Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Ohio owners, need help getting collectors plates

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2005, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohio owners, need help getting collectors plates

has anyone done this yet, with ohio collectors plates you have no echeck, no cat, no front plate. just wondering if anyone has gone through this, and what info you used to get the tags, thanks for the help
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think I just went in with the title and filled out a form. It's been a few years (cuz I don't have to renew it! )
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

There is a form that is available on line from the OH Bureau of Motor Vehicles along with instructions. I have done it before with Porsches that were truly collectable. It is doubtfull that the Evo would be eligible.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:42 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I'd assume he doesn't mean the Evo.

Or if he does, he's in for a rude awakening.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

There was a STI at Hot Import Nights, Cleveland with collector plates. I asked him about it and he said you need $10,000 grand worth of receipts and proof that the car was made in limited numbers or something like that.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 07:10 PM

Jr hope this helps out. You need to get PA plates like me!!!
Blacksheepdj--- the evo does qualify and the STI.

Collector License Plates

General Information:
In an effort to ensure that all vehicles registered as collector vehicles are truly collectible, the Bureau of Motor Vehicles references the National Automobile Dealers Association, Classic, Collectible, and Special Interest Car Appraisal Guide or the 4th Edition Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975 (Krause Publications) or The Complete Book of Collectible Cars 1930-1990 (Consumer Guide) to determine vehicles that are true collector vehicles. Although we recognize that a vehicle may be unique because of time, energy and investment expended by the owner, these publications are used in determining eligibility for collector’s license plates. Due to a administrative ruling, vehicle models not listed in the above publications may be considered collector vehicles if the applicant obtains documentation from the manufacturer that the vehicle was in limited production, is in demand as a collectible vehicle at the time of application or a sizable investment can be proven.

Registrant Eligibility:
These plates may be issued to any Ohio motorist.

Title Requirements:
Ohio Certificate of Title issued in individual's name, either singly or jointly, or the name is the same name on the lease agreement.

Vehicle Information:
These plates may be issued to any vehicle. PC, NC & MH receive a set of plates. TL, HV, & MC receive one passenger-size plate.

Type of Plates:
Stock plates, reserved and personalized.

Issuance Information:
Applicant must complete BMV Form 4803 and BMV Form 5712 (Affidavit For Registration), if applicable. Applicant must have other means of transportation and be able to provide proof.

Requests for special plates may be made at any deputy registrar's office (see county list), online at OPLates.com, through the mail, or by calling the Bureau of Motor Vehicles at 1-888-PLATES3 (1-888-752-8373). Collector license plates may also be ordered as reserved or personalized plates with additional applicable fees. All plates will be mailed directly to the address on the registration card. The deputy will issue a registration card and validation stickers and will also provide the customer with a permit which will allow the customer to operate their vehicle while their plates are being manufactured.

Cost:
Additional fee of $5.00 plus annual registration fees and taxes. The fee is determined by ORC 4503.45

FEES

COLLECTOR PLATES NEW RENEWAL
Special Plate Fee: Stock $5.00 $5.00
Special Plate Fee: Reserved $15.00 $15.00
Special Plate Fee: Personalized $40.00 $40.00
New Plate Charge* $2.00 $0.00
License Tax: Passenger $31.00
$31.00

License Tax: Recreational Vehicle Up to $46.00
Up to $46.00

License Tax: Noncom Tk/Mtr Home Up to $81.00
Up to $81.00

Permissive Tax** $0.00 - $20.00 $0.00 - $20.00
Deputy Fee $3.25 $3.25
Plate Reflectorization Fee $0.25 per plate $0.00
County Sticker(s) $0.25 $0.00
Postage*** current rate current rate

The $2.00 fee does not apply if it is the first time the vehicle is registered by the owner or if the vehicle has not been plated in the last 12 months.

Permissive Tax is based upon customer's county of residence. (see county information)

*** No postage is required if renewed at deputy registrar.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by o3evo8; Mar 13, 2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old Mar 13, 2005, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
I'd assume he doesn't mean the Evo.

Or if he does, he's in for a rude awakening.

very funny , and yes i was referring to the evo, and yes it IS eligible, its for any limited production specialty vehicle. do you consider the cobra svt a collectors car? well it is

next time you want to be funny, try it on another thread, if you have nothing helpful to say, say nothing at all, thanks for your sarcasm though
Old Mar 13, 2005, 07:17 PM

as for the others, thanks for the helpful info
Old Mar 13, 2005, 07:23 PM

No prob
Old Mar 13, 2005, 09:53 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by jrhecker
very funny , and yes i was referring to the evo, and yes it IS eligible, its for any limited production specialty vehicle. do you consider the cobra svt a collectors car? well it is

next time you want to be funny, try it on another thread, if you have nothing helpful to say, say nothing at all, thanks for your sarcasm though
A) obviously, I was incorrect in my understanding of collector's plates.

B) obviously, I offended you. For that, I apologize.

C) personally, I don't consider an SVT a collector's vehicle, but I now know that Ohio does.

D) if you notice, I was trying to be helpful in my first post. I just happened to make an ignorant *** out of myself in my 2nd post.

Sorry.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 02:26 AM
Evolved Member

C) personally, I don't consider an SVT a collector's vehicle, but I now know that Ohio does.

D) if you notice, I was trying to be helpful in my first post. I just happened to make an ignorant *** out of myself in my 2nd post.

Sorry.

Don't sweat it dude. I didn't think an EVO would qualify for collectors plates either. And I'm sure there are a bunch of other people on there that would think the same. So I guess we all have learned something here.
Old Mar 14, 2005, 09:01 AM

Sorry.

its cool man, i fully appreciate the appology , i'm sorry if overreacted a little, its just that i remember when this site was a great source of information, before it switched formats, it seemed that it was mostly a site of good people, lately i have been very frustrated trying to get some helpful information, there are way too many smartasses on this site, obviously you are not one of them thanks again.

on your previous post were you referring to your 69 camaro? if so what type is it, thats my favorite year for the camaro, i would love to own a black 69 ss someday, like the one in better of dead. where in ohio do you live?
Old Mar 15, 2005, 05:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LateSleeper
There was a STI at Hot Import Nights, Cleveland with collector plates. I asked him about it and he said you need $10,000 grand worth of receipts and proof that the car was made in limited numbers or something like that.
Actually I think it was a WRX believe it or not, I bet I can dig up a pic we took at HIN, he had a ton of work done to it though, some go and a lot of show.

I think he also mentioned a stipulation of having collectors plates was a limit of like 3500 miles a year or something insane like that.

Which means good weather driving in the summer only!
Old Mar 15, 2005, 06:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by jrhecker
its cool man, i fully appreciate the appology , i'm sorry if overreacted a little, its just that i remember when this site was a great source of information, before it switched formats, it seemed that it was mostly a site of good people, lately i have been very frustrated trying to get some helpful information, there are way too many smartasses on this site, obviously you are not one of them thanks again.

on your previous post were you referring to your 69 camaro? if so what type is it, thats my favorite year for the camaro, i would love to own a black 69 ss someday, like the one in better of dead. where in ohio do you live?
Thanks.

It's just a standard Camaro. Previous owner bastardized it a bit, so it's got an SS hood (which I hate). Green with black stripes. We're working on rebuilding it over time. At this point, it's mostly "fixing previous owner's mistakes" mixed with a little bit of "putting on parts that came stock but aren't there anymore."

I live in Concord. It's about 30 miles NE of Cleveland. Right on Lake Erie.
Old Mar 15, 2005, 06:41 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by LilJapnBoy
I think he also mentioned a stipulation of having collectors plates was a limit of like 3500 miles a year or something insane like that.

Which means good weather driving in the summer only!
Yeah, that's a stipulation. Not sure of the exact numbers. I don't think they really check the odometer (not like they could, since the Camaro's is busted!), but basically you could probably get a ticket if a cop sees you driving it frequently.

Quick Reply: Ohio owners, need help getting collectors plates