Notices
Northeast Region Includes CT, MA, ME, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT.

Worcester/Boston Social Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2008, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by avengerhed
It's 250W, per speaker.

You have power coming in (500W) = P = I*V

For 2 loads in parallel, they both see the same (V)

But each sees 1/2 (I)

So for each load you get (V) * (I/2) which in your case is 250W
So if you wire in series, you see 2x power since resistance doubled (and so did voltage). But that's why the amp puts out less power at 8 ohms than 4? So in this case, if the amp is 500w @ 4ohm and 325w @ 8ohm, I'd be better off with the drivers in series since that would yield an effective 650w? Well, at least if I need more power....

Thanks!
Old May 23, 2008, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by crazymikie
So if you wire in series, you see 2x power since resistance doubled (and so did voltage). But that's why the amp puts out less power at 8 ohms than 4? So in this case, if the amp is 500w @ 4ohm and 325w @ 8ohm, I'd be better off with the drivers in series since that would yield an effective 650w? Well, at least if I need more power....

Thanks!

WTF? I didn't say any of that!!! I'll need to read what you wrote and digest it. I'll be back.

FYI, voltage doesn't double in series...unless you are talking about series power sources.
Old May 23, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Since your Voltage is constant, an amp "puts out less power" at 8 ohms than 4 because of the relationship between I and R, with respect to V

Doubling R means that you half I (v is constant)

Power = I * V or Power = I^2 * R

in this case

Power = I * V/2 or Power = (I^2/4)*(2R) = (I^2 * R)/2

I'm not sure why the amp's not rated at 1/2 the power when subjected to 8 ohms... it may be that AC is not always governed cleanly by Ohm's law... you could be dealing with RMS values, and phased compound impedances.... i dunno?

But now i go back to work, K?
Old May 23, 2008, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

and E=mc^2
Old May 23, 2008, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Since your Voltage is constant, an amp "puts out less power" at 8 ohms than 4 because of the relationship between I and R, with respect to V

Doubling R means that you half I (v is constant)

Power = I * V or Power = I^2 * R

in this case

Power = I * V/2 or Power = (I^2/4)*(2R) = (I^2 * R)/2

I'm not sure why the amp's not rated at 1/2 the power when subjected to 8 ohms... it may be that AC is not always governed cleanly by Ohm's law... you could be dealing with RMS values, and phased compound impedances.... i dunno?

But now i go back to work, K?
phased impedances relate directly to ratings, thats why you have to be careful which ratings they give you RMS or Peak. To make things more complicated - just because a speaker is rated for a higher peak wattage doesn't mean it will perform better then a lower peak rated speaker. I always prefer to know RMS ratings - because the RMS rating is not directly correlated to Peak, and RMS gives a better idea of sound quality. (you can't just take a peak rating and multiply by .707 to get RMS despite all the misinformation on the web. that only works with calculating RMS power - not equipment ratings)

Last edited by EvoBroMA; May 23, 2008 at 01:07 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Dex, if you worked here, maybe I could get them to name one of the FPGAs after you...
Old May 23, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Dex, if you worked here, maybe I could get them to name one of the FPGAs after you...
LOL

maybe you could coax me if instead of labeling the FPGA U1 on the PCB silkscreen - they labelled it DEX. I don't think that would ever get old... seeing a component labeled after me.
Old May 23, 2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by dexmix
phased impedances relate directly to ratings, thats why you have to be careful which ratings they give you RMS or Peak. To make things more complicated - just because a speaker is rated for a higher peak wattage doesn't mean it will perform better then a lower peak rated speaker. I always prefer to know RMS ratings - because the RMS rating is not directly correlated to Peak, and RMS gives a better idea of sound quality. (you can't just take a peak rating and multiply by .707 to get RMS despite all the misinformation on the web. that only works with calculating RMS power - not equipment ratings)
those are RMS ratings for the amp.

dextor- maybe i just call you and/or davidface later.

if you are curious, here is the amp:

http://www.oaudio.com/500W_SUBAMP.html

and then two of these suckers:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...products_id=31

the speakers are dual voice coil where each coil is ~ 4ohm.

so far, i've figure i can wire the coils in parallel or series and end up with a 8 ohm or 2 ohm speakers. then i can wire the speakers in parallel or serial and end up with 16 ohm, 4 ohm or 1 ohm.

i think my calculations were buggered before....

in any case, should i wire the coils in serial and then put the speakers in parallel to one another or should i wire the coils in parallel and put the speakers in series, or, does it not matter? essentially, which is better- both produce a 4 ohm load but i don't know if there are differences....
Old May 23, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

the speakers should be in parallel.

i would think that the coils would be spec'd for how you should wire them but I dunno.... an audio expert, I am not.
Old May 23, 2008, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

so far, i've figure i can wire the coils in parallel or series and end up with a 8 ohm or 2 ohm speakers. then i can wire the speakers in parallel or serial and end up with 16 ohm, 4 ohm or 1 ohm.

in any case, should i wire the coils in serial and then put the speakers in parallel to one another or should i wire the coils in parallel and put the speakers in series, or, does it not matter? essentially, which is better- both produce a 4 ohm load but i don't know if there are differences....

so you got 2 DVCs each coil is 4 Ohms...
I think most people would wire the the two coils of single speaker in series, and then put the two speakers in parallel, like you initially stated.

this would keep the impedance at a safe 4 ohms of Mono load.

edit: meant 4 not 8 ohms. the Amp is rated for a 4 Ohm load - anything 4 or over is good, but less then 4 and you are shortening the life span of the AMP if you push the full 500W.

edit 2: still kind of confused how stereo or multiple channels works...

edit 3: your second 4 Ohm configuration would also work - and doesn't make a difference in sound, but you might actually save some wire if you do the coils in parralel and the speakers in series. all depends where the speakers sit compared to each other.

Last edited by EvoBroMA; May 23, 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 02:55 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turco is broken. I spent the day detoxing/recovering and i am pretty sure i have the flu...
Old May 23, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolved Member

I will be over in a bit. my car audio and competition will finally come in handy
Old May 23, 2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Turco is broken. I spent the day detoxing/recovering and i am pretty sure i have the flu...
Not good buddy. When are you coming home?
Old May 23, 2008, 03:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i am home. i slept about 15 hours today i want to sleep more but in attempts to not be awake all night i am forcing myself to stay awake.
Old May 23, 2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by MR Turco
i am home. i slept about 15 hours today i want to sleep more but in attempts to not be awake all night i am forcing myself to stay awake.
Oh, I suck apparently. I hope you get better! I have $$ from you too! I keep forgetting to give it to you. Please remind me next time you see me!

Quick Reply: Worcester/Boston Social Thread