Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:17 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What to know why your evo feels like it hits a brick wall when it isn't warmed up?

This is the timing map it interpolates with when the engine is cold. Real nice...

Attached Thumbnails Worcester/Boston Social Thread-col-ign.jpg  
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MyEvoDream
Kenny, some of the photos from Friday night on the way to NED, for you bud...
Paul, Can I get those pics in bigger sizes, like 1400x1050 and 1680x1050 ?
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:20 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I am partial to the last one. Nice pics paul!
yeah i love the pics paul. and the last one is my fav!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:31 AM

What to know why your evo feels like it hits a brick wall when it isn't warmed up?

This is the timing map it interpolates with when the engine is cold. Real nice...

Weird...pulling 30° of timing makes a difference, huh

Thanks Mitsu!!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by IMR-TIM
Single dad= >5 hours of sleep per night + beers + 5,000 calorie breakfast @ IHOP = cuddling in the back of teh ECHO at 3am
and you didn't call me.

*****!
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Marshall O
Weird...pulling 30° of timing makes a difference, huh

Thanks Mitsu!!
retarding timing that much will cause fuel to burn well outside of the exhaust ports and cause EGTs to skyrocket since flame propagation will be incomplete. my guess is it is their way of warming up a big slab of cast iron that you folks call a bottom end.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 06:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by crazymikie
retarding timing that much will cause fuel to burn well outside of the exhaust ports and cause EGTs to skyrocket since flame propagation will be incomplete. my guess is it is their way of warming up a big slab of cast iron that you folks call a bottom end.
I turned it off k? You are probably right but from what i noticed with it turned off is the car actually warms up quicker.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:02 AM

I turned it off k? You are probably right but from what i noticed with it turned off is the car actually warms up quicker.
in that case, change the temperature threshold and use it as antilag....
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:06 AM
Evolved Member

I wish I could understand what your showing there, but it's all way above my head, even after reading that threads you pointed me to a week or so ago. I won't even go into my ECU because I'm to scared to mess something up.

I bought my cable with the intention of learning it and what not, but I'm to scared to mess up my car.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by DocCola
I wish I could understand what your showing there, but it's all way above my head, even after reading that threads you pointed me to a week or so ago. I won't even go into my ECU because I'm to scared to mess something up.

I bought my cable with the intention of learning it and what not, but I'm to scared to mess up my car.
conceptually it's not that hard. you just need to be patient and work slowly and make sure your changes make sense. also, a lot of people forget to try a lot of different conditions- what happens if you mash the throttle at 5000 RPM, what happens if you are power shifting the car, what happens if you are in a steady cruise and roll onto the throttle.

a lot of the internet tunes i have seen either tune WOT only, or try and tune the rest of the maps incorrectly. sadly, it's because most people want to pay to get a bigass dyno number and don't care about anything else, so i think that's the effect it has had on the tuning market.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

conceptually it's not that hard. you just need to be patient and work slowly and make sure your changes make sense. also, a lot of people forget to try a lot of different conditions- what happens if you mash the throttle at 5000 RPM, what happens if you are power shifting the car, what happens if you are in a steady cruise and roll onto the throttle.

a lot of the internet tunes i have seen either tune WOT only, or try and tune the rest of the maps incorrectly. sadly, it's because most people want to pay to get a bigass dyno number and don't care about anything else, so i think that's the effect it has had on the tuning market.
+1

sooo many conditions... nevermind whether...

do any cars read ait temp/humidity and adjust their maps accordingly? that seems like a logical next step to me... other than having a "cold engine" map
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Paulnsx
+1

sooo many conditions... nevermind whether...

do any cars read ait temp/humidity and adjust their maps accordingly? that seems like a logical next step to me... other than having a "cold engine" map
you have an intake temp sensor that is used to trim timing i believe. i don't know about boost.

on the subaru, there were compensations for most everything (barometric pressure, intake air temp, etc). a lot of them weren't even used from the factory if that's any indication of how complex the subaru ecu is. those are independent of the coolant temp compensation maps.

albeit one of the most sophisticated ecus, subaru's achillies heel is the fact that the IAT sensor is pre turbo, whereas it should ideally be post-intercooler.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:20 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

What is really unfortunate is that the evo is pretty limited on what can be tuned. There is no stock boost control so all there really is to tune is timing and fuel. Tip in (accell enrichment) has yet to be properly discovered and they are continuing to find numerous other tables so until then the evo is pretty dumb to tune. Which doesn't seem to be a bad thing since people are making a ton of power on limited capabilities.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KGHtheII
Paul, Can I get those pics in bigger sizes, like 1400x1050 and 1680x1050 ?
Kenny, ya, I'll try to get those for you at some point tonight.
Old Oct 7, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

What is really unfortunate is that the evo is pretty limited on what can be tuned. There is no stock boost control so all there really is to tune is timing and fuel. Tip in (accell enrichment) has yet to be properly discovered and they are continuing to find numerous other tables so until then the evo is pretty dumb to tune. Which doesn't seem to be a bad thing since people are making a ton of power on limited capabilities.
Maybe you already know, but the X has stock boost control. I know you arent really concerned with the X, but just FYI.

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread