Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2008, 06:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have any sort of mechanical experience? Do you have a garage? If you get a shortblock it would be an easy swap as long as the head is ok. All you need is an engine hoist.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:02 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you could have someone build a shortblock and then have the head and turbocharger checked (both of the latter should be done regardless)

Or.. Buy a built shortblock from a vendor like Cosworth, AMS or.. well those are the only two I think are worth their salt.

Or.. buy a longblock from a recyclers and minimize downtime and expense but possibly exposing yourself to an uncertain outcome through used parts.

Those are the only options.
Old Sep 18, 2008, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my mechanical experience is minimal, not even near enough to do this. plus i dont have an engine hoise or a garage big enough to do that kind of work in. the garage i have at my dads in marlboro is just big enough to park my car in, thats it.

and as far as having everything being checked out, one way or the other yes, i would have that done.

something will be worked out. i hope.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

sleep > me
public class Pwnd
{
public static void main (String [] args)
{
System.out.println ("Kill me now");
}
}
comp sci sucks.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 04:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DocCola
not looking good for the car guys. i watched my oil pan be taken off today and had to pick my heart up off the ground afterward. Lots of metal. Big hunks of metal everywhere. Falling from the engine. Oh no.....

Steve made me an offer I almost couldn't refuse today, he is willing to pay off my car (not going to give numbers, PM me and I may tell you) and give me a deal on a X. I said no. It wasn't as easy as it should have been to say no though.

I want my car back. MY car.

Please excuse me whilst I go cry into a very strong drink.
Originally Posted by Bimmubishi
The X is an incredible machine. Things could be worse. Just looking out for the bright side of things.
If he actually made you a decent deal on an X (which i find hard to believe, afterall it is a car dealership), then I think you should strongly consider it...

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I honestly think you need to remember this is just a car. A $30k Mitsubishi at that.
Absolutely. Here's the thing to remember- it's only a car. It hasn't been in a wreck and you're not hurt...it's really no big deal. Don't get worked up about the rep being a jerk either, that's what he gets paid to do. And remember, you could get the car all fixed up and drive it for another month or two before an accident happens, or it gets stolen, or your mitsu rebuild takes a dump...it's not worth all the worry and sadness...it's just a car.

Maybe you can call your insurance company if the Mitsubishi dealership warranty fails you. I've heard of similar incidents to the one you had being covered by insurance.
This is an excellent idea. Especially if you have comprehensive coverage (which i'm sure you do if you have an auto loan). I would call them up immediately and explain the situation ("I didn't file a police report when it happened, because I didn't think it was going to be this bad...").
Old Sep 19, 2008, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by PlayinWithFire
sleep > me

comp sci sucks.
here's a tip from a veteran....always put lots of sleep statements in your code. then, later when you have to optimize it, you can just remove them and then everyone will be happy.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 05:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

sleep > me

comp sci sucks.
Originally Posted by crazymikie
here's a tip from a veteran....use beer as an incentive to finish quicker. Coding under pressure always yields better results. Even better if your friend threatens you that if you dont finish by the time he finishes his 6-pack he will do it for you
fixed.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
why do i have the feeling im going to end up driving a X?

Anyone want to call dibs on anything? I wanna be able to still hear my sexy exhaust so lets keep it local. How about you Josh...that MR is begging for an exhaust...

:'-(

If it comes down to you getting rid of your Evo, ill take that exhaust from you but hopefully you wont have to do that. Sucks that it happened, especially when your car seemed to be running great last weekend and luckily it didnt happen when we were all the way up in Maine.

Last edited by 19DB794; Sep 19, 2008 at 05:08 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 05:12 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

This is why you dont get gas at a highway rest stop, they will interview you for things like laying off toll takers.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/17507405/
Old Sep 19, 2008, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

The X is an incredible machine. Things could be worse. Just looking out for the bright side of things.
+1000000
I would love to have this new platform

its not that its not nice because ill admit it is after driving it. its that i have a lot that ive done to my evo, MY evo that i worked hard for years to get and be able to mod. now that i was starting to get it to where i wanted this happened. i dont know if i can have the love and passion i have for my car for a x.
Give it some time. And hope for the best. There are ways around this if warranty doesn't pull through (like mentioned in a previous post). And there are enough of us around here that can help you with whatever it is you need to do to get your car on the street again. Whether its a nearby shop, or us. You can source anything you want, it just depends on how much you want to spend. If you have the money, and have this much personal attachment to this car, than spend it to get fixed. Keep being optimistic about your car. And when everything else has failed you, I say go into a new X GSR.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 05:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Why put yourself in more debt? Just buy a short block or empty block and build it. It is an expensive accident but it happens. Now you just have a reason to build it better. I honestly think you need to remember this is just a car. A $30k Mitsubishi at that.

I would have to agree here. Putting your self into big debt with a new car that you dont truely want does not sound like the answer. Best bet would be to spend some cash and get a built short block and swap everything over that you can. Yes, it will be a little time consuming, but in the end you will be happy that you have YOUR car back and it would have been built right and with stronger parts for future upgrades. This is thrown out the window of course if decides to pick up the tab for it all...

Last edited by EvoooB; Sep 19, 2008 at 05:28 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 05:29 AM
Evolved Member

Well, it's a new day. I managed to somehow get a decient night of sleep last night, even with my 50lb "puppy" sleeping on me and I think my head is a bit more clear right now.

If I get word back from the rep today that Mitsu will not cover the repair I am going to try and get into a X GSR. But only with the deal that Steve and I discussed. ( And Dave, it was an awesome deal that would include paying off my car so I don't go upside down for more than what it's worth with no engine and giving me a good deal on a almost loaded GSR while keeping my payments close to the same), but it depends on if Mitsu is willing to give me the rate I want and not go higher than what I have. With the loan that I have for my car and my wifes car in my name, that's going to be the hard part.

Otherwise, if that fails I will have the car put on a trailier and brought somewhere to be fixed. I'm gonna have to buy a beater or something for this because having one car with me working in Natick and Kim in Marlboro and driving from Lunenburg is already getting annoing.

We will see how this goes. Got a few things to do, I'll keep you guys informed. Thanks for the support.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 05:39 AM
Evolved Member

If they're gonna pay off your IX and slide you into an X then good for you, man.

What did the rep say about not repairing the car under warranty?

I think theit deal might be underhanded anyway... they "deny" your claim, paint you into a corner, get you into an X (sales numbers for them) then replace your motor under warranty and resell it.

But, if it was me- I'd be jumping into that X with two feet forward! (make it a X MR, actually)
Old Sep 19, 2008, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

sleep > me

comp sci sucks.
lol... don't remind me... i stare at code all day :-\
Old Sep 19, 2008, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

This is why you dont get gas at a highway rest stop, they will interview you for things like laying off toll takers.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/video/17507405/

TurcoTV, FTMFW!

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread