Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Frustration with a local police officer

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
35% is the legal limit, that is with stock tint. I have 35% film tint on the front but it comes out to 23% with the stock tint. Then on top of that i have 14% in back.. haha
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EJEvo
I got pulled over by a NYS trooper on the Thruway last night for 1) plate covers (clear plastic ones), and 2) "inadequate exhaust" (a Borla cat-back).

While I look for my license and registration, he shines the flashlight on my wallet to help me see. As I pull them out, he says he noticed... my HEALTH INSURANCE CARD. Then he asks "who do you work for?", "how long have you worked for them?", and finally "who do you know in <my hometown>?"

He must have not liked my health insurance, but gave me credit for my lengthy career with my employer: he dropped the plate covers and just gave me the exhaust citation.
you should fight that exhuast ticket. troopers in this area can no longer plea bargain tickets and therefore you are likely to deal with a local attorney who is acting as the town prosecutor or with an assistant district attorney. either of those people will most likely not care at all about the charge and do something to get rid of it for you. also, if you have a cat and the exhaust bolts up to the stock locations, your exhuast complies with section 375.31 of the vehicle and traffic law, which is likely the section he incorrectly charged you under. if he charged you for loudness, then it should be a different section and he would have to have a decibel meter and be 50 feet from the center line of the road as you pass by to get a reading. almost nobody does this, so it's not likely your ticket.

either way, do not plead guilty and do not listen to the idiots that tell you to own up and just accept responsibility. these people are ignorant, likely pay outrageous insurance rates and belong in a country without a constitution. NEVER plead guilty to a ticket in New York State. Ever. you are voluntarily costing yourself alot of money over the long haul by soing so.
Old Apr 16, 2007, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I'm going to fight it. Thanks.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by anjapower
That sucks to hear Sung. Are you appealing the ticket(s)? Definitely worth a shot if you have a good driving record.

How are things these days...have you been out of the country?

Anj,

How are you, Man? I somehow missed your post. So, you kept your Evo?

I got really hooked into road-racing, being always broke. So, when are you going to come out to track and set your beast free w/o worrying about Johny Laws?
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:34 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sung, you HAVE to fight that. It's 3 charges on one ticket. That's three surcharge able events all in one. That will have serious consequences as far as your license goes.

Get a lawyer, do whatever you have to do.

Alex
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Well... folks

Looks like I have to change my initial decision and fight this ticket as I am broke as a dog right now.

Can someone teach me how to peel off window tints?

Also, would I have a problem if I just use one of those both-side tapes to put the front plate back on just for the court date...? The super duper nice police officer kindly told me that I better have my front plate back on the car if I even remotely consider to appeal. So, I better make sure that I am fully ready to confront this tight-***...

Thanks for the comments, guyz.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:43 PM
Evolving Member

Hey Alex! How are you?

You just posted while I was typing. I am going to fight it. I am going to peel the tint off and put the front plate back on. Good to hear from you, man.

Are you coming to the Watkins Glen with COM next monday?
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Get the right bracket and put the plate back on the car. I know it is gay, but otherwise your asking for more tickets.

To remove the tint, set a day aside for yourself, it takes some time. Mask off the top of the door panel and get some "Goof off" sticky stuff remover. Your going to need a few razor blades to.

Cut some slices in the tint and just peel it off. Put the goof off all over the glue and then with a heat gun or even a hair dryer, get it nice and hot.

Start scraping.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:54 PM
Evolving Member

haha against red brake calibers, you forgot boston sucks ;-)
try driving in NY, atleast they didn't pull you out the car and beat your ***
Old Apr 17, 2007, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dennis F
Get the right bracket and put the plate back on the car. I know it is gay, but otherwise your asking for more tickets.

To remove the tint, set a day aside for yourself, it takes some time. Mask off the top of the door panel and get some "Goof off" sticky stuff remover. Your going to need a few razor blades to.

Cut some slices in the tint and just peel it off. Put the goof off all over the glue and then with a heat gun or even a hair dryer, get it nice and hot.

Start scraping.
Dennis,

Thanks for the help, man.

So, just to reiterate your instructions and ask some questions;

1) mask off the top of the door panel

2) get some 'Goof off' sticky stuff remover along with a few razor blades
(where can I get this 'Goof off' stick stuffs?)

3) Cut some slices in the tint and start peeling off.

4) Then I use that 'Goof off' stuffs to remove glues... Right? Is heat gun or hair dryer really necessary? I don't have power outlets in my apartment garage...

5) Any thing I can use to facilitate scraping?

Also, yeah... I am going to drill holes on the bumper and do it right way. It will hurt my feelings when I do it, though.
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:03 PM

Good luck Sung
Old Apr 17, 2007, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wz1999
Good luck Sung
Thanks. Looks like your car is coming along nicely looking at your signature. Nice upgrades!
Old Apr 18, 2007, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Your lucky it wasn't in NJ. Failure to produce documentation is a $250 fine, no appeals. If you left your wallet at home and it had your drivers license and registration... $500, missing your insurance card because you got a new one and forgot to put it in the car, another $250.

And you thought Boston was rough, HAHA
Old Apr 19, 2007, 08:27 AM

From personal experience, definitely appeal in MA. Without a real moving violation you’re fine. Judges notice a cop with an attitude too. If your car has a MA inspection sticker/passes emissions you should have little problem with anything other than the tint. As much as it's ridiculous that Evo's etc. are stopped for mild exhaust while Harley's are free to shatter windows, there’s not much one can do about it, instead get rid of the tint. It serves no purpose and offers a legitimate argument to stop in nearly any situation…unless you’re hiding something.
Old Apr 19, 2007, 07:48 PM

Not that I think anyone deserves a ticket for anything as benign as tint, but, I have never understood why anyone would want to tint the windows on an EVO. I'm still looking for a new one to upgrade from my Ralliart, and if I find it, I'll be wanting people to see me in it.

Quick Reply: Frustration with a local police officer