Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2008, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spumoni1984
man that was a fun time- even more so when you stay on the track! congrats to dan, taking home a fine piece of hardware for the mantle. new pads and tires in the very near future for this guy.
Wow Colin, a 1:10.4!? Thats really freakin' fast in a bone stock evo. Very impressive man .

Yeah Justin, you ran faster than me in the morning by .005 seconds. I found some better lines when working on the track and that helped me drop my time by a second in the afternoon. I think i'm gonna have to run with Colin next time to see what the hell he is doing (I think I still have a little bit of over-driving tendancies)...it doesn't get much better than that in a stock Evo .

I'll try to get my pictures posted up tonight or tomorrow .
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
there are some pictures up

http://www.autoxphotos.com/gallery.asp?categoryid=395

http://www.autoxphotos.com/gallery.asp?categoryid=393

http://www.racepa.com/content/index.php?topic=6094

Last edited by MondoBongo; Jun 16, 2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Canexican
Wow Colin, a 1:10.4!? Thats really freakin' fast in a bone stock evo. Very impressive man . .
not bone stock, i've changed the oil a couple of times . there are some nice pictures of all of us on the back half of the course. whoever took it had a nice moving shot, got the cars perfect and just blurred the background (makes us look REALLY fast)
Old Jun 16, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Any idea when the next TT is!? I need a time frame for my inevitable coilover purchase .
yep, august. pre-regitration has already started. almost 1/5 of the field there were evo's. it'd be really cool if we can get more out there in august (maybe even a few of you X guy's)
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xsolowx
Yeah i think i spotted it at eggs n'at in moon twp yesterday morning. It also had a brand new looking license plate frame from baeirl, so i kinda figured that was it...
Moon Township is kind of far from me so at least I won't be seeing him around I don't think. I'm curious as to how the car feels at this point. I'm sure Mike did a good job getting it back together, but there were a few questionables.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

One other thing I'd like to inform everyone of. Do not beleive Carfax as your 100% absolute car history source. I don't want to say anything specific, but major things you'd think should be on the report might not be. I have evidence to support this claim.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thegame
One other thing I'd like to inform everyone of. Do not beleive Carfax as your 100% absolute car history source. I don't want to say anything specific, but major things you'd think should be on the report might not be. I have evidence to support this claim.
Carfax goes by insurance claims. It will not show anything that was not reported to the insurance company.

On the racing note: i'm already counting down the days 'till August 10th!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Thegame
haha car fax is a joke. Jake with the red cobra from PT bought it about 3 years ago with a complete front end needed. car hit a tree or something at like 50 mph. guy sold it to him as is without turning it into the insurance, and the title is as clear as a new car there are A LOT of people that get away with taht crap
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

ok, so now that i have had some rest, and a bti of time to reflect on the event yesterday, i can give me run down.

everything went relatively smoothly, with the exception of people missing flags and taking an extra lap here or there (myself included once).

i'm glad that everyone drove fairly smart the whole day, we didn't have too many offs, and no twisted metal. which is always a plus. i know it can be hard to keep all your wheels on that track sometimes, it's narrow, and there are several spots where it is easy to carry too much speed and over cook a turn. but over all i think everyone did a pretty job.

the times you guys were laying down were nothing short of impressive. even posey pulled some nice times on all seasons! i gotta give it up to dan for driving like a man possessed and getting in to the 1:08's. looking at the results dan, you're 12th over all. that's incredible.

i was having trouble keeping my focus all day, and more often than not found myself having problems with my braking zones. for some reason i wasn't judging my distance right, and was braking too soft and for too long. i actually got a little brake fade in the morning session from using them too much.

how were you guys handling the uphill section coming out of the mid-field area? i swear that last year i was able to go full throttle up that, and brake quickly before turn 8 to re-orient the attitude of the car coming in to turn 9. but for some reason i couldn't seem to find line i wanted, and was only able to use about half throttle through that part. over all i a happy with rythm though, i feel i did better than usual on the transitions, and was able to minimize any understeer issues with good speed/angle on corner entries. although i think at many times i was apexing far too early.

the only other section i was really confused a bit by was the little set of switch backs from turn 12 to 13. again, i swear i had a much more straight line through there last year, but even using every inch of green and yellow curbs, i felt like i was turning the wheel too much and not really being able to place myself correctly to enter 13 and on to the front straight.

hopefully by the next outting there i can get a front sway bar, and maybe even some better tires. the sidewalls on the 45 series of the kd's are a bit marshmellowy. they seemed to handle the heat well though. even during the afternoon session i was getting only small amounts of rubber melting off them. last year with my stock yokos i could rub the tread with my fingers and just pull off gobs and gobs of tire. in the afternoon i did a little playing with tire pressure. i started with them right around 40 cold, and i found that i picked up 8psi in each tire after running my first heat.

i also absolutely need to get some new/better brake fluid. i think the OE fluid has given all that it has.

dan, were you still having problems with the brakes over heating in the afternoon session? you didn't set the pads on fire again, did you?

glad to see everyone come out yesterday for sure. i hope you will all be back for the second event on 8/10, and maybe we can even pick up a few new evos to run with us. it would be a great day if we could outnumber the subies by 2:1

well, that's my rundown. colin and dave, you were the new guys. what did you think of the track layout?

also, i have some good news and some bad news about ideas for the next event. there has been talk of increasing the registration fee by $25. which sounds like it sucks, BUT the reason it was brought up, would be that the extra money would go to hire corner workers. so all we would need to do would be show up, and drive.

would you guys be for that? i know it would be worth it for me. working is my least favorite part of the day, and i would be willing to pay a bit more not to have to do it.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

yes, for $25 i will gladly give up my working responsibilites.

as for the uphill section you mentioned. i took that about 9/10 in 2nd. when i got up to the corner, i gave a hard tap on the brakes and a little steering that seemed to help get the car around a lot.

as for the chicane, i took that pretty much flat out too. i would lift a little before entering it, and once again on the exit to set up the front straight.

which brings me to my next point. I AM AN IDIOT. i nailed the exit of the chicane and was able to grab a bit of third gear comming down the front straigt. well, we all know, as i was downshifting 3-2 my foot slipped off the brake and laned on gas. i had a really good scare, as i slid off course and within inches of the tire wall. to all the beginers out there, no matter how many auto X you've done; this is a completly different beast. it is a TON of fun, but there is so much more to take into account. thank you jeremy for not kicking me out, and allowing me to have some real fun the rest of the afternoon!

and a quick question. will steel brake lines (or Ferodo pads for that matter) change your class? i really would like to get this done for the next time in august, but i have a feeling i'll be out of AS.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

look what came today..!!

my custom ETS 4.5" FMIC...

so i dropped off some sweet intercooler pipes, and couplers.. just waiting my triple disk to come in now. over the next couple days. !! then install
Old Jun 16, 2008, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Well guys what a great and long day! Congrats to Dan for winning the cup!
Everytime I seen him it seems like he was posting a lower time! Great driving by
the new guys also! Getting beat by stock Evo's and running .2 tenths slower then
last year even with a good bit more power sucks..lol I was dissappointed in
myself bigtime!! Hey it's a great learning experience though and I hope with
more seat time my times will drop. Great to see Evo's in full force!

Also Justin, I would gladly pay 25 more to not have to work! In the morning when
Dave and I were out working the track (red flagging everything) it seemed like we
were out there for eternity!

Eric that intercooler looks bad ***! Congrats! Getting closer!!
Old Jun 16, 2008, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by MondoBongo

how were you guys handling the uphill section coming out of the mid-field area? i swear that last year i was able to go full throttle up that, and brake quickly before turn 8 to re-orient the attitude of the car coming in to turn 9.

the only other section i was really confused a bit by was the little set of switch backs from turn 12 to 13. again, i swear i had a much more straight line through there last year, but even using every inch of green and yellow curbs, i felt like i was turning the wheel too much and not really being able to place myself correctly to enter 13 and on to the front straight.

i also absolutely need to get some new/better brake fluid. i think the OE fluid has given all that it has.

dan, were you still having problems with the brakes over heating in the afternoon session? you didn't set the pads on fire again, did you?

also, i have some good news and some bad news about ideas for the next event. there has been talk of increasing the registration fee by $25. which sounds like it sucks, BUT the reason it was brought up, would be that the extra money would go to hire corner workers. so all we would need to do would be show up, and drive.

would you guys be for that? i know it would be worth it for me. working is my least favorite part of the day, and i would be willing to pay a bit more not to have to do it.
Justin, I swear last year I could manage full throttle on the uphill section. There was no way that was happening this year. I was part throttle up and like Colin said, a quick tap of the brakes and the car rotated nicely around the upper corner. As far as corners 12 and 13, I felt like I was going straight through them. I had to have been using ALL of the green and yellow curbs. I think maybe I calmed down a little and stopped over using my brakes. They were only smoking after the first set of runs.

Also, I would pay an extra $25 in a minute if it meant not having to work the course. It was way too hot and some of the groups seemed to go on forever. Plus, in the future if they keep switching it up in the afternoon that would avoid the sit/work/run/run/work/sit that some of the guys ended up doing.

Thanks for the congrats guys. I dropped about 4 seconds off of my slowest run of the day, and 2 seconds off my fastest time from the last time trial. But I really did think that someone was going to blast through the course and edge me out. And Colin, with a stock car, you were 3 tenths faster than my best time last year. I think with some brakes and tires, you'll dominate.

Old Jun 16, 2008, 01:28 PM

Oh, and I HAVE to post these ....

Old Jun 16, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Carfax goes by insurance claims. It will not show anything that was not reported to the insurance company.

On the racing note: i'm already counting down the days 'till August 10th!
That's what I thought as well... I found it very funny when it didn't show stuff that was 100% certainly reported to insurance companies. And we're not talking a $500 dent here. We're talking major. The most hilarious part was that in the vehicle service history section it listed an alignment. - The car got aligned by the body shop that repaired the vehicle.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet