Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MR Turco
What a sh1tty day. Vegas how did the cermic coating go?
the parts are beautiful thanks to Mikie,
can't wait to get that biatch ripped apart tonight!!
wish me luck guys!
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:46 PM

Let's talk cams:

So, cams are on the to purchase list. Now I just need to figure out what I want. As far as my car is concerned, note it is not a daily driver (haven't even driven it since December!), and I would give up some low end driveability for more mid/high-range power. The eventual goal for the Evo is to have a 35R or similar turbo with all supporting mods, but this is still a ways away. So basically, I want something that I can still use with the stock turbo, but won't necessarily need to upgrade right away with a new set-up. The current goal is to max out the stock turbo.

I am strongly leaning towards a set of BC 280's (along with a set of springs & retainers). Reasons being price (no name brand mark-up *cough*HKS*cough* - a set is about $350!), great reviews, and personal friends who have them and love them. I realize what works for someone, may not work as well for another, which is why I am seeing what you guys think.

So, give me your thoughts and opinions. Other options are obviously HKS, Cosworth, GSC, etc. Keep in mind it is a IX (MIVEC FTW!)
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:48 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would go with the GSC equivalent cams. And I would talk to Vegas about springs and retainers. He mentioned he knew a guy i was thinking of going with.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 01:56 PM

I would go with the GSC equivalent cams. And I would talk to Vegas about springs and retainers. He mentioned he knew a guy i was thinking of going with.
Any reasoning? They are almost twice as much (which is not a huge deal), but haven't seen any comparisons really to show they are worth it (then again, I haven't had too much time to look )

Edit: In brief searching, I have found one vendor who was rather disappointed with the GSC's, but have read many people very happy with their BC's. Problem is it is so had to find actual DATA! Since I am dyno'ing the car next weekend, I think I can actually get some before and after numbers (granted there are always other variables such as weather). If someone can find some actual data showing why one set is better than another, please show me!!

Last edited by Marshall O; Apr 4, 2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old Apr 4, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Marshall O
Let's talk cams:

So, cams are on the to purchase list. Now I just need to figure out what I want. As far as my car is concerned, note it is not a daily driver (haven't even driven it since December!), and I would give up some low end driveability for more mid/high-range power. The eventual goal for the Evo is to have a 35R or similar turbo with all supporting mods, but this is still a ways away. So basically, I want something that I can still use with the stock turbo, but won't necessarily need to upgrade right away with a new set-up. The current goal is to max out the stock turbo.

I am strongly leaning towards a set of BC 280's (along with a set of springs & retainers). Reasons being price (no name brand mark-up *cough*HKS*cough* - a set is about $350!), great reviews, and personal friends who have them and love them. I realize what works for someone, may not work as well for another, which is why I am seeing what you guys think.

So, give me your thoughts and opinions. Other options are obviously HKS, Cosworth, GSC, etc. Keep in mind it is a IX (MIVEC FTW!)
You are going in the correct direction looking at cams and valvetrain parts. I have seen bad things come out of just buying an aggressive pr of cams. The main thing to look at when choosing what cams to purchase is what the car will be doing. street vs road course (low-mid power is key) vs 1/4mile (higher rpm powerband)
There is no definitive cam that is best for both a stock turbo and a 35r.
Big difference in the power curve.

for a IX I have seen good things out of the GSC's and the cosworths.
a good set of cams on a 35r powered car can make a big difference in the power the car makes

let me know if you want to discuss the valvetrain parts. I might even be able to get cams too
Old Apr 4, 2008, 02:06 PM
Evolved Member

turco I am out. see you soon
Old Apr 4, 2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by 1slowevo
You are going in the correct direction looking at cams and valvetrain parts. I have seen bad things come out of just buying an aggressive pr of cams. The main thing to look at when choosing what cams to purchase is what the car will be doing. street vs road course (low-mid power is key) vs 1/4mile (higher rpm powerband)
There is no definitive cam that is best for both a stock turbo and a 35r.
Big difference in the power curve.

for a IX I have seen good things out of the GSC's and the cosworths.
a good set of cams on a 35r powered car can make a big difference in the power the car makes

let me know if you want to discuss the valvetrain parts. I might even be able to get cams too
Thanks for the info Paul. After posting that I thought about it more, and I guess right now I want to get the most out of the stock turbo and go from there. I have never done any road courses, so definitely 1/4 mile is more important. Once the time comes for a larger turbo, I will swap out for whatever suits me at that time if need be. Same thing with valvetrain. With getting married and buying a house this year, it is unlikely that I will be doing much next year, so I will be on the stock turbo for a couple years anyways. And yes, I would like to hear some more on VT parts!
Old Apr 4, 2008, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Engine is torn down thanks to Turco's help.
She was a handful so far, hope tomorrow goes a little better.
Old Apr 5, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by IMR-TIM
Paulnsexr'z...you might like this thread. I am diggin the 'orange' pics
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=336372
me likey is an understatement...
Old Apr 5, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

yup, it pretty much will happen. At least 1 of the 4 bolts/nuts will fight you.
unless turcos is there... then they just remove themselves in phear
Old Apr 5, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Had a real busy morning here....but I did manage to just put the Walbro 255 pump in. Took about 35 minutes start to finish. The lock ring was a PITA to take out. But all in all, it went very smooth.

Up next is the BLOX mount...
Old Apr 5, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

is the 255 pump loud?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

hfc in, oil leak fixed, at least for now, that I can see, MBC installed...doing some testing tomorrow, but as long as all the lines hold, I'm good for the tune, just have to fix an annoying rattling sound...(probably a heatshield above the DP)
Old Apr 5, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

awesome paul! howd you fix the leak? just undo all the fittings for the pressure sensor and re-teflon/seat them? did you go with the relocation hose turcos mentioned? i take it you have to drain the oil?
Old Apr 5, 2008, 02:05 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Paul, what heatshield above the DP?

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread