Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Illegal Exhaust ticket in MA - Resolved

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2006, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If that is the case then i think it would make common sense that, the officer swallow his pride and issue and warning and trust in that person, that the offender was just ingorant and did not know any better, it just seems that we as a society have gotten so out of hand, and cant be human anymore... things such as this just disappoint me...
Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:15 PM

well i got the big day tomorrow 8 am sharp, as soon as i get back i will post the results, wish me luck!!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

Good Luck!!!!!!!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

I hope things turn out well for you!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 05:38 AM
Evolved Member

yeah good luck! im waiting for my "modified muffler" court date to come in the mail.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:48 AM

Hey all,

just returned home from a trip to the Dudley Court, which i will add is a joke, they have no idea whats going on. So first off they have me go to the probation officer(i'm not on probation of any kind) and have me fill out paper work for an attorney when i allready had told them i would represnt myself over and over again, then they tell me to go check in with the clerks office(makes sense), they tell me i dont need to they allready have my paperwork so now i need to wait to see the DA which takes forever after they go through all the cases before they get to Motor Vechicle cases then they take a recess for a half hour(still waiting for the DA) finally he calls me, asks me if i knew i was breakin the law, i say no, i'm from CT, he says well it is and you broke it. I had to slow him down from filling the paperwork to fine me so he could look at the evidence i brought, i showed him:

Certificate that came from Greddy
Printout from Greddy's Website saying that the exhaust is 50 state legal
Reciept proving the exhaust system that i have
Inspection Certificate from CT DMV saying that the vechicle is street legal
and the Owners Manual that says all the inspection information becuase the car has to pass specific emisions thank you CT lawmakers! (This proved to be the deal maker because the two decibals levels matched)

So the result is the DA dropped the fine and ticket !

thanks for all of your support!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Congrats!! It is amazing that it's so much of a fight, though, huh? I was shocked that they didn't just look at the sound cert and throw the ticket out.

Please keep fighting (and winning) against these bogus tickets!!
Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is nice to see the tickets are being taking care of in the proper way. I'm also impressed by the lack of whining about these tickets. Good job to the both of you for beat these tickets.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:04 PM

I read the MA law a few months ago. It looked to me like you weren't allowed to "modify" an exhaust by drilling holes in the muffler or adding cut outs. It didn't look like there was anything about replacing your stock for an aftermarket exhaust.

A friend of mine also spoke to some state official who told him that the state has tryed to outlaw aftermarket performance parts several times but they haven't been able to yet. At best this "rule" is pending.
Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:05 PM
Evolving Member

Geez, I wish I knew you were in Dudley. I live in Webster/work in Dudley. We could have had a cocktail to celebrate your victory. N E way, congrats!!!!
By the way, where you stopped in Mass and given the ticket?
Old Aug 26, 2006, 08:18 AM

Thanks for all the support guys, it is amazing at how hard you have to push and fight, although hopefully this thread with help all NE evo's fight these Mass tickets, it seems that as long as you are willing to fight and to come to court with proper evidence and with an intelligent argument to counter the position that the DA takes.

I was pulled over right after i crossed over the Mass border on 84 right past exit 1 by sturbridge po po's

I'm down for drinks or anything, i live prolly 20-25 mins from dudley....

FIGHT ON!!!
Old Aug 26, 2006, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went to a meet this weekend....I was parked on the side of the road with the car turned off along with probably 30 other cars. 3 state troopers came and gave everyone from MA (there were many out of staters) with an aftermarket exhaust a ticket

Car wasn't EVEN ****ING ON!!!!

I can't believe it's a moving violation, what a crock of ****. I'm definitely gonna appeal it...and also time to paint the muffler black.

Old Aug 26, 2006, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Anja: I'm sorry to hear that you were targeted for this violation. I hope that you'll be able to convince the magistrate that, with the vehicle off and parked, the officer had no way of knowing if your exhaust was louder than stock or not. Also, bring information stating that your exhuast is street legal. Feel free to PM me, it sucks that you have to waste time fighting the ticket but it can be beat.
Old Aug 30, 2006, 09:38 AM

It doesn't sound legal that he could give you a ticket while the car is off. I can understand getting a ticket for expired tags or something obviously visible like a broken tail light...but a lot of the wording on the exhaust laws relies on the subjective judgement of the cop regarding the sound.

With the car off, there is no sound. Sounds like Johnny law needs to get his ears checked, literally and figuratively

LVIIIR,

Good luck with your fight! Hopefully if there are enough people battling these bogus tickets in court, they will realize it is wasting valuable court time from prosecuting the real criminals out there.

Is it true that cops are paid + extra for any time they spend in court?
Old Aug 31, 2006, 05:26 PM

No cops dont get paid any extra for court time thats why most of them dont show up...

I won my case if there is anything i can do to help anyone fights theres pm me and i will help you to the fullest!!

-Matt

Quick Reply: Illegal Exhaust ticket in MA - Resolved