Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulnsx
well i take back what i said... the guys in the mac group here told me that photoshop should be using the gpu a fair amount

The general concensus on the intarwebosphere is that, prior to CS3, photoshop did not use the GPU for anything other than screen draw and even with CS3, GPU usage is minimal... weird to get such conflicting info.

I've read that, in terms of machine specs for photoshop... RAM >>> CPU >> GPU > iPOnU....
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by avengerhed
The general concensus on the intarwebosphere is that, prior to CS3, photoshop did not use the GPU for anything other than screen draw and even with CS3, GPU usage is minimal... weird to get such conflicting info.

I've read that, in terms of machine specs for photoshop... RAM >>> CPU >> GPU > iPOnU....
even if they are using the GPU to optimize some stuff. i would be surprised if the regular macbook didn't perform fairly closely...

the biggest thing that scares me about the pro is the recalls on the GPU in it... nvidia sucks a$$. i guess they have been really f'in things up with apple...

Last edited by Paulnsx; Aug 5, 2008 at 08:17 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for the iPod... I'll be rocking a touch... i really dislike the new nano design (word is, they are going to back to a tall-skinny nano)... plus, with WiFi, you can make the Touch essentially an iPhone......
Oh no! i like the current nano! should i get one now... do you think there will be a discount on the current nano - when the new ones come out?

I also heard they are revamping the mac mini - i may jump on the bandwagon.

I was trying to find out how much the GPU is used for photoshop... i raised this exact point with a Mac rep who was pushing the Pro and he became quite stumped as well....

I figured that the GPU was used mostly for rendering in 3D... in the case of photoshop, isn't it only being used to populate the screen with a 2D map of color? I don't think it's doing any of the processing...but I could be wrong....
Even though the 3D pipeline is not being used, the GPU and dedicated video ram is used heavily even with 2D. whether or not you'll notice the difference, i guess is the question.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

even if they are using the GPU to optimize some stuff. i would be surprised if the regular macbook didn't perform fairly closely...

the biggest thing that scares me about the pro is the recalls on the GPU in it... nvidia sucks a$$. i guess they have been really f'in things up with apple...
I tend to agree with you (OMG, NOWAI!)...but I hope it's not just because I am trying to justfiy saving $800... But I am truly convinced that I will not be able ot recover that $800 in appreciable performance gains....

I hadn't heard about the nvidia recalls... that sucks... certainly strikes a blow at taking the non-integrated (AKA not-all-apple) approach to building hardware...
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dexmix
Oh no! i like the current nano! should i get one now... do you think there will be a discount on the current nano - when the new ones come out?
If you like the current Nano, then i suggest you score one now... They'll likely come off the shelves around Sept 15th... Of course, you could buy one at the Refurb store ($99 for 4GB)... they'll likely move to the "Clearance" bin on Apple's store once the newbies hit...

Even though the 3D pipeline is not being used, the GPU and dedicated video ram is used heavily even with 2D. whether or not you'll notice the difference, i guess is the question.
Hrmmm... more to think about I guess...

Maybe Paul should buy one, I should put Photoshop on it, and we should make a test!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't forget you want these machines to last for a good amount of time. Making the extra investment might be worth it in a few years when it avoids you buying a new machine.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

SICCCKKKKK!

Guess what has two thumbs and just saved over $1100 on their car insurance by moving to Northborough?!?!

<- This guy.

1514 for two cars FTW!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

SICCCKKKKK!

Guess what has two thumbs and just saved over $1100 on their car insurance by moving to Northborough?!?!

<- This guy.

1514 for two cars FTW!
you should get a quote from progressive. you might save another 300 off that.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolving Member

i think you'll only notice a difference for processing that goes down the 3d pipeline.

you should get a quote from progressive. you might save another 300 off that.
i might. i really like amica tho. they have been pretty awesome and 1500 makes me very happy. i doens't hurt to get a quote tho.

Last edited by Paulnsx; Aug 5, 2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

I think I might have a winner for the car contest...

2005 Silver corvette 6spd. w/red interior Targa top, Z51 pkg, chrome wheels, heads up display, kept in heated garage, clean as they come, and only 4800 miles!! $32k
Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1slowevo

2005 Silver corvette 6spd. w/red interior Targa top, Z51 pkg, chrome wheels, heads up display, kept in heated garage, clean as they come, and only 4800 miles!! $32k

Wow, nice! Hook it up!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

oh crap! do it! i had no idea the 05's were also C6s.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Don't forget you want these machines to last for a good amount of time. Making the extra investment might be worth it in a few years when it avoids you buying a new machine.
i dont think the extra $$ is gunna make it last longer... infact the pro is more likely to fail since the GPUs are known to have issues...

the difference davids is 600 i believe... to me that money is mostly buying a bigger screen, better gpu and better looking case.

1200 for the macbook (education disc)
1800 for the pro (edu disc)
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Srsly. Do it. That is a great price for that car
Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i dont think the extra $$ is gunna make it last longer... infact the pro is more likely to fail since the GPUs are known to have issues...
And that is what the warranty is for.

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread