Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avengerhed
Great price! Gosh. I am a little leary about gen1 solid state drives. That happens to be pretty far out of my budget. But, overall, a good deal. I has to talk to the boss.

You think it's legit...AKA, I won't get a knock on my door from the police in 6 weeks and get charged with receiving stolen property.

Also, I think I am more interested in a Macbook or MacbookPro with 4 GB ram...we shall see.
the reviews i saw of the solid state drives weren't very flattering IIRC.....
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Alright guys...need some advise if all possible...

In talks about bov/dv....I currently run a GReddy type RS dv. Which are kind of known for the diaphragm tearing under high psi and/or long term use. I am picking up a JDM IX MR valve sunday. Now Chris at AMS suggested I swap to this for the tune, but should consider 'crushing' it for it to hold more than 23psi. I have done a lot of reading last night and all this morning on this method. Has any of you done this 'crushing' or 'GusMod' (1st gen DSM mod) to your dv?

I do not want to run the risk of the Greddy's diaphragm tearing or not holding the desired psi during the tune, hence for the swap. But if Chris can get my car to 25psi, the stock JDM IX MR dv may start leaking around 23psi. I have read other people state their JDM IX MR valve suporting 28+ all day. I do not want to go spend another few hundred dollars on another valve. I thought I covered my **** when I stepped up teh the greddy, as its adjustable to support high psi. Only to find out recently they fail over long term/high psi use. My Greddy valve is working very well right now. But want to eliminate any possible risk of failure when I am being tuned.

I have read the methods and procedure to do the crushing, but am leary about attempting it solo. Any input would be very helpful.

TIA
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tim, don't crush it unless it starts leaking. if DSG knows the procedure - you can have them do it, i think it takes like 2 seconds to put it in a vice.

25psi shouldn't be a problem. maybe you can pressure test the DV and see how much psi it will hold before it leaks.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:58 AM

i crushed a wrx valve.

if you have a mityvac tool, you can hook it up and check to see how much vacuum is required to get teh valve to open. keep crushing it slightly, making sure that you don't push it past the point where it won't open any more. i used a small peen hammer and it worked fine.

Originally Posted by IMR-TIM

In talks about bov/dv....I currently run a GReddy type RS dv. Which are kind of known for the diaphragm tearing under high psi and/or long term use. I am picking up a JDM IX MR valve sunday. Now Chris at AMS suggested I swap to this for the tune, but should consider 'crushing' it for it to hold more than 23psi. I have done a lot of reading last night and all this morning on this method. Has any of you done this 'crushing' or 'GusMod' (1st gen DSM mod) to your dv?

I do not want to run the risk of the Greddy's diaphragm tearing or not holding the desired psi during the tune, hence for the swap. But if Chris can get my car to 25psi, the stock JDM IX MR dv may start leaking around 23psi. I have read other people state their JDM IX MR valve suporting 28+ all day. I do not want to go spend another few hundred dollars on another valve. I thought I covered my **** when I stepped up teh the greddy, as its adjustable to support high psi. Only to find out recently they fail over long term/high psi use. My Greddy valve is working very well right now. But want to eliminate any possible risk of failure when I am being tuned.

I have read the methods and procedure to do the crushing, but am leary about attempting it solo. Any input would be very helpful.

TIA
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

TIA

I ran a IX metal valve for while before switching to a forge unit.
No problems running higher boost (28-32)
If you want to crush one, its not hard, just gotta be careful like Mikie said. Dont go to far or it wont open at all.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dexmix
tim, don't crush it unless it starts leaking. if DSG knows the procedure - you can have them do it, i think it takes like 2 seconds to put it in a vice.

