Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i am going to call eric at ams and have him overnight one
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

anone use courtsey mits? ran onto their website, seems alot better than others around here
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

dave the drums did have issues also (broken foot pedals, and pressure plate issues I believe)
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i havent but heard good things
Old Jan 16, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Unless Tim has one i think you are out of luck in this thread. Dave was going to pick up the AMS one but hasnt done so yet.
I personally don;t own one yet. I plan to in the future. Mitsu did my timing belt service when I was having issues last winter. My tensioner was bad and caused my belt to jump 2 teeth. That sucked. Got new belts, tensioner, etc...5 year 60k mile powertrain warranty FTW!!!

Our techs have said tool, but I wouldn't be able to lend it, sorry.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:34 AM

my wire loom is here today....YAY

no more sea green speaker wires
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

those wires john got looked really nice.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:49 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Oh hai thar:

Originally Posted by mfred
Some time in the next couple weeks, I will hopefully be posting a how-to for feeding the WBO2 signal into the ECU so that EvoScan can log WBO2 without having to attach a serial cable between the wideband controller and the laptop. Fewer cables for logging, more stealth, easier logging. With this setup, the ground attachment point will be important to obtain accurate WBO2 data.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:50 AM

those wires john got looked really nice.
they were the high end stuff from monster cable. i didn't realize it but monster cable actualyl makes some nice stuff (as opposed the overpriced consumer crap they sell in bestbuy). they are oxygen free copper and definitely nicely made.

i used some teflon coated, silver/copper stranded wire. silver helps prevent oxidation and also has a lower resistance than copper, but it tends to cause skin effect, where the electrons move to the outer edges of it. that's why the silver coated copper strands are good. i just tinned the ends using some silver solder and hook them up like that. IIRC, i think the resistance of a 10 ft run of cable was around .02 - .03 ohm. normally, they say not to use more than .1 ohm, so you can see the benefit.

the best part is i think i paid like $50 for 100 ft of the stuff on ebay. it was mil/aero surplus from grumman i think. the only downside was the sea green
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:52 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I never really understood the difference between wires. I mean as long as there is no noise I have yet to hear the difference.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:01 AM

I never really understood the difference between wires. I mean as long as there is no noise I have yet to hear the difference.
i can actually hear the difference. even with the interconnects i used the other day, something kept bothering me after i hooked up the equalizer. when i enabled/disabled, i could definitely hear a difference, albeit i couldn't figure out what it was. i randomly turned the EQ on and off without looking and could hear the difference 3/3 times. that's good enough data for me.

the better the cable, the more power that gets to the speaker and the better the sound. most people probably couldn't hear the difference between different cables or even different stereo equipment. i'm going to have jon come and level everything with me so i can prove to myself that there is a difference.

of course, you can have a scientifically accurate setup and it could still sound like poo. i listened to some $15k speakers in the store right after some $1k speakers. although the $15k meridians could reproduce a wider range and were technically a better speaker, i would have taken the $1k ones no contest. the more expensive ones sounded cold and mechanical and were honestly not as pleasant to listen to.

after a certain point most of the stuff becomes really subjective. i'm a fan of trying to get the best sound/performance for the least amount of money. it's just like computer CPUs and whatnot- eventually, after you spend a certain amount of money, you'll see diminishing returns, if any at all.

case in point- i have a CD player i bought in 2000 when i graduated college. i think it ran $500-$600 back then. i would put it up against anything 2-3x the cost right now and i think it would be a really close race. it's very hard to find them today because no one really sells them. every now and again, you'll find something like this.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

as long as the sound doesnt cut out i am usually pretty content. I personally like the sound of vinyl anyway. Sound is warmer IMO.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:11 AM

as long as the sound doesnt cut out i am usually pretty content. I personally like the sound of vinyl anyway. Sound is warmer IMO.
vinyl is analog and there are no limitations, so that makes sense. it's just a shame lps are so delicate. i have a stash of them in basement- 90% of which are recordings that are out of print or never made it to CD to begin with. it just kills me to play them on my cheapass pioneer turntable. i've thought about digitizing them but never got around to it.

i was playing with a linn turntable in the store. i think the arm alone was $4k. it rotated on any axis so that it could always maintain ideal contact with the record. talk about crazy, eh?
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I have a really nice DJ table at my house with some very nice stylus'. there is a lot of crap that comes out on vinyl but a lot of music actually still is put on vinyl at least as a single. Jay gave me a linkin park LP from a couple of years ago.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

shocking.... http://houseofgrafix.net/index.php?p...mart&Itemid=26

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread