Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTF mate! Fox ad in Pandora. Thats new
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beavis820
no you have to pay as your not a man of color.
clearly you have not seen turco from the waist down.

Ah new!!!! Ahm beeched iz brew! got any plinkton? --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVHZwI8pcA

Last edited by EvoBroMA; Jan 20, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:40 PM

I go home now!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Marshall O
I go home now!
My first and only post on this slow a$$ day...

Right behind ya Marshall.....well....not like that...I meant I'm leaving in 10!
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Golfa
Vegas - you need to go this weekend. You never know if the ice thickness is going to change or not in the coming weeks. No one wants to steal your Acura anyways.
it will be fine, this winter has been very cold and I am not worried if I can't make it on the first event. I like to go in a straight line anyways

Originally Posted by beavis820
i should have gotten the ipod touch. that would mount right onto the side of my m4! or the new toy that i'm going to be building
me likey!!

Originally Posted by japordie
who are these guys?
who are you??

Originally Posted by MR Turco
this totally means i can stop paying my mortgage, right?
yup, just send the money to me, I will make sure the payment goes through...

Originally Posted by dexmix

Originally Posted by dexmix
clearly you have not seen turco from the waist down.

Ah new!!!! Ahm beeched iz brew! got any plinkton? --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdVHZwI8pcA
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Golfa
I watched Obama stumble during the oath. Cheney look like an evil villain in the wheelchair. Bush be gracious throughout the entire event. John Kerry act like a douche. McCain crying. And our tax dollars **** away when in 2005 the Media bashed Bush's $50 mil inauguration - hypocrisy?

oh also: I watched the ignorant people in the crowd "boo" Bush and sing "nah nah goooodbye" - classy people we gots in our country!

edit2: I think this woman was in the crowd: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P36x8rTb3jI
Damn unemployeed republican's always getting numbers wrong.
According to
a more accurate source, they were not comparing the numbers correct at all...
Here's why using the $160 million number and comparing it with Bush's 2005 costs represented a classic apples-and-oranges assessment: For years, the press routinely referred to the cost of presidential inaugurations by calculating how much money was spent on the swearing-in and the social activities surrounding that. The cost of the inauguration's security was virtually never factored into the final tab, as reported by the press. For instance, here's The Washington Post from January 20, 2005, addressing the Bush bash:

The $40 million does not include the cost of a web of security, including everything from 7,000 troops to volunteer police officers from far away, to some of the most sophisticated detection and protection equipment.

For decades, that represented the norm in terms of calculating inauguration costs: Federal dollars spent on security were not part of the commonly referred-to cost. (The cost of Obama's inauguration, minus the security costs? Approximately $45 million.) What's happening this year: The cost of the Obama inauguration and the cost of the security are being combined by some in order to come up with the much larger tab. Then, that number is being compared with the cost of the Bush inauguration in 2005, minus the money spent on security.

In other words, it's the unsubstantiated Obama cost of $160 million (inauguration + security) compared with the Bush cost of 42 million (inauguration, excluding security). Those are two completely different calculations being compared side-by-side, by Fox & Friends, among others, to support the phony claim that Obama's inauguration is $100 million more expensive than Bush's.

That's why the right-wing site Newsmax.com confidently reported that Obama's swearing-in would cost "nearly four times what George Bush's inauguration cost four years ago." So did Flopping Aces, a shining light of the right-wing blogosphere:

President Barack Obama's inauguration next week is set to be the most expensive ever, predicted to reach over $150m. This dwarfs the $42.3m spent on George Bush's inauguration in 2005 and the $33m spent on Bill Clinton's in 1993.

If portions of the press and the blogosphere want to now suggest that the cost of security should also be factored into the final tab for presidential inaugurations, they need to go back and recalculate the cost for Bush's 2005 swearing-in in order to have an honest comparison. Because with security included, the 2005 inauguration cost a lot more than $42 million -- just as with security factored in, Obama's will also cost a lot more than $45 million. (The final tab, though, likely won't be known for months.)

The question for the press then becomes: How much did the government spend on security for Bush's 2005 inauguration? How much did it cost for the wartime administration's unprecedented move to turn the nation's capital into something akin to an armed fortress, with snipers on rooftops, planes flying overhead, Humvee-mounted anti-aircraft missiles dotting the city, and manholes cemented shut?

Back in January 2005, that figure was impossible to come by. "U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said last week that he was unable to estimate security costs for the inauguration," The Washington Times reported. The cross-town Washington Post also had no luck in 2005 finding out the cost of security: "[Government] spokesmen said they could not provide an estimate of what the inauguration will cost the federal government."

However, buried in a recent New York Times article published one week before the controversy erupted over the cost of Obama's inauguration, the newspaper reported that in 2005, "the federal government and the District of Columbia spent a combined $115.5 million, most of it for security, the swearing-in ceremony, cleanup and for a holiday for federal workers" [emphasis added].

You read that correctly. The federal government spent $115 million dollars for the 2005 inauguration. Keep in mind, that $115 million price tag was separate from the money Bush backers bundled to put on the inauguration festivities. For that, they raised $42 million. So the bottom line for Bush's 2005 inauguration, including the cost of security? That's right, $157 million.

Unless the Obama inauguration tab (including security) ends up costing $630 million, we can safely say it certainly won't cost four times what the Bush bash did in 2005. And unless the Obama inauguration tab (including security) runs to $257 million, we can safely say the event won't cost $100 million more than Bush's, as Fox & Friends claimed.

The Wall Street Journal

“We have a budget of roughly $45 million, maybe a little bit more,” Linda Douglass, spokeswoman for the inaugural committee. That’s more than the $42.3 million in private funds spent by President Bush’s committee in 2005 or the $33 million spent for Bill Clinton in 1993.
Despite all the donations, Obama’s team has made donations much more restrictive than in the past, it noted, saying Obama capped donations at $50,000 per person, compared to $250,000 cap President Bush had at his last inauguration.
ABC news
Crowd size was quite a bit bigger

We also must consider crowd size. When Lyndon B. Johnson took his oath of office in 1965, roughly 1.2 million people turned up. Until Obama, that record turnout would not be surpassed. Bill Clinton drew 800,000 for his first term, and a mere 250,000 for his second. George W. Bush packed in 400,000 for his first solemn swearing, and about 100,000 fewer than that for his second.

Estimates for Obama's crowd range anywhere from 2-4 million. That's a whole lot more porta-potties to rent.
Don't forget also
Bush’s Legacy Of Squandering Taxpayer Money and his great approval rating

Bush left the presidency with the lowest approval rating of any president except Richard Nixon, according to a new New York Times/CBS poll, which put Bush's final rating at 22 percent
IRAQ RECONSTRUCTION

-$142 million wasted on reconstruction projects that were either terminated or canceled. [Special Inspector General for Iraq, 7/28/08]

-“Significant” amount of U.S. funds for Iraq funneled to Sunni and Shiite militias. [GAO Comptroller, 3/11/08]

-$180 million payed to construction company Bechtel for projects it never finished. [Federal audit, 7/25/07]

-$5.1 billion in expenses for Iraq reconstruction charged without documentation. [Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction report, 3/19/07]

-$10 billion in spending on Iraq reconstruction was wasteful or poorly tracked. [GAO, 2/15/07]

-Halliburton overcharged the government $100 million for one day’s work in 2004. [Project on Government Oversight, 10/8/04]

KATRINA

-Millions wasted on four no-bid contracts, including paying $20 million for an unusable camp for evacuees. [Homeland Security Department Inspector General, 9/10/08]

-$2.4 billion in contracts doled out by FEMA that guaranteed profits for big companies. [Center for Public Integrity investigation, 6/25/07]

-An estimated $2 billion in fraud and waste — nearly 11 percent of the $19 billion spent by FEMA on Hurricanes Katrina and Rita as of mid-June. [New York Times tally, 6/27/06]

-“Widespread” waste and mismanagement on millions for Katrina recovery, including at least $3 million for 4,000 beds that were never used. [GAO, 3/16/06]

DEFENSE CONTRACTS

-A $50 million Air Force contract awarded to a company with close ties to senior Air Force officers, in a process “fraught with improper influence, irregular procedures, glaring conflicts of interest.” [Project on Government Oversight, 4/18/08]

-$1.7 billion in excessive fees and waste paid by the Pentagon to the Interior Department to manage federal lands. [Defense Department and Interior Department Inspectors General audit, 12/25/06]

-$1 trillion unaccounted for by the Pentagon, including 56 airplanes, 32 tanks, and 36 Javelin missile command launch-units. [GAO, 5/18/03]

Last edited by 1slowevo; Jan 20, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old Jan 20, 2009, 06:50 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bam!

Don't even start posting youtube videos of "ignorant" obama videos. Most of the McCain rallies down south and out in the midwest REEEEAAAAAALLY had the potential of being full blown clan rallies.

Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

i just skimmed your post vegas, but i like it
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:50 PM
Evolving Member

For Vegas:
Old Jan 20, 2009, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KGHtheII
For Vegas:

Old Jan 20, 2009, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Phew that was close.. I saw got milk just as my boss was gonna walk by. Yay for Alt + Tab....

Anyone know where I can find high impedence ~300cc injectors? My co-worker just came up to me and asked.. I'm dumbfounded about his explaination as to why he needed them, but yea.

I could use some milk in my coffee.. I double brewed it and its giving my heart a jump start and my stomach a rough morning.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 04:57 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i don't believe any of the numbers. The fact is we weren't in a global recession when bush took office. Wasting any amount of tax payer money should have been foregone by whoever took office.
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:09 AM
Evolved Member

He saw his expense for his inauguration as free money to spend on whatever he wanted...kind of like the check that comes on the 8th of every month, follwed by the stamps

...Mornin guys!!
Old Jan 21, 2009, 05:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IMR-TIM
He saw his expense for his inauguration as free money to spend on whatever he wanted...kind of like the check that comes on the 8th of every month, follwed by the stamps

...Mornin guys!!
hahaha i <3 tim

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread