Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2008, 06:38 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would have told him the exhaust is OEM. How would he even had known otherwise?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
I would have told him the exhaust is OEM. How would he even had known otherwise?
exactly..

Or say, it got replaced and this was cheaper than oem.. haha
Old Oct 2, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Dave,

So I looked at that thing again and the valuation IS on there. I was just blind temporarily or something.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Telling a cop your exhaust is OEM does not work these days. I tag along with my girl's father (Him being a Cop) sometimes and trust me he even knows the exhaust brands.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

the evo comes with enough "aftermarket" parts stock i would be hard pressed for a cop to know otherwise.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by DocCola
god that really got my blood pressure up, I feel bad for you Paul, seriously. I would rather go through the head ache with my car the past 2+ weeks than what you face with a damn fix it ticket for something so stupid.

don't ever see mustangs or harleys pulled over by the staties for their friggen exhaust, but look, there goes a young guy in an Evo, I'm gonna pull his *** over because I can!

Ugh....i need another ciggerette already!
don't forget cadillacs....

i'm with you though- i think the fact that bikes can run around with ABSURD amounts of noise coming out of them is well...absurd.

there should be a decibel limit for EVERYTHING. plain and simple. there is a procedure defined to measure noise levels from an exhaust and it should be employed federally. just like emission standards should be. CARB should die a painful death.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by MR Turco
the evo comes with enough "aftermarket" parts stock i would be hard pressed for a cop to know otherwise.
what i don't get is that everyone knows the law and then they are shocked when they get tickets....i know people who have gotten pulled over with stock exhausts which is pure and simple BS, but if you modify an exhaust and it's clearly louder than stock, you are going to get pulled over at some point. unfortunately, that's the way it is.

i got a ticket in the mail and was never pulled over, which is BS. if you want to give me a ticket, fine, but don't be so lazy as to not even get out of your car and simply mail it to me.

it actually seems like things are getting more and more strict around here. then again, at least we don't have CARB to content with like the people in CA. that would truly suck. you wouldn't be able to pass emissions with simple bolt ons like an intake.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Paul, I've been through this before and won.

1st...exhaust ticket is a moving violation here...don't forget that. If you don't fight it, your insurance WILL go up.

2nd...it's illegal to make your car louder than stock... there's an old article with some dB readings in it and a stock exhaust evo put out 92dB. The Tanabe operates UNDER 93 dB (of course, this is the catback only).

3rd...It's not illegal to replace your exhaust with an OEM equivalent (it IS illegal to replace a functioning cat, however)... you'll need to demonstrate to the magistrate that you chose the tanabe as an OEM-equivalent exhaust and it's function (and market strategy) is to be a quiet exhaust. Bring the cert, print out the website showing that they intend it to be a quiet exhaust.

Where the heck were you when this happened? I rarely see staties between your place and mine...

Also, did you get on it a little when you left DD?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by crazymikie
what i don't get is that everyone knows the law and then they are shocked when they get tickets....i know people who have gotten pulled over with stock exhausts which is pure and simple BS, but if you modify an exhaust and it's clearly louder than stock, you are going to get pulled over at some point. unfortunately, that's the way it is.

i got a ticket in the mail and was never pulled over, which is BS. if you want to give me a ticket, fine, but don't be so lazy as to not even get out of your car and simply mail it to me.

it actually seems like things are getting more and more strict around here. then again, at least we don't have CARB to content with like the people in CA. that would truly suck. you wouldn't be able to pass emissions with simple bolt ons like an intake.
I agree, the risk is the cost of doing business. The trick is just to know how to fight it. If i got the sentra exhaust ticket thrown out the you should be fine paul.

I just think the exhaust law is so dumb. They need a DB limit and that is it, the law in current form is dumb.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:14 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by avengerhed
Paul, I've been through this before and won.

1st...exhaust ticket is a moving violation here...don't forget that. If you don't fight it, your insurance WILL go up.

2nd...it's illegal to make your car louder than stock... there's an old article with some dB readings in it and a stock exhaust evo put out 92dB. The Tanabe operates UNDER 93 dB (of course, this is the catback only).

3rd...It's not illegal to replace your exhaust with an OEM equivalent (it IS illegal to replace a functioning cat, however)... you'll need to demonstrate to the magistrate that you chose the tanabe as an OEM-equivalent exhaust and it's function (and market strategy) is to be a quiet exhaust. Bring the cert, print out the website showing that they intend it to be a quiet exhaust.

Where the heck were you when this happened? I rarely see staties between your place and mine...

Also, did you get on it a little when you left DD?
Thx Davids.

It was just bad luck. I didn't get on it at all. I pulled out at a normal speed then i noticed the car behind the one pulling into Dunkins bombed around him and was right on my *** and it was a cop.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Which DD? That guy must've had a real hardon this morning... i really don't think the tanabe is THAT loud...
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hm... I have a catless setup and I've only gotten nabbed for tints (like 3+ times). I decided to get a muffler setup that looks like a stock setup however its clearly catless... Though when I'm cruising with the throttle at a level that will keep the car moving at the same pace you can barely hear the exhaust even with the catless setup.

I guess its cause my car's too slow to get pulled over. Though I did get yelled at a cop once for doing 35mph in a 35mph zone and he was stuck behind me for about 5 miles... doing 35mph haha. Just to give you guys some justice, my dad's a city detective and he pulls staties over all the time and gives them tickets :-)

DoxCola - there isn't a problem wearing the uniform, I'd sure as hell wear it if I earned it. How's the car situation btw?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

is this dunkins in northboro on 20?
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:18 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

paul just dont mention any of the other exhaust parts were changed.
Old Oct 2, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Westboro has all the parts for my car to be put back together, hell, they have had them since monday afternoon, but the tech who does all the Evo work was sent to NJ for training until tomorrow so my car *should* be back up and running by tuesday i hope!

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread