Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Shop that fixes stripped threads? (CT)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shop that fixes stripped threads? (CT)

Anyone know a machine shop / exhaust place that will repair stripped o2 sensor threads in CT?
Old Nov 13, 2006, 04:05 PM

I would be interested in this as well
Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:47 AM
avs

Go to sears and get a tap/die and re-tap it yourself.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 05:36 AM
Evolving Member

I would think that any reputable exhaust system shop would be able to re-tap it or grind off/ weld on a new bung for ya. If nobody here has any recommendations, go to the yellow pages and call around.
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

There is a place in New Britain CT. I can't remember the name of the shop. It might be called Dalena Auto Parts or something. I remember it was near Arch street (not a really good area to bring your EVO). Give them a call and see if they can help you, hopefully its the right place.

Lisa
Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:15 PM
Account Disabled

I will have to double check but we probably have a dye that big at our shop...
Old Nov 19, 2006, 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

really...just go to sears and buy a tap and dye set. Last year while I was installing my forge WGA i stripped the threads on my turbo housing...i was freaking out for a while...than after the storm settled i just went to sears, bought a tap and presto...threads all good on the housing.

I know it sounds scary...but it really isnt.

Another story was I was installing a brand new stock front strut on my car and after putting my springs back on i completely stripped the threads on the strut. I was freaking out..a 270$ strut destroyed....again, when to sears bought the correct dye, threaded the stud...all good.

you can do it
Old Nov 19, 2006, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LanEvoNine
Anyone know a machine shop / exhaust place that will repair stripped o2 sensor threads in CT?
If you mean welding a new 02 sensor bung on a cat or test pipe then see

Total Autosports
182C Kelsey Street
Newington, CT 06111

They're evo experts.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 06:01 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by avs
Go to sears and get a tap/die and re-tap it yourself.
Yes,but the problem with that is a TAP in the wrong hands can be very destructive...
Not so short story:
I had a customer that brought their vehicle in to me for a "slight" problem,or so they thought.They were changing their spark plugs on their Tundra when one would not come out so they used more force and broke the spark plug off with the threads(bottom portion of spark plug) still in cylinder head.If the would have stopped then and brought me the vehicle I could have repaired this for realitivly cheap,but they did not. They must have gone on their internet Fourm and gotten instructed to go to sears and buy some easy-outs.Guess what? They did end up bringing the vehicle to me,FINALLY,but not before BREAKING off an Easy Out inside the portion of spark plug that remained in the head.It was broken off clean so now we have a threaded portion of spark plug that is frozen/stripped in cylinder head with a broken off easy-out (or not so easy out) inside it,and as all of you know and easy out is almost as hard as a TAP or drill bit for that matter.To finish this "short" story I gave them an estimate for R&R cylinder head and machine work needed to remove their self inflicted MESS.They declined repair and towed vehicle back out.I am hoping after the mess that they made that they are not going to attempt to do this themselves as well with the help of thier internet forum.
Some things should be left to professionals as tools in the wrong hands can end up costing alot more in the long run. Good luck and if you need them fixed for a Decent price then P.M. me and I will see what I can do,just dont make matters worse if you are unsure of repairing it yourself.