Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

local Pittsburgh Meet

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2008, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by travman
There is now a patch for the stock ecu now that simulates the rear O2 signal so you can remove it, keep it in for "visual" inspection or whatever....You will never see a cel, and the ready monitor is always "ready". No more required hacks or anti-foulers.....just a reflash and done.

Second the test for OBD-II that shows O2 sensor is the front (not the rear) the rear is the catalytic converter.
yes trav it works great!!
Old Nov 11, 2008, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MondoBongo
i will rent you mine for $75 plus a refundable $400 deposit.
damn! ill give you the 75 and scrap it

Originally Posted by mitsmaster
Its the tune on your car....Put a stock tune on it drive it for 75 miles , hope the c.e.l
doesnt come on first...Many tuners set the ecu into a constant check mode, which means the computer never reaches readiness for emission...My brother in law has jester m2 on his car and it never reaches readiness.......We have to put the stock tune on it for it to pass obd2 test..........

Trav..............ha ha
thanks ill keep that in mind. No stock ecu laying around though.

Originally Posted by Peteypab2133
+1 get in with a shop, never worry again..
yeah its a little harder when your 19 years old trying to talk someone in for printing you out sticker for another car. People just wont take me seriously

But if anyone is free this week and has a tactrix cable and wants to mess around with my tune i would make the trip out towards you guys. I am used to tuning a UTEC on a subaru and never messed with opensource tuning or evoscan and it would be awesome if somone could show me the basics. I learn pretty quick so i wont waste your time. Maybe we can go ahead and fix my damn boost creep probelms with the MBC. I have a AEM wideband so it shouldnt be to to hard..

Last edited by killthelights14; Nov 11, 2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by killthelights14
damn! ill give you the 75 and scrap it

thanks ill keep that in mind. No stock ecu laying around though.

yeah its a little harder when your 19 years old trying to talk someone in for printing you out sticker for another car. People just wont take me seriously

But if anyone is free this week and has a tactrix cable and wants to mess around with my tune i would make the trip out towards you guys. I am used to tuning a UTEC on a subaru and never messed with opensource tuning or evoscan and it would be awesome if somone could show me the basics. I learn pretty quick so i wont waste your time. Maybe we can go ahead and fix my damn boost creep probelms with the MBC. I have a AEM wideband so it shouldnt be to to hard..
You have a stock ecu - you just need to pull your current rom off the ecu, flash a stock rom on it....Then drive until you get all your ready checks complete (could take a couple days), this can be viewed by using the scantech software and tactrix cable. Or you can go buy a hand held OBD scanner which will also display your ready checks. Then after inspection you just reflash your modded rom back on and done.

Im not sure if that is your problem though because they would all be "not ready" I would think. Seeing how your "not ready" variables are all linked to the front and rear O2 makes it seem that is where your problem lies.

What is weird is if you have a mechanical issue with the front O2 / Rear O2 not working properly along with the heater it should throw a cel? (in theory) Looks like you def. have some trial/error to do....I guess try the stock rom first and see what happens, sometimes things just happen....

Have you ever tampered with the front O2, replaced it, removed it, etc?
Old Nov 11, 2008, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by steelcityevo8
How in the hell are you guys even sweating emissions. You all know what you have to do

I stayed "legal" atleast sticker wise. Running an AEM ECU no OBD2 at all. And no cat on the car.

Get a guy in pocket and keep it rollin
How do they even get away with it? My brother-in-law inspects cars and he wouldn't even give me an emissions sticker without passing the OBD scan. The OBD test unit is a computer and while scanning the info is sent direct to Harrisburg and then a report is sent back whether you pass or failed. I failed the first time due to evap and Front O2 "not ready" - second time i passed with just Front O2 not ready...

He said unless you pass there is nothing I can do....ignoring the visual is one thing but that is only 1/2 the test.

Last edited by travman; Nov 11, 2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting. I just had my car inspected in Sept. I have a Perrin HFC with an antifouler/spacer in place for my second 02 sensor. I have a Jestr flash and i threw 0 "not ready" codes when the OBDII was hooked up.

I do say +1 to finding a guy and keeping him in the back pocket. Pretty much the only way i will ever fail is if there is a saftey concern like brakes or something like that.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR. Tim
Interesting. I just had my car inspected in Sept. I have a Perrin HFC with an antifouler/spacer in place for my second 02 sensor. I have a Jestr flash and i threw 0 "not ready" codes when the OBDII was hooked up.

I do say +1 to finding a guy and keeping him in the back pocket. Pretty much the only way i will ever fail is if there is a saftey concern like brakes or something like that.
how long have you had your perrin in there?

i have had mine for about 20k miles at this point, and it used to keep the code away, but probably about 8k miles ago i get the CEL all the time, no matter what.

might have been the leaded 112 i ran at the last time trial. figured since it was a hot day, soaking the cylinders down with octane would insulate me from any potential knock. and it did. didn't see my "knock light" at all except one time coming down the front straight on my final timed lap. i was riding the rev limiter like a $5 wh0re.

but the heated o2 sensor didn't seem too happy about it.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

How do they even get away with it? My brother-in-law inspects cars and he wouldn't even give me an emissions sticker without passing the OBD scan. The OBD test unit is a computer and while scanning the info is sent direct to Harrisburg and then a report is sent back whether you pass or failed. I failed the first time due to evap and Front O2 "not ready" - second time i passed with just Front O2 not ready...

He said unless you pass there is nothing I can do....ignoring the visual is one thing but that is only 1/2 the test.
I believe that some will just do the test on another car that will pass and give you the stickers for that car. Or some even more shady places will just give you two blank stickers and you fill out the back with some BS. (illigal as hell)

ill stick to putting packs of Malboro cigaretts on my windshield that look like stickers I belive i will need a pack of menthol (green) and a back of reds (red pack) and they look just like em!

p.s Petey any chance i could get a couple dyno pulls in to get some numbers? Which dnyo are you using? Slowboys?

Last edited by killthelights14; Nov 11, 2008 at 07:31 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have had mine for about 20k miles at this point, and it used to keep the code away, but probably about 8k miles ago i get the CEL all the time, no matter what.

might have been the leaded 112 i ran at the last time trial. figured since it was a hot day, soaking the cylinders down with octane would insulate me from any potential knock. and it did. didn't see my "knock light" at all except one time coming down the front straight on my final timed lap. i was riding the rev limiter like a $5 wh0re.

I've had mine for no more than 5000 miles. So far so good.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

one time running 112 mixed with pump gas wont hurt an O2 sensor.....plus its the rear O2 that is causing the cel, just run the O2 sim and you will never see it again - EVER.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

one time running 112 mixed with pump gas wont hurt an O2 sensor.....plus its the rear O2 that is causing the cel, just run the O2 sim and you will never see it again - EVER.
yeah i gotta get around to putting that back into my stock ecu xml file.

i am just so damn lazy. sooooo damn lazy...

i don't even realize the CEL is on most of the time now.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 08:28 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Evol.ved
Additional info:

If you drive under 5000 miles a year your car is exempt from emissions.

Here is a little website to find out what tests you need.

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/aq_apps/emissions/test.htm

You can easily test whether you will pass these tests with a tactrix cable and a program called scantech. It's free.

Swapping the evo cat is four bolts. The IX and VIII stock cats are not identical.

EVO's do not require the tailpipe test. They get the obd2 test.
Well kinda. I drive my DSM under 5000 miles a year (or maybe I only put 5000 miles on the stock gauge cluster). At any rate you still have to pass visual. You don't have to pass an OBD2 and/or sniffer test depending on what year your car is and what it requires. At any rate my DSM passes every year for saftey and emissions. Sometimes you just have to go to the PENDOT website and print out the law so that the inspector knows that yes your cage is legal, the belts are legal, that is a catalytic converter, and yes I can dump my exhaust 2" behind the most rearward passenger etc.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 08:32 AM
Account Disabled

It *shouldn't* kill an OEM mitsu sensor, true. I used to run 10-20K miles in my DSM on OEM sensors back in 2001-2005 and didn't kill it. However when you get some miles on them you can take out a sensor quickly. The bosch sensors, those POS's die after 5 gallons of the sweet stuff.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dan l
It *shouldn't* kill an OEM mitsu sensor, true. I used to run 10-20K miles in my DSM on OEM sensors back in 2001-2005 and didn't kill it. However when you get some miles on them you can take out a sensor quickly. The bosch sensors, those POS's die after 5 gallons of the sweet stuff.
my OE o2 sensor already had about 20k miles on it at that point. about 15k of which were with the HFC. about 7 gallons of leaded 112 later, and that is when the sensor started playing up all the time.

it might have more to do with the catalyst material just getting "filled up" after such and such a time, but at any rate that's right around when the problem started. not that it's a real big issue. thanks to trav i can shut that code off any time i want.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey guys, guess what I got...another B.S. ticket in my Evo!!! Yay!!!.

So, I'm on Carson St in the Southside heading home and, as usual, there was a lot of traffic. I'm at the intersection of 17th and Carson heading towards 18th. Traffic was backed up all the way to my intersection and wasn't moving while the light was green. The front of my car was in the intersection on 17th which could have potentially impeded traffic. While partially in the intersection, the light turned yellow. So, while the light was yellow, I pulled forward to get across the intersection. As my car was pulling past the intersection, the light turned red. I was basically completely through the intersection at that point with just the rear-quarter still in the intersection when light turned red. Cop, who was at the intersection on 17th St, pulls up behind and waits till I turn on to 18th St to turn on his lights.

I pull over, cop comes up to window and tells me that I ran the red light. I replied, "No officer, I did not. I was in the intersection when the light was yellow and it turned red after I was through it." He says, "No, you sped up to get through the intersection before it turned red." I asked, "If you are in the intersection when it is yellow and it turns to red, isn't that legal?" He said, "No, its not." The whole time his attitude is very condescending. Mine was a bit angered, but still respectful to the best of my ability for being pointlessly pulled over.

After that lengthy detailed story, my question is this: Is it legal if you are in the intersection while it is yellow, and the light turns red, to get through the intersection so as not to impede traffic? Does anyone know for sure? Where could I find this information? I'm debating on calling the Mayor hotline to report a wrongful citation.

The other thing is the cop changed the story on the ticket. He didn't argue at first that I was in the intersection while it was yellow, yet wrote on the ticket, "Driver sped up to beat yellow light and before entering the intersection the light changed to red." Total lie.

Also, cop did not let me sign the ticket that was issued to me so that I knew why I was being issued a citation. He simply wrote, "Not Signed" in the signature space.

Here's the best part. After he gives me the ticket, he gives me a suggestion on how to speak to a cop in order to get out of a ticket. He implied that if I had not protested the validity of the accusation, that he probably would have let me off with a warning. So, that leads me to assume that he gave me a ticket primarily because I questioned his accusation. I started to get mad at that point and accused him of giving me a ticket illegally. He then said that he wasn't going to argue with me and walked away. I told him that I'll see him in court.

My buddy was in the car with me and could verify the whole story - would it help to use him as a witness? If you made it through this entire epic post, kudos to you and please offer any and all advice.
Old Nov 11, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

ive been thinking about this for some time... does this eliminate closed loop entirely also then if the ecu ignores the rear o2?

Quick Reply: local Pittsburgh Meet