25psi shouldn't be a problem. maybe you can pressure test the DV and see how much psi it will hold before it leaks.
Originally Posted by crazymikie
i crushed a wrx valve.

if you have a mityvac tool, you can hook it up and check to see how much vacuum is required to get teh valve to open. keep crushing it slightly, making sure that you don't push it past the point where it won't open any more. i used a small peen hammer and it worked fine.
Yeah, we have all the required tools to test it here at the shop. I just wanted some more input from people I know that may have done this. I really don't want to do this 'crushing' method unless I absolutely have to. And then I will just let DSG do it, or swap back my greddy valve, which is adjustable, and run it for the tune only so I can reach the desired psi Chris wants. I just want to be prepared. And not have to worry about anything other than getting the car there, tuned, and being happy. Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

Thanks guys
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:15 AM

Great price! Gosh. I am a little leary about gen1 solid state drives. That happens to be pretty far out of my budget. But, overall, a good deal. I has to talk to the boss.

You think it's legit...AKA, I won't get a knock on my door from the police in 6 weeks and get charged with receiving stolen property.

Also, I think I am more interested in a Macbook or MacbookPro with 4 GB ram...we shall see.
It's legit. He has a 10 second 2g, has been in the club forever, has a family, etc. I bought a head, manifold, etc from him and was a great transaction.

Like I said, let me know if you want any additional info.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:20 AM

Yeah, we have all the required tools to test it here at the shop. I just wanted some more input from people I know that may have done this. I really don't want to do this 'crushing' method unless I absolutely have to. And then I will just let DSG do it, or swap back my greddy valve, which is adjustable, and run it for the tune only so I can reach the desired psi Chris wants. I just want to be prepared. And not have to worry about anything other than getting the car there, tuned, and being happy. Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!

Thanks guys
I ran a crushed 1g valve on my 2g and that held the 23PSI I ran daily no problem. I then switched to a 'Gus-modded' 1g valve. If you want more info on it, see here. Pretty cheap and easy way to have a valve that will not leak, but still off a 'quick release'.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1slowevo
I ran a IX metal valve for while before switching to a forge unit.
No problems running higher boost (28-32)
If you want to crush one, its not hard, just gotta be careful like Mikie said. Dont go to far or it wont open at all.
The 'crushing' mothod of the valve isn't what I am concerned about. It was the 'is it necessary' to have to do this in order to run the psi at the 23+ level without it leaking. There is a ton of mixed info saying 'yes it will hold' and 'no it won't hold'. Everyone with an answer. Gets old quick reading all the posts, and everyone goes in depth to justify who is wrong and why. As informative 'evom' is, its also one of teh biggest PITA to sort through to find the info you want.

I feel confident it will hold and I will be fine. Thanks for the advise guys...much appreciated
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Marshall O
I ran a crushed 1g valve on my 2g and that held the 23PSI I ran daily no problem. I then switched to a 'Gus-modded' 1g valve. If you want more info on it, see here. Pretty cheap and easy way to have a valve that will not leak, but still off a 'quick release'.
I did read this Marshall, thanks for lookin out. It seems to be very effective, and many poeple are running this in their Evo as well. Great write up too. I doubt I will have this issue, but if I am cornered by a dv issue, I will consider the "GusMod" but I am sure all will be fine
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So, in conclusion, I don't disagree with you (i think?), I do double clutch (I know), and heal toe is a medical procedure.
I dont think you can call that a conclusion.

I vote for heel toe mainly because i dont know how to double clutch. I know a lot of people who dont even heel toe/rev while downshifting and their transmissions have no issues. The tranny is overbuilt so i have no worries and worst case i am forced to get a shep trans.

Paul if you are driving the exige i would practice flat foot shifting Not your car.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dexmix
the macbook air is pretty f'ing sweet.
+100
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:50 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
So who is going to the uber suby meet tonight?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by MR Turco
So who is going to the uber suby meet tonight?
/cricketz

i got too much stuff to do to get ready for saturday.

i am hoping for 400 whp or a blown motor in the process of trying
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

From left field-

Have any of you been reading up on the OLED display technology? Just curious to see where this goes in the future. Sony has an 11" widescreen for like $2500. Expensive. But the screen is only 1/8" thick

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread