Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Thegame
Nothing really they're just a pain in the ***. Awesome units to do routine work on or even troubleshooting. But the ****ing components are impossible to source. Blower motors and condenser fan motors are made specifically and exclusively for AAON so of course you get raped. Nothing comparable from Grainger or RE Michels, or anywhere. (I like that place by the way. ) I've never had trouble finding **** for most York, Carrier, and Trane units. I don't know... $600 for a 3 hp, 480 3-phase, 1725 rpm, belt driven blower motor.

Of course it's no big deal because I'm not buying it, the company is. But I still have to listen to all the BS from the store about it being too hot . Not to mention we're a multi-billion dollar corporation and we're on a nationwide strict spending budget. I need a new job...
Well just to put things into perspective perhaps.

Our top of the line Bryant/ Carrier residential units, Blower motor's on the Evolution line. Are very expensive. They are a direct drive , variable speed motor that is rectified from 120 v.a.c. to d.c., and can deliver different cfm based on multiple parameters all on the fly. Well retail price for just the motor is somewhere around $900 dollars just for the motor,does not include labor.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 05:15 PM

Hey man, ever do any work on AAON RTU's?
i have

Nothing really they're just a pain in the ***. Awesome units to do routine work on or even troubleshooting. But the ****ing components are impossible to source. Blower motors and condenser fan motors are made specifically and exclusively for AAON so of course you get raped. Nothing comparable from Grainger or RE Michels, or anywhere. (I like that place by the way. ) I've never had trouble finding **** for most York, Carrier, and Trane units. I don't know... $600 for a 3 hp, 480 3-phase, 1725 rpm, belt driven blower motor.

Of course it's no big deal because I'm not buying it, the company is. But I still have to listen to all the BS from the store about it being too hot . Not to mention we're a multi-billion dollar corporation and we're on a nationwide strict spending budget. I need a new job...
oem parts are nothing new, just getting more and more normal for the hvac business. one other place might be united electric motors, i think they're in washington, pa now.

and that price isn't that bad for that motor, we got hit for $450 from trane for 1hp single phase cfm for a voyager rtu.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PDLTURBO
i have

oem parts are nothing new, just getting more and more normal for the hvac business. one other place might be united electric motors, i think they're in washington, pa now.

and that price isn't that bad for that motor, we got hit for $450 from trane for 1hp single phase cfm for a voyager rtu.
Yeah, I guess you're right. CFM's for our typical Carrier Weathermaster units tend to run $300-$350.

Looks like there's a few of us on here who do the same work.

I'm no expert, still learning a lot, but getting better each day. I take care of 6 different stores all with different setups. I don't have my recovery certification yet, but I do everything else.

One day I'm working with water cooled recip's... the next day I'm working on a York Screw chiller. (Totally clueless on chillers.)

I have one store with 21 total 20-ton York units. One store with four 90-ton Trane units and one 60-ton unit. Another store with 15 Carrier RTU's. One with a weird *** DX split system and some various RTU's. Ever see a 60 hp motor on an air handler? It's located in it's own room and you can't even open the door when that thing is running! I actually have three that are very similar setups. Then I have one store with water cooled reciprocating compressors and a sectional boiler... It's a different experience each day.

Overall, I do the most with RTU's. Some of that other commercial stuff is crazy.

Know of the best place to get parts for Lennox units? I need a heat exchanger and a damper motor.
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:47 PM

Yeah, I guess you're right. CFM's for our typical Carrier Weathermaster units tend to run $300-$350.

Looks like there's a few of us on here who do the same work.

I'm no expert, still learning a lot, but getting better each day. I take care of 6 different stores all with different setups. I don't have my recovery certification yet, but I do everything else.

One day I'm working with water cooled recip's... the next day I'm working on a York Screw chiller. (Totally clueless on chillers.)

I have one store with 21 total 20-ton York units. One store with four 90-ton Trane units and one 60-ton unit. Another store with 15 Carrier RTU's. One with a weird *** DX split system and some various RTU's. Ever see a 60 hp motor on an air handler? It's located in it's own room and you can't even open the door when that thing is running! I actually have three that are very similar setups. Then I have one store with water cooled reciprocating compressors and a sectional boiler... It's a different experience each day.

Overall, I do the most with RTU's. Some of that other commercial stuff is crazy.

Know of the best place to get parts for Lennox units? I need a heat exchanger and a damper motor.
nice list of equipment there!

i'm a union steamfitter on the service side. i work for the same company everyday. mostly industrial/commercial. schools, hospitals, restaurants, mills, plants, you name it, i fix it!

before the union, i did a lot of residential work, now i just take care of friends on the side for souping up suby

lennox parts is pretty much 1-800-4-lennox. if ya go straight to lennox in cranberry, they will look at you like you're crazy. gotta order through the phone or internet.

doubt i can make the meet tmw, just got car back from bodyshop and spent all night putting it back together. then isht goin on all day tmw.

rough pic from cell

By pdlturbo at 2008-10-17
Old Oct 17, 2008, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

turned out great. now get some day time pictures!!!
Old Oct 17, 2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
turned out great. now get some day time pictures!!!
thanks, hopefully get to give it a good bath tmw. man, did i miss my car.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 05:43 AM
Account Disabled

Does anybody want a carbon fiber bumper exhaust tip cover? I have two, let me know and I'll give them to travis for anybody that wants one. Price is free or gas money for travis. If you feel like paying that's fine, I'll just give the money to the guy who gave them to me.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

Where can I get a set of stock rims powdercoated around here and any idea how much?
Old Oct 18, 2008, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Local Pittsburgh Meet

I put forward a motion that we cancel for tonight. Not a whole lot of interest and the weather sucks.

I won't be out. I've been sick all week.

Saturday October 18, 2008
7pm waterfront behind Lowes AMC Theater
Then latter 8:30ish at Miracle mile shopping plaza.

Old Oct 18, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evol.ved
Where can I get a set of stock rims powdercoated around here and any idea how much?
I know rob still has your old stockers. without tires.

Also there is a place in export that does excellent powder coating.

The only thing is, if you want it to look evenly relatively nice it will cost close to $200.00 per wheel.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
I know rob still has your old stockers. without tires.

Also there is a place in export that does excellent powder coating.

The only thing is, if you want it to look evenly relatively nice it will cost close to $200.00 per wheel.
The place in Export is top notch. They were the ones to fix my AMS pipes. Plus they showed me a set of wheels they powdercoated. The wheels were cheap and the color was kind of hideous, but the quality was great. If there's one little imperfection in the coat, they redo them. And they have hundreds of colors to choose from.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Local Pittsburgh Meet

I put forward a motion that we cancel for tonight. Not a whole lot of interest and the weather sucks.

i second this motion. i'm absolutely worn out, and won't be going tonight either.
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Local Pittsburgh Meet

How about next weekend??? Saturday October 25th?????

Since I am Evo-less I will come to monroeville for sure. For that super hot stock turbo showdown that has been arranged by the major players .
Old Oct 18, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

I think everyone got sick within the past week or so. I thought I was going to choke last weekend my throat was so swollen. I couldn't breathe. And I had it for a good week. Luckily I had some leftover antibiotics from last time so I took them. Avelox FTW!
Old Oct 18, 2008, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steelcityevo8
How about next weekend??? Saturday October 25th?????

Since I am Evo-less I will come to monroeville for sure. For that super hot stock turbo showdown that has been arranged by the major players .

Not that anyone here would participate in such a thing as racing on a highway but if they did its best to do it in a less conspicuous area these days.

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet