Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Good twisty roads in NJ?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2006, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good twisty roads in NJ?

Hey. I just bought a 2006 EVO MR (GG) on Friday

It's funny that I've lived in NJ all my life, and I never gave the roads much thought. Anyway, now I am, so I'm looking for suggestions for any decent roads/routes in NJ for a fun Sunday drive with lots of twists/corners/bends and not too much traffic. Anything in central NJ would be a bonus.

Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2006, 06:54 PM

Congrats on the IX. Not sure how far you are from South Jersey (farm areas), but it's worth a look. I do alot of driving there for work during springtime and the roads are alot of fun. At least for now the traffic congestion is minimal. Happy hunting.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

north jersey has some decent twisties near the "mountains." a few of my favorites arent even on maps...there's a great run just off of rt. 23 which offers an amazing variety of turns with various elevation changes...the posted limit is 10mph and you'd be hard-pressed to fit two cars passed each other at some points. It's definitely something to tackle at night, good fun.
Old Feb 28, 2006, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

theres a pretty fun road in freehold its called namoco road its off of jackson mills rd its not the longest road but its fun becareful and drive safe.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 04:30 AM

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I kind of thought South Jersey would be my best bet. Freehold is quite close to me so I'll give that one a try 1st.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Atlantic Highlands

With out a doubt the best road is in the Atlantic highlands, Im not sure on the specific name but it is the exit off rt.36 with the wawa on the left. This is quite close to Sandy Hook, it has beautiful scenic route next to the water and is quite twisty. Btw im in Manalapan, we should meet up at E-town.
Old Mar 1, 2006, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Just go into Sussex or Warren county and you will find some great roads, I know quite a few from riding a bike. Try Rt. 517 between Oldwick and Andover. Rt. 519 is great picked up near Newton, Rt. 23 all the way up near High Point, RFt. 513 near Long Valley, and there are many other little roads off of these roads that are fun to find.

Good luck and enjoy!!!
Old Mar 1, 2006, 06:54 AM

scott yo - I can't find Namoco Road on any maps. I found Jackson Mills Road but nothing close to being called 'Namoco' off of it???
Old Mar 2, 2006, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In philly there are good roads. Kelly Drive is a very good one there is minimal traffic and decent lighting and nice curves. There are two diffrent entrances with diffrent twist and turns.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:09 AM

well if your ever up in north NJ, route 9W around the Alpine/Tenafly area has a few S-shaped turns (nothing exilirating tho).. or you can take the Palisades Parkway right off RT 9 up to Beat Mountain (~30mins drive).. Evo-NY and SQC-NY people organize caravans and have meets there every so often.. i never went with them, but i drove up there with some friends and the enviormentis a great change from the city/suburban area
Old Mar 2, 2006, 10:30 AM
SoR
Evolved Member

The only fun roads really are in NNJ on the NY border or NW NJ but it can be busy over there so they end up not being too much fun.
In central, the only fun roads I've driven on were towards west PA, starting after Princeton and they tend not to be too fun for the same reason as the NNJ ones, people on the road, slow cars, cops etc. Now outside of Philly there are some fun roads but I'm not very familiar with the area so I didn't drive there a lot.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

go through some of the larger parks while its still cold and no one is around. i know johnson park in piscataway is windy for most of the way. but its nothing too wild.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 04:35 PM

I was just watching an old episode of American Chopper where Rick builds his own bike. At the end he takes it out for a spin through some mountains in NY, and those roads looked sweet. I think I'll give the good old NJ highlands a shot 1st, and then head on up through NY :-)
Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:28 AM

My new favorite road sign

I took an alternative/back road route to my friend's house yesterday and now it's the only way I'm going to his house from now on (which used to be Rt-33 but that's just straight and regularly patrolled). If you're ever in the area, try CR-571 East to CR-1 East to CR-527 East between Hightstown and Freehold.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2literv8eater
Just go into Sussex or Warren county and you will find some great roads, I know quite a few from riding a bike. Try Rt. 517 between Oldwick and Andover. Rt. 519 is great picked up near Newton, Rt. 23 all the way up near High Point, RFt. 513 near Long Valley, and there are many other little roads off of these roads that are fun to find.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

+1 Rt23 to Highpoint and past Highpoint to Port Jervis is the shiet! Although you will find me there more with my R1 than my Evo.

Quick Reply: Good twisty roads in NJ?