Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2009, 04:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DocCola
maybe lower rebuild cost but I've heard they are a lot worse for daily driveability which I need. I have had 3 surgerys on my left knee including an ACL replacement, so I need something I can handle in dead traffic on a day that my knee is killing me...know what I mean? This single disc is right below what I would consider my comfort threashold.
In your case the Excedy twin is almost a necessity lol

You're a much smarter man than I, after I broke my knee in highschool I'd rip off the leg brace to drive the 2g dsm with the act 2600. Needless to say I have a few surgeries lined up in the near future.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tvieira24
I've read of issues related to what you're describing with the twin discs as well. It seems like they only happen in the cold but for now I'd probably try to raise the engagement a bit:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-nuetral.html

Personally I think $1500 is too much for a clutch so I'll prob stick with an ACT HDSS but if I was going twin disc I'd go with the Quartermaster twin due to the lower rebuild costs.
this has been happening to me for 4 years - stock clutch, most noticeable when it's cold.

This is not the problem that Ajay is talking about. He is using confusing terms.

Your clutch is Engaged when the pedal is OUT. You disengage the clutch by pressing the pedal IN. Ajay seems to indicate that his clutch is disengaging- or, slipping- while he drives.
Old Jan 27, 2009, 05:46 PM

basterds. why didnt they do this when i had a car that i could do it in.

Last edited by Smike; Jan 28, 2009 at 06:46 AM. Reason: inappropriate
Old Jan 27, 2009, 06:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
got the emanage out of the sentra today. Time to makes it for sales
Old Jan 27, 2009, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by avengerhed
this has been happening to me for 4 years - stock clutch, most noticeable when it's cold.

This is not the problem that Ajay is talking about. He is using confusing terms.

Your clutch is Engaged when the pedal is OUT. You disengage the clutch by pressing the pedal IN. Ajay seems to indicate that his clutch is disengaging- or, slipping- while he drives.
I think I am being very misinterpreted. What happens is as I start from a stop letting out on the clutch and easing onto the gas once I feel the clutch pedal all the way up and take my foot off it the car feels as though the clutch is still slightly depressed...it hesitates off the line I guess would be the easiest way to put it. Really hard to describe honestly, especially since it only did it a few times on the way home and the first time I thought it was my screw up.

We will have to see if it does it tomorrow.

Josh, did you use your screws for your mudflaps? I thought I remember you saying you used something else to attach them. I ask because one of my screws came out (the one that goes on the inside of the mud flap...closest to the inside of the wheel well. I didn't know if you had an extra kicking around or if anyone knew the size of that screw (I remember one long one, but not how long or where it went.

Eh, I'm rambling. Time to shut it down and turn in.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 04:36 AM

So then your clutch is not fully disengaging? Have you bled your lines? Or it might need to be adjusted so it disengages earlier. On the Evo, the engagement point would change, but I could never figure out why it did. I got used to it though and drove on.

SFYL, DBAP.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:09 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I adjusted mine a year ago and it hasn't changed. I think your clutch is effed, like i said, 5 months ago.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Speaking of which...is adjusting the clutch pedal difficult? My clutch catches too high...

....oh, Good Mornin guys!!!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:21 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by IMR-TIM
Speaking of which...is adjusting the clutch pedal difficult? My clutch catches too high...

....oh, Good Mornin guys!!!
it isn't that it is hard more that it is hard to get to. Then again i am literally twice the size of you. Just remember, a little goes a LONG way when it comes to adjusting the clutch. It is annoying that you cant figure out how much you adjusted it until you drive it but i still recommend doing it in small 1 turn increments.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crazymikie
just sniff the driver's seat. at least you have a story to tell.
I'm all set with that...smelling poo residue is not that cool...regardless the bum its frum

Originally Posted by MR Turco
it isn't that it is hard more that it is hard to get to. Then again i am literally twice the size of you. Just remember, a little goes a LONG way when it comes to adjusting the clutch. It is annoying that you cant figure out how much you adjusted it until you drive it but i still recommend doing it in small 1 turn increments.

Great!! When I replaced my clutch about 7k miles ago, it caught much higher then it did prior to clutch failure. And I have to adjust it. I will search it and tackle adjusting it one of these days.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 05:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
morning all!

The gvr4's 16G has a couple studs snapped on the bolts.. My buddy dropped it off at boston dyno to have them remove the studs, I'm starting to think the guy doesn't know what he's doing cause he had to go out and "buy a set of bits for it" since he snapped his regular set... thus he's charging me 80 extra for it!?
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

you should have taken it to a machine shop. not a performance shop.

good luck getting hardened bolts out of a turbo!
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:16 AM

Agreed, machine shop is definitely the way to go. The performance shop is just doing what you could do yourself with a drill...(which is a crappy job!) It was $90 to get two broken bolts/studs out of the hotside of the Evo turbo. For the price of a used 16g, you are way over paying. You could even get a brand new Evo III 16g for like $500...
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

+1

We went through 8 drill bits and 3 hours of BS drilling out a broken stud when I was installing my first ss exh manifold about 3 years ago. But that is what happens when you start on a friday night

If a bolt/stud in a turbo flange ever breaks on me again in any future repair, I will not attempt it myself. I will pay to have it done by a machine shop. It is a suck job.
Old Jan 28, 2009, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't my choice... I didn't even know about the snapped bolts until after I purchased the car.

The previous owner had the turbo at the shop already and assumed the shop could remove it. I'm starting to think otherwise.

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread