Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dex why dont you spend the day fixoring your car?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
My grandparents always had one. They are uber expensive and break all the time. Not to mention they are subject to leaks and animals eating through them and causing issues. They are a wicked PITA.

My mom has had a kenmore vacuum, same one i have, that she has had for like 7 years now. Her whole house is cleaned every other week too. She has had a couple of problems but the service plan covers everything at sears.
The one we just bought is a Kenmore and it's awful. I mean, we barely use it and it's already down on suction. Even out of the box, the suction through the hand tool (that's what she said) was really poor.

We shall see. I've read a lot of good things about the central vac systems and the specs on power really blows the floor vacs out of the water. Also I could definitely understand problems with leaks/animals with vinyl or soft piping but I'd be doing all the plumbing with PVC.

I still dunno yet... but i appreciate the input (that's what she said).
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

dex why dont you spend the day fixoring your car?
ZOMG YES.

Dextor, I promise you... if you do not fix it soon, we will take your keys and take matters into our own hands...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by avengerhed
The one we just bought is a Kenmore and it's awful. I mean, we barely use it and it's already down on suction. Even out of the box, the suction through the hand tool (that's what she said) was really poor.

We shall see. I've read a lot of good things about the central vac systems and the specs on power really blows the floor vacs out of the water. Also I could definitely understand problems with leaks/animals with vinyl or soft piping but I'd be doing all the plumbing with PVC.

I still dunno yet... but i appreciate the input (that's what she said).
I guess you have some crazy requirement for your vacuum cleaners. The Kenmore i have and my mom has seems to pick up dirt plenty fine. It has a ton of suction coming from the hose (thats what she said)
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

I guess you have some crazy requirement for your vacuum cleaners. The Kenmore i have and my mom has seems to pick up dirt plenty fine. It has a ton of suction coming from the hose (thats what she said)
No way, man. I'm easy to please in the suction department (that's what he said), the vacuum just does a terrible job of picking anything up...

It won't pick up pine needles, crumbs, tiny wood shavings... hell, the other night it couldn't even suck up a dead bee. And this was with a freshly cleaned dirt cup.

Maybe you can check it out when you come over...maybe I just got a defective one but I think it's really awful. The best vacuum I ever had was an old Panasonic bagged upright... the thing was just phenomenal but after a solid 12 years of service (used to be my parents') it finally kicked the bucket. I've yet to find anything that comes close.

My shop-vac works great, tho!
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:16 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

No way, man. I'm easy to please in the suction department (that's what he said), the vacuum just does a terrible job of picking anything up...

It won't pick up pine needles, crumbs, tiny wood shavings... hell, the other night it couldn't even suck up a dead bee. And this was with a freshly cleaned dirt cup.

Maybe you can check it out when you come over...maybe I just got a defective one but I think it's really awful. The best vacuum I ever had was an old Panasonic bagged upright... the thing was just phenomenal but after a solid 12 years of service (used to be my parents') it finally kicked the bucket. I've yet to find anything that comes close.

My shop-vac works great, tho!
yeah too bad it sounds like the world is ending when you turn it on. You could always get a small honda motor and use that. I mean what else are they good for other than sucking?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolving Member

When do you guys typically put snow tires on around these parts? Can you make it to Xmas?
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KGHtheII
When do you guys typically put snow tires on around these parts? Can you make it to Xmas?
No! I always have mine on by the 3rd week in November.

I usually shoot for the first week in November.

Even without snow on the ground, the Advans start to perform like doodie in the cold.

If you haven't shopped for snow tires yet, I recommend you do so now, before they go out of stock. And do yourself a favor- get them mounted on some cheap rims so you can do the changeover yourself...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

No! I always have mine on by the 3rd week in November.

I usually shoot for the first week in November.

Even without snow on the ground, the Advans start to perform like doodie in the cold.

If you haven't shopped for snow tires yet, I recommend you do so now, before they go out of stock. And do yourself a favor- get them mounted on some cheap rims so you can do the changeover yourself...
Well I think I might do it on Thanksgiving then. I live in an apartment up here. Dont really have anywhere to store tires. I was thinking about just using the BBSs. I know I will have to pay to get the tires mounted, but if I mess up the wheels over the winter, it will just be more reason to upgrade and they can be my winter wheels.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Well I think I might do it on Thanksgiving then. I live in an apartment up here. Dont really have anywhere to store tires. I was thinking about just using the BBSs. I know I will have to pay to get the tires mounted, but if I mess up the wheels over the winter, it will just be more reason to upgrade and they can be my winter wheels.
Please buy a second set of rims...

**** if storage is really the issue you could probably throw the BBSs in my garage for the winter. I thought u had a garage???
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PlayinWithFire
mehhhh who wants to help me rebalance a BST using the median... I hate java. I asked my teacher if I could just hand in my stuff in perl but he wont let me.

in other news, I was in the ricer section of autozone and picked this up for my dual quad core machine:

4x4 ftw

and yes thats a subwoofer grille on my fan lol. Ghetto rig fo' sho'
eh... you got a 4x4 badge for your quad core system?

JAVA is easy, send me a PM if you need help.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Paulnsx
Please buy a second set of rims...

**** if storage is really the issue you could probably throw the BBSs in my garage for the winter. I thought u had a garage???
Ive already got curb rash on the one wheel...
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by beyonddc
eh... you got a 4x4 badge for your quad core system?

JAVA is easy, send me a PM if you need help.
nope... i got a 4x4 badge for my dual quad core... octa core? lol. All courtesy of Yales 23 billion dollar endowment. I host a couple back up VMs for them and they finance the computer. I think its a fair trade.

Yea java is easy... just the tedious part gets to me.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

I'd strongly advise against going with the 1-rim/2-tire approach. I really don't think that there's a wheel shop around here that you can trust to mount/unmount your tires 2 times a year without screwing up the rims. Also, you run the risk of bead leakage as you constantly mount/dismount tires and you really don't want to be getting a flat in the evo.

Also, think of it this way:

You buy your snow tires and they arrive, now you pay $75 for mount and balance, then in the spring, $75 for mount and balance... that's $150 a year. You can pay for a set of winter rims in 2-3 years.

Also, tires are not going to take up less space than tires+rims. find a spot to stack them up in your apartment or bring them home to PA. It will be well worth the money. Trust me.

Plus, you can get a nice package with mount/balance for free so that when they show up, all you need to so is bolt them on. If you're uncomfortable doing the first changeover yourself, I can give you a hand.
Old Oct 9, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

curb rash is understandable on a wheel... i got it on my bumper

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread