Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ugh! These guys are so ******* retarded. Coming into THIS thread and telling me that exhaust tix are not moving violations...

Bet i'm the only one that read the entire MGL!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Paul, how many miles are on your Evo? I was probably going to change pads and put in SS brake lines mid summer around 30K, I thought you had a lot less miles than me..?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

SS lines made a great improvement on the Evo...maybe the best $100 i spend on the car...it now has a phenomenal pedal feel...

My original brakes lasted 'till 33k miles at which point i did the SS lines, ATE super blue, generic rotor blanks, and hawk ceramics.

My next change, coming in the spring, will likely be to a slotted disc with the same hawk ceramic pads...the ceramics are NO GOOD FOR TRACK DAYS, though...si I'll likely pick up something more aggressive for weekend swaps.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have no rush on the brakes. I have read from a lot of the break gurus that the evo brakes other then the calipers are junk. If you want to upgrade the brakes do rotors and pads first and the lines last. I agree though, when you have a decent setup the braided lines are a world of difference. The sentra felt totally different when i did it on that so i can imagine it is even better on the evo given the larger brake setup.

I might be buying some racing pads from a buddy but i still want a street setup. I will probably end up with the axxis ultimates or hawk ceramics as their dust isnt corrosive.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MyEvoDream
Paul, how many miles are on your Evo? I was probably going to change pads and put in SS brake lines mid summer around 30K, I thought you had a lot less miles than me..?
I'll be ticking 15k very soon...

How long do stock pads usually last? I just made a rough guesstimate of 20k but I'm really not sure.

EDIT: david-san says 33k maybe i'll wait longer! i also do mainly highway and i downshift a lot

Last edited by Paulnsx; Jan 29, 2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:43 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

it really depends on how much you beat on your brakes. Lots of highway vs back roads, ect.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

and usually the rear pads in teh Evo go out first....

but you should be able to tell before they go...you ARE checking your brakes at every oil change, right?!?
Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:51 AM

Ok...some further clarifications about the DD. Right now I asked them if they had any Saturdays open late March/early April. If there is a time when it would work better for you, let me know. Not having parts in by the end of March is not an excuse; the track opens up the beginning of April! I am thinking maybe the April 5th or 12th would work best. But please let me know if this does or does not work for you!

Now as far as the actual day, if you are already planning on a day of tuning, (Mikie, etc) keep in mind this is going to be a great day to hang out whether you dyno or not. For $75 you get 3 pulls, lunch, and a great day (but keep in mind you can come even if you don't want to do any pulls as mentioned) Also, Bruce FWD will not be a problem. That's why I wanted people to put their car on the list so I know how many AWD/FWD/RWD(?) there will be.

So, let's tentatively plan on the first or second Sat in April. Throw your name on the list!

1. Marshall O. - Evo IX - Hour

2. avengerhed - Evo VIII - Hour

Old Jan 29, 2008, 09:51 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Paulnsx
i also do mainly highway and i downshift a lot
brakes are cheaper then a clutch buddy. use them! they are meant to stop the car.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MR Turco
brakes are cheaper then a clutch buddy. use them! they are meant to stop the car.
haha i know jacka$$

i downshift b/c i like to downshift, not to save my brakes!
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by avengerhed
Mikie, too bad you can't convert the basement into a true home theater setup. We saw an awesome home theater in the basemet of a house we considered purchasing. Dark walls with sound deadening installed, TV and speakers sunken into a wall (which had some access behind it). Surround sound speakers overhead and "starlight" fiber optic lighting in the ceiling. Huge couches, awesome. It was hot...

if only that place had a nice garage...
i thought about that, but the problem is there is a chimney right in the middle of the basement along with the furnace, and hot water tank. i could convert the workshop into a cool room, however, i like my workshop, so that's a no-go.

the room where the pool table is would work nicely, however, then the pool table wouldn't fit anywhere else. plus there are windows all over that room, which, i really like.

let's keep thinking.....
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Marshall, I am being hesitant on adding myself on the list. Reason being is that I need a full tune. I am not a tuner, nor do I know how to self tune yet, so I have to outsource that. I know Paul S, and anja (i think) are in need as well. So, before I add my name, I want to get myself squared away with that first. I don't want to pay for 3 pulls, or 1 hour, if my car is not ready. I will join the festivities and hang out. If my car is, or will be ready for it, I will hit you up and see if there is room left in the day to do so.
Old Jan 29, 2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I guess it depends where the new speakers are pointed. When you play music in your bedroom it is really loud but that could be because the volume is turned up due to the issues that you mentioned.
it's probably because there are vents all over for the heat. remember, there is a vent in my floor that goes directly into the kichen.

i could heat the garage and put a home theatre in there.....
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Paulnsx
haha i know jacka$$

i downshift b/c i like to downshift, not to save my brakes!

yea I'm guilty of being an avid downshifter...
Evolved Member

same here tim, I am by no means a tuner and am still learning basics as far as ecu stuff and logs go. Thus the reason I was really leaning towards Ivey. I would love if a group of us could go down on a friday night, get tuned saturday and head back. He quoted me a price for a basic tune with the mods I'll have by then and I could book it about a week or 2 in advance...pm me if you want any info or price stuff etc.

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread