Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MyEvoDream
so 91 octane is ok to run as long as I dont beat on it correct? For maybe 1 full tank...might not have to but just in case...
You might be ok. I wouldn't run it unless you HAD to. I am sure chris tuned it conservatively enough.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well for all of you going to the rally you may have to ...although I did manage to score a couple places of the few left in maine that have 93 so we may be ok...either that or I'm hauling some gallons of 93 in the trunk :O
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

so 91 octane is ok to run as long as I dont beat on it correct? For maybe 1 full tank...might not have to but just in case...

if you're worried about going to Maine, you should be OK... in-town gas stations are much more likely to have 93 than the highway stations...

There's supposedly been "no 93 in Maine" for over a year now but I find it every time we go up there and mostly at in-town stations. You can definitely count on Maine's Mobil stations to have it.

If you have to run 91 you should be OK.... especially if you're not redlining it every chance you get. With your factory ECu you should still have protections like the kock sensor and maybe (depeding on how your tune is set up) some low-octane maps.

You could always fill up with 105 before you go and then put a half-tank of 91 in there when you arrive... or just bring 5 gallons of 105 with you...or spike your tank with toluene...

Any way you cut it, you should be fine...
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i've never had issues finding 93 in maine? been up there a bunch too.

usually i go to in town stations as well - usually mobil.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:42 AM
Evolved Member

yea, i should be fine, the mobil station I go to every year up there always has 93, including last year...so I think I'll be ok time to burn up the rest of my tires!
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

yea, i should be fine, the mobil station I go to every year up there always has 93, including last year...so I think I'll be ok time to burn up the rest of my tires!

what town are you going to? How far up is it?
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

first day is mostly in Mexico/rumford area...I'll be leaving to go up there at about 7 on friday, and leaving at about 11 am on sat. cause I have to be back for a wedding, but I'll catch the first stage on sat. in the area of errol NH
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:56 AM

You would be fine running 87 if you had to. Seriously. As long as you don't get into boost much, if it all. It will run fine cruising and everything. 91 will not be a problem at all, and running stock boost levels on a stock tune, I doubt you would even knock. I know you are tuned or whatever, but you will still be fine. You could run 91 everyday of the year, as long you went easy on the pedal.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Marshall O
You could run 91 everyday of the year, as long you went easy on the pedal.
Or just got tuned for it.

Its not boost i am worried about, it is timing. I am sure his timing, even low octane, would be a tad advanced for 87, even out of boost.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Yea, like I said, I should be fine and able to get 93, never had a problem, just that I saw that recent post about 93 in maine...but now I'm able to find some by just looking at sites on the web, so I know stations up there have it, and close to where I'm going so I'll be able to get it thank god, cause there are a lot of good twisties up there! My Gti got air born on 3 occasions at this one spot
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:06 AM

most people don't touch the cruising areas of the timing maps. most don't even touch part throttle, so i'm sure it's fine. i would just gentle on the throttle.

the car DOES run on 91 CA craptane gas, so if in doubt, put the stock rom back on.

not necessary, but if it makes you feel better, go for it.

also, torco will work in pinch. it's good stuff.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:10 AM

If he didn't change his open-loop settings (don't know how to describe in terms of ECUFlash, as I haven't done it myself), but I believe if he didn't as long as he was in open-loop (as he should be during all normal driving), it would be the 'stock' open-loop tune from the factory, and would not affect his timing.

I could be wrong though.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

If he didn't change his open-loop settings (don't know how to describe in terms of ECUFlash, as I haven't done it myself), but I believe if he didn't as long as he was in open-loop (as he should be during all normal driving), it would be the 'stock' open-loop tune from the factory, and would not affect his timing.

I could be wrong though.
Closed loop (Front O2 feedback) is normal driving condition...

Open loop is the high throttle stuff...

In closed loop, the ECU should constantly be targeting the set lambda value... and I think you're right, some tuners don't even touch that section...
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:17 AM

I am an idiot...long week. I meant closed loop. You know I meant closed loop. Time to go home yet??
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

I am an idiot...long week. I meant closed loop. You know I meant closed loop. Time to go home yet??
I didn't know what you meant. I was just trying to help out my buddy .

Lemme know if you wanna stop by later and hang out and/or take a look at that camera....

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread