Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2009, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Paulnsx

that's pretty impressive that you've paid off half the car @ 19
thanks. It's due to the fact that I worked at night which paid me time and a half for every hour plus I was working 50+ hour weeks so I put a pretty big down payment on the car and I bought it used.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I disagree, if i was living at home with a decent income the car would be close to paid off. Not having rent + house bills FTMFW.
Well I pay rent and I have other bills other than the Evo and insurance. Whats sad is that my brother is 24 and still lives at home lol (Tony, don't tell him I said that haha.). I could sell the Evo but I rather not. It's always an option though if anyone would be interested.

Last edited by 19DB794; Mar 3, 2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh noes, Josh, don't sell the Evo! lol. I have no idea how to help you out man, but I know there are places to look for insurance. Only thing you might have to worry about is making to much money to qualify for them. Wish I had better advice man, but there has to be something out there for you. 300 a month sounds pretty steep, but I wouldn't be the best judge of that because I don't pay for my insurance, which is why I plan on doing my 20 (30 if I go officer, much bigger pension) that way I have insurance for life.

As for paying a car off quick, I have had my Evo less than 18 months and have it just over a 1/3rd of the way paid off and I plan on finishing that in the next 18 months.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 02:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DocCola
Oh noes, Josh, don't sell the Evo! lol. I have no idea how to help you out man, but I know there are places to look for insurance. Only thing you might have to worry about is making to much money to qualify for them. Wish I had better advice man, but there has to be something out there for you. 300 a month sounds pretty steep, but I wouldn't be the best judge of that because I don't pay for my insurance, which is why I plan on doing my 20 (30 if I go officer, much bigger pension) that way I have insurance for life.

As for paying a car off quick, I have had my Evo less than 18 months and have it just over a 1/3rd of the way paid off and I plan on finishing that in the next 18 months.
I'm really not planning on it. I'm actually looking at refinancing because right now if I get a decent rate from my bank, I can finance the car for a shorter term and still pay less. If my math is correct, the savings from refinancing will be more than enough to pay for insurance. I'm not broke by any means and I can survive paying for the Evo, Insurance, health insurance and all my other bills but I just like how my money situation is now and I can live comfortable. It just sucks that all of a sudden im practically force to pay over 3 grand a year for something I don't use. I havent used my health insurance since I was a freshman in H.S. but knowing that if I fall from a ladder or get hurt at work and have no health insurance, then im screwed.

I just need to find out if there are any restrictions on refinancing a car because I've only had my Evo for 10 months. Might sound stupid but I've never dealt with anything such as refinancing so I don't know much about it.

Last edited by 19DB794; Mar 3, 2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

FYI The MA Health Insurance Penalty is stepped.

Federal AGI exceeds 150% FPL but does not exceed 200% FPL. Monthly penalty is $17.50.
Federal AGI exceeds 200% FPL but does not exceed 250% FPL. Monthly penalty is $35.00.
Federal AGI exceeds 250% FPL but does not exceed 300% FPL. Monthly penalty is $52.50.
Federal AGI exceeds 300% FPL and taxpayer is age 18 to 26. Monthly penalty is $56.00.
Federal AGI exceeds 300% FPL and taxpayer is at least 27. Monthly penalty is $76.00.

IMO If you have half the car paid for (and something hasn't drastically changed with your credit history), I would refinance. I refinanced my wife car in the same way after a spell of unemployment and making only 60% what I had been making to free up some extra money.

When I was your age, I just would have paid it off if I had the savings. However I have learned through spells of unemployment, I like to have a little bit of buffer in my savings.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dgoodhue

Federal AGI exceeds 150% FPL but does not exceed 200% FPL. Monthly penalty is $17.50.
Federal AGI exceeds 200% FPL but does not exceed 250% FPL. Monthly penalty is $35.00.
Federal AGI exceeds 250% FPL but does not exceed 300% FPL. Monthly penalty is $52.50.
Federal AGI exceeds 300% FPL and taxpayer is age 18 to 26. Monthly penalty is $56.00.
Federal AGI exceeds 300% FPL and taxpayer is at least 27. Monthly penalty is $76.00.

IMO If you have half the car paid for (and something hasn't drastically changed with your credit history), I would refinance. I refinanced my wife car in the same way after a spell of unemployment and making only 60% what I had been making to free up some extra money.

When I was your age, I just would have paid it off if I had the savings. However I have learned through spells of unemployment, I like to have a little bit of buffer in my savings.
Oh yeah AGI (Adjust Gross Income), FPL (Federal Poverty Level). I don't know what the single FPL is but for Married Couple income its $14,004.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dgoodhue

Thats exactly why I dont wanna wipe my savings. Also I dont know how my credit stands. I bought the car at 18 with no credit. So I have a loan, cell phone and a credit card under my name and I've never missed a payment and I always pay my bills way before they're due. So im clueless on what my credit score looks like but I doubt it's high. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.

On another note, I'm a little pissed because it looks like someone decided to key my back bumper. I dont know why someone would wanna key my back bumper but I have several marks going across it. Maybe ill get a JDM bumper after all and I still gotta call Westboro Mitsu. I dont know if they'll believe me though lol because you can only see the condensation after it rains or snows.

Last edited by 19DB794; Mar 3, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 19DB794
Thats exactly why I dont wanna wipe my savings. Also I dont know how my credit stands. I bought the car at 18 with no credit. So I have a loan, cell phone and a credit card under my name and I've never missed a payment and I always pay my bills way before they're due. So im clueless on what my credit score looks like but I doubt it's high. Thanks for the info though, I appreciate it.
you can get one free (and i mean Actually free, not sign up for this service type of thing) credit report per year at www.annualcreditreport.com
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Thats exactly why I dont wanna wipe my savings. Also I dont know how my credit stands. I bought the car at 18 with no credit. So I have a loan, cell phone and a credit card under my name and I've never missed a payment and I always pay my bills way before they're due.
Your credit should be fine as long as you have no late payments. It should be in theory better than when you bought your car and they gave you a loan, though the financial sector has gone through a lot of changes since then.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I believe the law is every employer has to offer it.
nope. if you don't have health insurance you get dinged on your state taxes.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:47 PM

On another note, I'm a little pissed because it looks like someone decided to key my back bumper. I dont know why someone would wanna key my back bumper but I have several marks going across it. Maybe ill get a JDM bumper after all and I still gotta call Westboro Mitsu. I dont know if they'll believe me though lol because you can only see the condensation after it rains or snows.
you could try aaa for a loan if you are a member. when i bought my car, they had a better rate than anyone else. it can't hurt to apply for a loan. if you are turned down, you are entitled to a free credit report anyway.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I pay rent and I have other bills other than the Evo and insurance. Whats sad is that my brother is 24 and still lives at home lol (Tony, don't tell him I said that haha.). I could sell the Evo but I rather not. It's always an option though if anyone would be interested.
haha no worries i wont say ne thing lol well it sux to see what your saying but iv been paying health ins too and it sux, also i had a meeting after work about how our health ins is going up too
Old Mar 3, 2009, 05:01 PM

Definitely try AAA if you can. Looks like your rate would be 4.59% for 60 months, which would be awesome and is likely far less than you could find elsewhere!

As far as not using health insurance, I haven't used my health insurance for ANYTHING in the last 6 years (not even a physical or any prescriptions) but I like knowing that if anything ever happened (car accident, etc), I wouldn't screw myself or my family financially. Sucks, but it is life.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 05:18 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Marshall O
Definitely try AAA if you can. Looks like your rate would be 4.59% for 60 months, which would be awesome and is likely far less than you could find elsewhere!

As far as not using health insurance, I haven't used my health insurance for ANYTHING in the last 6 years (not even a physical or any prescriptions) but I like knowing that if anything ever happened (car accident, etc), I wouldn't screw myself or my family financially. Sucks, but it is life.
since the car is an 06 he will most likely get 1-2% higher which still isn't bad.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

dexter!!!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=...s&query=reggie

thats the show we were at

holy **** i wanna see reggie again...

Last edited by Paulnsx; Mar 3, 2009 at 05:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread