stupid lack of catalytic converter...it looks like there is no way around it.
Plus the clutch. You can't upgrade the clutch in Stock classes. SO you can't run STU without a cat huh? You can run the Street tire index class also then at steel city events if your on St tires. Colin followed my advice and did very well.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
Plus the clutch. You can't upgrade the clutch in Stock classes. SO you can't run STU without a cat huh? You can run the Street tire index class also then at steel city events if your on St tires. Colin followed my advice and did very well.
how are they really gonna know if you dont have a stock clutch, besides mayyybe driving it? or is lying like punishable by death r something
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
bring the rental out if you don't have your car back by then.
Guaranteed I will be there with or without a rental - couple more hrs and I get to see what new hot rod I get!

I would think I will have my car back by the end of the week......but then again I didn't think I would be taking it back?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Oki Panoki
how are they really gonna know if you dont have a stock clutch, besides mayyybe driving it? or is lying like punishable by death r something
as with all of the rules for autocross it operates 80% of the time on the honor system.

the other 20% would be if someone challenges your car. then you can lose your points, wins, and be flogged with a cat-o-nine tails 15 times.

i try to adhere to the rules because it is just good form. even if alot of the rules for classing do not make sense.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jerdeitzel
I don't see how they would know if you upgraded the clutch...unless you've got a Tilton twin-disc that is chattering like crazy at idle. I also don't know how they would be able to tell if you had a cat on there that was gutted...not that i'd ever do that .

Travman, I see what your saying. Don't get me wrong, I had a freakin' blast out there. Even on my slower run of the day, I went completely sideways twice and it took every ounce of driving ability I had to keep the car from spinning like a top - that was probably the most fun I had. But, the fact remains that I'm still competitive and some relative competition would be cool. It would be nice to see my name somewhere near the top of the board rather than the bottom, thats all .
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolving Member

I don't see how they would know if you upgraded the clutch...unless you've got a Tilton twin-disc that is chattering like crazy at idle. I also don't know how they would be able to tell if you had a cat on there that was gutted...not that i'd ever do that .

Travman, I see what your saying. Don't get me wrong, I had a freakin' blast out there. Even on my slower run of the day, I went completely sideways twice and it took every ounce of driving ability I had to keep the car from spinning like a top - that was probably the most fun I had. But, the fact remains that I'm still competitive and some relative competition would be cool. It would be nice to see my name somewhere near the top of the board rather than the bottom, thats all .
I just compare myself to the other EVO's. I'm still slow but as long as I get close to people I know have very similar setup.

Unless SCCA makes a class called DDEVO Dialy Driven EVO class I think I am fuxxored.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

it looks like clutch modification is ok for BSP, but not for any of the street tire classes.

from the scca rulebook:

"Any metal clutch assembly, metal flywheel or metal torque converter that uses the standard attatchment to the crankshaft may be used. Non-metallic friction surfaces (e.g. clutch disks) are permitted."
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

I was going to do a 100cell race cat for stu but read the scca rule book and it still wouldn't be considered legal unless I run a 50 state legal replacement cat or the stocker and I am not about making my car slower for the other enjoyments I get out of it - so I am just staying in street mod and get my butt whooped.

Someday I will get some tires - maybe even R-compounds
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

don't forget, you can take the back seats out in SM too!!!
Old Apr 28, 2008, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Hey guys, I'm not sure with my current financial situation that I'll absolutely need my BS Potenza Re01's. I'm sure with everyone autoXing that someone probably needs a set. Stock size, brand new, never mounted. I also might have an extra set of VIII stock wheels too if you want the whole deal. Just send me a PM if interested. Just trying to get an idea. Brand new from Tirerack would cost you $850.00 w/ shipping.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
Hey guys, I'm not sure with my current financial situation that I'll absolutely need my BS Potenza Re01's. I'm sure with everyone autoXing that someone probably needs a set. Stock size, brand new, never mounted. I also might have an extra set of VIII stock wheels too if you want the whole deal. Just send me a PM if interested. Just trying to get an idea. Brand new from Tirerack would cost you $850.00 w/ shipping.

hrm, if i wasn't strapped myself, i would definitely pick those up.

my advans on the car now are completely beat, but unfortunately the funds aren't there, unless you take .net coding as payment.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
hrm, if i wasn't strapped myself, i would definitely pick those up.

my advans on the car now are completely beat, but unfortunately the funds aren't there, unless you take .net coding as payment.
Damn count me in the financial situation group as well, I want them bad but my checkbook says no.........
Old Apr 28, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

I hear you guys... They'll probably be sitting in the basement for a little bit longer until I find the time to get them mounted.

One other question... My GF has to buy a new car. Her price range isn't over $20,000 right now and we went looking at a lot of cars. She likes the Mazda 3, the Scion TC, and I like the Imprezza 2.5. Any other good cars in that range that are extremely reliable?
Old Apr 28, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
I hear you guys... They'll probably be sitting in the basement for a little bit longer until I find the time to get them mounted.

One other question... My GF has to buy a new car. Her price range isn't over $20,000 right now and we went looking at a lot of cars. She likes the Mazda 3, the Scion TC, and I like the Imprezza 2.5. Any other good cars in that range that are extremely reliable?
Toyota Matrix.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet