Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

need massachusetts peeps help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need massachusetts peeps help

all you massachusetts peeps can help me on this one.... I'm in the process of buying a TBE, and i was wondering if i can get away w/running a test pipe instead of the HFC. i think emissions is checked every 2 years in mass, but how badly will i fail the emissions test if i just had the test pipe on.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Put the cat back on before you go through. I cant imagine it taking more than 30 mins- 1 hour in your driveway. If they just happen to look under the car and the cat is not there, start praying.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

100% emission test fail w/ testpipe. What u can do is to swap it w/ the stock for the emission testing. It's only like 30min job at the max.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NoTec
Put the cat back on before you go through. I cant imagine it taking more than 30 mins- 1 hour in your driveway. If they just happen to look under the car and the cat is not there, start praying.

i dont have a lift or anything like that, so id have to get a shop to do this.. also, if and when i get the 3''dp those will hook up w/the stock cat? and when do they do emissions every 2 years right?
Old Jun 26, 2006, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

No need for a lift....buy a jack and stands and put the stock catback/cat on for the test.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

I know a lot of people with test pipes or High Flows and no failures. For your safety check, you only need to have no SES light...for the emissions test (a 2-speed sniff test), a high-flow cat should be enough, or know the right people.

To be extra safe, you can simply switch out the cat section, as the others have stated.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

A. Dude you live in MA inspection is every year.

B. Yes you will fail inspection DUHHHH!

C. Buy drive on ramps, they make plastic ones low enough for evo.

D. I believe its 19mm bolts. I had a ***** taking off the bolts because they were really rust but you can soak them in loosener i duno the name of it or use a torch to heat it up.

P.S. no cat smells bad too, its a dead giveaway.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BretTheJet26
all you massachusetts peeps can help me on this one.... I'm in the process of buying a TBE, and i was wondering if i can get away w/running a test pipe instead of the HFC. i think emissions is checked every 2 years in mass, but how badly will i fail the emissions test if i just had the test pipe on.
Please read this and omit everything else you read in the thread up to this point.

Emissions test are done every two years in MA. Exceptions: New cars have 2 years that they receive safety-only inspections..Depending on the month they are registered in, I have seen three years of stickers conecutive safety-only. A car that changes registration automatically receives an emissions test.

OBD2 vehicles (96 and up) are tested using the DLC and not the "sniffer". If your readiness codes are in a "fail or incomplete"..You will not pass. Only when the car fails, is repaired and continues to fail the OBD2 test will it try to use the 2 speed idle test.

You can not just "put" your cat in the day of the inspection and pass and OBD2 test. If you have a P0420 (cat efficiency, the most common with a test pipe) code, you will need to clear it and with that all the readiness codes will be erased. You will need to drive the vehicle until the readiness codes are set. You can check it with an OBD2 scan tool, or drive 100 miles and hope it's done.

-Gabe
Old Jun 26, 2006, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Yup listen to Gabriel, he's got it on point.

Obviously the inspection station will do a visual check of the car to determine the condition of the exhaust, suspension, tint, lighting...blah blah blah...however some shops will be willing to work with your situation i dont know where you are but what i would do is ask a tuning shop in your area about who might be able to help.

If you're in the 617 or northern 781(waltham, lexington etc) area PM me and ill discuss this a bit more, if you aren't then it might not be worth your time. Either way it can be done.
Old Jun 26, 2006, 08:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shiftdsm E
Yup listen to Gabriel, he's got it on point.

Obviously the inspection station will do a visual check of the car to determine the condition of the exhaust, suspension, tint, lighting...blah blah blah...however some shops will be willing to work with your situation i dont know where you are but what i would do is ask a tuning shop in your area about who might be able to help.

If you're in the 617 or northern 781(waltham, lexington etc) area PM me and ill discuss this a bit more, if you aren't then it might not be worth your time. Either way it can be done.

yeah im in the 781 area code.. but after reading all this, i think ill just put on a high flow cat.. i dont want to have to deal w/codes n shiat
Old Jun 27, 2006, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

you can pass you just need to knwo where to go..........
Old Jul 14, 2006, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

You could still fail with a high flow cat if it isn't efficient enough, it will still throw a code. Your best bet is a HFC or Test pipe with an O2 simulator. Then there will be no codes that will trigger a fail. You only fail is the computer senses the problem.

Good luck.